calorie help

Options
Hello, I'm looking for advice on my starting calorie limit, my bmr is 1717 according to an online calculator. If I set the loss goal to 2lb a week it sets me at 1410 a day. Does this sound ok or should I manually adjust it? Today I had it set to 1600

Thanks

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Do you plan to eat back your exercise calories?
  • helentiller83
    helentiller83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I understand that it can be best to do that. I would do that on gym days, yes. Although that is likely 500 calories max a day
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm looking for advice on my starting calorie limit, my bmr is 1717 according to an online calculator. If I set the loss goal to 2lb a week it sets me at 1410 a day. Does this sound ok or should I manually adjust it? Today I had it set to 1600

Thanks

Why would you eat below your BMR? That's not advisable.
  • helentiller83
    Options
    That's why I was querying it, because the mfp default was very low.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    That's why I was querying it, because the mfp default was very low.

Try using a TDEE calculator instead. http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

You can enter custom goals in MFP if the results you get from the TDEE calculator are different.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I understand that it can be best to do that. I would do that on gym days, yes. Although that is likely 500 calories max a day

The important thing is to pick a plan and stick with it for 4-6 weeks. Then reassess based on results and how you feel. My suggestion for you: set it to 1600. "Eat back" only half of your exercise calories (so 250 at the most). If you're not losing fast enough after a month, then maybe think about re-setting it to 1400. But that's probably as low as I'd go for you right now.
  • helentiller83
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try it and see how it goes. :)