Why am I always hungry?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Are you using TDEE? If so, run your numbers again with the new exercise days added plus your new weight if you've gained/lost.

I am using TDEE, below is my training plan. How many times of training per week should I consider with this training plan to calculate my TDEE?

Monday: Workout A on machines: Arm Curl (6x8), Lat pull (6x8), Dips (6x8), Lying Triceps (6x8), Shoulder press (6x8), Chin up (6x8), Cardio (20 minutes running)

Tuesday: moderate cardio (cycling 26 miles)

Wednesday: Free weights work out: Arm Curl (6x8), Tricep Extensions (6x8), Bench press (6x8), Crunch (6x30), Shoulder press (6x8), Lying Fly (6x8), Supine bicep curl (6x8), Squat (6x8)

Thursday: moderate cardio (cycling 26 miles)

Friday: Workout B on machines: Leg press (6x8), Leg Curls (6x8), Chest press (6x8), Chest fly (6x8), Arm Curl (6x8), Leg raise (6x8), Cardio (20 minutes running).

Saturday: rest day

Sunday: Workout A

And the following week I switch workout A with workout B. I am trying to do each set at my maximum (sometimes I only manage to do 3 reps).

I'd consider that 6 days per week or the highest activity level.

Really? I really underestimated my TDEE... Based on http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/, my TDEE is 2841 kcal. Does it mean I can eat more :)?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Are you using TDEE? If so, run your numbers again with the new exercise days added plus your new weight if you've gained/lost.

I am using TDEE, below is my training plan. How many times of training per week should I consider with this training plan to calculate my TDEE?

Monday: Workout A on machines: Arm Curl (6x8), Lat pull (6x8), Dips (6x8), Lying Triceps (6x8), Shoulder press (6x8), Chin up (6x8), Cardio (20 minutes running)

Wednesday: Free weights work out: Arm Curl (6x8), Tricep Extensions (6x8), Bench press (6x8), Crunch (6x30), Shoulder press (6x8), Lying Fly (6x8), Supine bicep curl (6x8), Squat (6x8)

Friday: Workout B on machines: Leg press (6x8), Leg Curls (6x8), Chest press (6x8), Chest fly (6x8), Arm Curl (6x8), Leg raise (6x8), Cardio (20 minutes running).

And the following week I switch workout A with workout B. I am trying to do each set at my maximum (sometimes I only manage to do 3 reps).

Really? I really underestimated my TDEE... Based on http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/, my TDEE is 2841 kcal. Does it mean I can eat more :)?

Probably-- especially if you're trying to gain weight.

Keep in mind that your logging has to be accurate and the TDEE calculator is an estimate and adjust according to your actual results.

Also keep in mind if you bump up your calories you may gain temporary water weight at first.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options

Keep in mind that your logging has to be accurate and the TDEE calculator is an estimate and adjust according to your actual results.

Also keep in mind if you bump up your calories you may gain temporary water weight at first.

OK thanks for your advice. I noticed after a night out, the scale goes up (up to 3kgs some days) it's probably water weight.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me when I switched from moderate lifting to heavy lifting. The first two weeks or so I felt like I couldn't keep up with my appetite.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Definitely run your numbers again, at 6 days, as acrylics said, and if you haven't changed it up since gaining weight, no wonder you're hungry!

I'd track protein too as someone else said. Have you tried the IIFYM.com calculator, I quite like that one.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

OK thanks for your advice. I noticed after a night out, the scale goes up (up to 3kgs some days) it's probably water weight.

Yes, exactly like that.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options
    Definitely run your numbers again, at 6 days, as acrylics said, and if you haven't changed it up since gaining weight, no wonder you're hungry!

I'd track protein too as someone else said. Have you tried the IIFYM.com calculator, I quite like that one.

According to IIFYM, my TDEE is 2851 kcal with Mifflin-St Jeor: 1m94, 81 kg and train 6 times a week.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    When I was lifting I used to have a can of Tuna after my session, really filling and full of protein, as peolpe have said you may need more carbs to fuel your workouts and your body is telling you this?.

I also used to eat a lot of chopped apple with cottage cheese for mid morning snacks when training.
  • swaye78
    swaye78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    could be muscle mass. muscle weighs more than fat
  • mchlsmit
    mchlsmit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You probably aren't eating enough. 2600 is probably not much more than your BMR if you aren't aiming for fat loss. Be careful with the beer (no real nutritional value) and the peanut butter (good protein but lots of fat also). Be careful that you don't overtrain. Your reps are unusual - most body builders stick with 3 sets of 10 - 15 reps. if you aim for failure every time you will overtrain and all things will come to a screeching halt.

Try eating 5-6 times a day with a ratio of 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat. aim for 500 calorie meals. after a few weeks adjust your intake/ratios.
  • taylorbrown1792
    taylorbrown1792 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You might need protein.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    could be muscle mass. muscle weighs more than fat

HMMMMMMMMM
  • skjones0323
    skjones0323 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would say you are probably not getting enough protein and/or fiber...both tend to help a person feel full.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry at night, so I eat at night. So if you're hungry at night or whenever try adjusting accordingly.

Then try looking at your macros, mainly protein. I find if I don't eat enough protein then I'm hungry.

I eat 2800 cals and I am full and I'm a lot bigger than you and if I didn't eat as much protein as I do I'd be starving.

I do 35% protein, 35% carbs, 30% fat.
  • lisabaillargeon9
    Options
    You should look at Juice Plus+ Complete which is packed with nutrients and is perfect for pre-workout and/or post-workout. Check it out at http://www.juiceplus.com/+lb36137
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am permanently hungry :-(

I get enough protein, and lots of fibre, but have recently had to cut back by 150 cal per day as weight suddenly skyrocketed despite keeping net calories the same. Trying to balance it for the right rate of weight gain is a pain.
  • ConnorS879
    ConnorS879 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Protein is the key to weight loss and muscle build up. You should also consume high protein within 30 minutes of working out. Use MFP to monitor you protein. 3 ounces of chicken is 20 grams. You have to eat a lot to get the 100 to 120 grams of protein a day.

100-120g of protein is way too low in my opinion, I think he should be eating at least 180-200g on a rest day and 220g on a training day, 300-350g of carbs and about 90-100g of fat, thats plenty of calories for a grown male to use to gain weight and build him some muscle :)