I have BEETS

Options
bmannen1
bmannen1 Posts: 77 Member
I got a bunch of beets in a fresh veggie basket I got. I have never used them in anything before. Recipes?

Replies

• sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    MMmmm! Borscht for sure! I don't have a recipe per se as i tend to toss and taste but there are many online you could find. You can make it with meat or without. I just love it. Beets are also fabulous in stew. And my step mom makes some great beet pickles. All of which I am sure you could google some great recipes for. Sorry if this isn't the suggestions you wanted, but I hope it helps lead you to a great dish :)

Oh! And often beets can be used in baking - like in a chocolate cake for example. It will add richness, moisture and some nutrients. I believe you use it in place of some fats in your cake - like cutting the butter/oil.
  • sonotahipster
    sonotahipster Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There's this beet and quinoa salad that my family sometimes makes that I LOVE. And the recipe comes from nutrition experts for the USA Olympic team, so it's pretty healthy. ;)

You can find the recipe on this page: http://www.teamusa.org/about-the-usoc/athlete-development/sport-performance/nutrition/resources-and-fact-sheets . Scroll to the bottom and there's a section for salads. Click on the beet and quinoa salad, and it'll open up as a PDF. Enjoy! :D
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Slice off greens, saute in oil with garlic. Top with a fried egg or three.

For the beets, scrub, slice up, toss in olive oil, garlic, and thyme, roast in the over til they're as soft as you want them. Add some salt and NOM.

Sidenote: my pee is always a different color after eating beets. Just to warn you
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Make tons of this in the Summer. Wonderful recipe

Pickled Beets

Ingredients
    8 medium fresh beets
    1 cup vinegar
    1/2 cup sugar
    1-1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
    1-1/2 teaspoons whole allspice
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Nutritional Facts
    1 serving (1 cup) equals 71 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.

Directions
    Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Place in a Large pan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 25-30 minutes or until tender. Remove from water; cool. Peel beets and slice; place in a bowl and set aside.
    In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, cloves, allspice and salt. Bring to a boil; boil 5 minutes. Pour over beets. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Drain before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
    Originally published as Pickled Beets in Reminisce Extra February 1995, p47

Read more: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pickled-beets#ixzz38n9IGwfB
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Roast with olive oil, salt and pepper and add to a salad with arugula, mandarin oranges and feta.