Kettlebell workouts

Options
I just got some new kettlebells...3lbs & 5lbs! Please let me know if you use kettlebells in your workout! Are there any pros? Cons? How often do you use them? Results? Any feedback will be helpful!!

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    kettlebells can be great, but the average purse weighs more than that (mine sure does), so you'll need heavier ones if you want the workout to be effective.

Or use your purse. That's what I do.
  • MzKym1981
    MzKym1981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    kettlebells can be great, but the average purse weighs more than that (mine sure does), so you'll need heavier ones if you want the workout to be effective.

Or use your purse. That's what I do.

:laugh: Ok thanks...will do!!
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    MzKym32 I purchased my set of Kettlebells about 2 weeks ago. I am hooked for life. I love working out with the bells, I prefer that over any other workout. However I do change it up. I started with the 5lb bell, just to get the form down properly. Watch Delaine Ross, RKC TL demonstrates How to Perform the Kettlebell Swing on youtube she gives great instructions on proper form. That is so very important. I now do my workout with fitness blenders on you tube. I use 10lbs weights now. Do want is comfortable for you and slowly increase your weights. Good luck on you workouts, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
  • MzKym1981
    MzKym1981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    MzKym32 I purchased my set of Kettlebells about 2 weeks ago. I am hooked for life. I love working out with the bells, I prefer that over any other workout. However I do change it up. I started with the 5lb bell, just to get the form down properly. Watch Delaine Ross, RKC TL demonstrates How to Perform the Kettlebell Swing on youtube she gives great instructions on proper form. That is so very important. I now do my workout with fitness blenders on you tube. I use 10lbs weights now. Do want is comfortable for you and slowly increase your weights. Good luck on you workouts, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Thanks so much!!
  • emilybeatrice1
    emilybeatrice1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has a DVD called rip it with weights. Its only like 25 min. Long and you use the kettlebell. I got it at Walmart for like ten dollars. I use an 8 pound kettlebell
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    i use them but a three and five lb kettlebell wont do anything for you. minimum starting weight should be abt 10 lbs. Right now i use a 15 and 20 lb kettle bell depending on what workout im doing. you can find some really great workouts on youtube.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are amazing...but I agree the ones you got are pretty much useless. I use 12 and 16 lb bells and love them. Great for your back, abs, shoulders, thighs, butt....you get a good quick all over workout. :) Depending on the weight I use, I feel it in any combination of the areas I listed.

One thing to watch for is form, it's very easy to injur yourself using these...especially your back.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I use a mini medicine ball with a strap. I'm only using the 5lb one for exercises like tricep extensions (standing up) and tricep kickbacks because my 20lb dumbbell still feels really heavy doing those exercises (weak arms). I am thinking about getting an 8 or 10lb to move things along. I also swing it up and down it while doing squats because I'm afraid if I drop the dumbbell I'll break my coffee table lol.