A cool little motivator

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    I use this technique a lot with clients who seem to feel that all their work is for naught. "I've been doing this for 3 months now and I'm not losing fast enough" is a common complaint. So I take the weight they've lost and have them do a few sets of stair climbs (actually climbing stairs while holding lost weight). Funny how it changes their attitudes right away.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lalee93
    lalee93 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I really needed it today. I've never had a stall this long, and I feel it is hormone related, but it really has me down. I know it will work itself out soon, but it can be discouraging. This was a nice picker-upper.

:flowerforyou:
  • cpislander
    cpislander Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 7 months to lose 34 lbs but that 34 lbs is gone and I look at it this way. Those months would have gone by anyway and if I hadn't changed my way of eating, I'd still be fat! Some weeks I lose nothing or 1/2 a lb at most but most months I lose 3 to 4 lbs so keep your goal in mind and it will come off. I stopped eating all white sugar, potatoes, pasta and bread to begin with. Now I eat one very small potato once a week and one slice of low carb bread. I will never go back to white sugar, corn or vegetable oils, all bad stuff!
  • rcillo219
    rcillo219 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks I needed this today :)
  • jennybinney1987
    jennybinney1987 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting this.
  • logiatype
    logiatype Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I really needed it today. I've never had a stall this long, and I feel it is hormone related, but it really has me down. I know it will work itself out soon, but it can be discouraging. This was a nice picker-upper.

:flowerforyou:
    My weight finally dropped after a 3 month stall. I didn't do anything other than continue with my goal. So, like many others on MFP have said, keep at it!
    :smile:
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic post! :)

I would love to toss all the weight I lost (90lbs) in a backpack and carry it around for a day but I'm afraid I'd fall over at this point. It's really hard to see what you've really lost until you try to carry that weight again. It's pretty amazing what the human body can/will do.
  • kbailey374
    kbailey374 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    good point! thanks!
  • Twix856
    Twix856 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I feel like I'm moving at a snails pace compared to others. I'm nowhere near where I thought I would be.
  • nlsalvatore
    nlsalvatore Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Love this idea! Thanks for sharing!
  • nlsalvatore
    nlsalvatore Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I also use a certain pair of shorts - how they fit at the start of summer, and every few weeks after that. It's easy to see progress that way when the scale isn't moving as fast as I'd like!
  • StrongHealthyPowerful
    StrongHealthyPowerful Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    No problem guys! I know that some days I am feeling super positive and amazing and superwoman-y and other days I need to be reminded that I’m doing a great job and I’m totally worth it. Overall, I’m just trying to be more positive about myself.

I love MFP and weight loss can be an amazingly beneficial thing, but I know I can get caught up in the negative aspects of my body and weight, and forget to appreciate it for what it is currently. So many times I’ve heard people say “oh I wish I had appreciated my body when ___(‘I was younger’, ‘at that weight’, etc)___” I don’t want to miss out on all this awesomeness that’s going on now, even though I may not be at my goal.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    It's a great post and a great idea.
    I carried a new piece of furniture from our garage to our living room yesterday. I had to carry it up a small rise and then up a set of stairs and I remember thinking "Man, this thing is heavy...". Getting it up the stairs sucked. When I set it down I noticed on the box that it weighed 5lbs LESS than what I've lost. Just crazy.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    What a great perspective.
    I've lost $32 of butter!
  • melissaamooney
    melissaamooney Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great stuff. Be kind to ourselves. We are works in progress.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I try to do this everyday at the gym, right now I'm doing mostly cardio, when I'm finished I go the free weight section and pick up a pair of dumbbells that most closely equal my loss. I work with them for a couple of minutes, nothing crazy just some shrugs and maybe carry them around for a while and do some simple moves. It helps me to try to keep things in perspective.

The one thing that is seriously missing from this and the other websites I've found is the emotional help in dealing with and understanding what is happening to your body (in relation to the weight loss). The way I still see myself vs how I really look is something I never expected nor even dreamed might be an issue. I think the more that you can do to have a physical understanding of what you've lost is a step to being able to understand (comprehend) the changes that you have made.
  • StrongHealthyPowerful
    StrongHealthyPowerful Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shannishan05
    shannishan05 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Like it!!!
  • jkbarrack
    jkbarrack Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What a great Post and a great idea! Thank you.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Love your post. I always imagine going to a building supply store and picking up a bag of concrete mix. Then ponder carrying it to the end of the isle and back. Then think about carrying it all day every day, wow!