spray tans anyone?

Options
whos had a spray tan done before??? i thought of getting one for my wedding..cuz im getting married in may and im wearing a dress n dont want to be white as a ghost but dont wanna use a tannin bed...any suggestions should i do this??? if u did urs how did urs come out?

I HAVE A SUN TAN CITY NEAR ME....ANYONE KNOW OF THEM AND IF ITS A MACHINE OR PEOPLE SPRAYING U???

Replies

• Saraph
    Saraph Posts: 3
    Options
    I've tried it this weekend and the results are great, none of that orange Jersey Shore look, it looks very natural. The only thing is that you have to keep the sticky product on your skin for 5-8 hours before you shower and during that time, you really are orange!!
    But after a shower, il looks great!
  • MrsBrosco
    MrsBrosco Posts: 295
    Options
    I have had them done and I acutally used to manualy spray clients for a local tanning salon. I would highly recommend it AS LONG AS IT'S A PERSON DOING IT. Do NOT stand in a booth to have it done. It tends to turn out blotchy and orange, darker in areas than others. I have seen horrible results from the machines. They also make some lotions to gradually add a bit of color over time, sold right on the shelves at the grocery store. They dont look too bad, just be sure to clean in between your fingers and along your wrist line after applying it. I would try all the options out now, months before your wedding to see which gives you the best results for your skin tone :wink:
    Hope this helps!

Congrats on getting married!!!
  • KhollerSA05
    KhollerSA05 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have done them in the past. before you go make sure you take a shower and exfoliate. If you have any lotions on your skin when they put the sunless tanner on it can cause it to streak. The one that i had done was in a booth and it came out just fine.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have not gone yet, but was discussing this last night with my friend, who is also getting married in May and doesn't want to be white either!! She wants to get spray tanned once, and then go to the tanning bed to kind of "bake" the color in. I have seen good and bad as far as spray tans. A couple of months ago, I asked another friend how long she'd been tanning for and she told me she was getting spray tanned once a week and I was amazed!! She had a beautiful bronze color that looked like she'd been sitting on the beach for a week! BUT, I've also seen some get it done and look like an orange. I'd love to see some responses to this as well, from people who've had this done!
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I like the Jergens one it is a gradual builder that works great! However, before my wedding I had a spraytan from a booth and love it. Good luck! :happy:
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I am a spray tan aholic :) I recommend VersaSpa if you have a tanning salon that offers them (it's a type of spray tan machine). Make sure the person shows you the proper way to stand and how to use the machine!!! This will ensure an even tan. OK so
    1. Get your spray tan the day before your wedding, even 2 days before so you look more natural
    2. Exfoliate the CRAP out of your skin before you get your tan and shave etc as well
    3. Workout before you go to your appt because after I would recommend not sweating too much for 24 hours for optimum tan cuteness ;-)
    4. Wear loose clothing, black preferably so that any tan transfer isn't super apparent.
    5. No makeup so that your face gets tan too! :)
    Go do it! It's a much healthier way to get a tan and it looks great for about a week. Don't shower for as long as possible afterward, I try to wait at least 12 hours.
  • KellyS0828
    KellyS0828 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had it done through Image Sun. Turned out great. Looked natural. However, I would have it done a couple of times before your wedding so they can determine the right shade for you. Depending on the shade you are looking for, they will spray heavier or lighter.
    Also, you can use the gradual tan lotion from Bath and Body works from True Blue Spa. It works pretty good. Natural looking. I think it's called Glow and Steady. The Spray tan is more professional though. I also agree to go to a place where the person sprays it on.
  • misshenn78
    Options
    I would totally recommend it!!! I have been in countless weddings, and it is a perfect excuse to have a glow! :) I would recommend going to a salon that you go into a room, and someone sprays you. (Don't do a machine.) You will want to do this a couple days before the wedding, and when you do it, I wouldn't plan on on having any plans after that. You can't shower for a good 8 hours (could be different.) Also...one thing I learned the hard way....be careful if it is RAINING! The first time I had it done, it was raining out, and I didn't think much of it. Well the gal that sprayed me walked me to my car very carefully under an umbrella, but that didn't help me stepping right into a puddle!!! Needless to say when I got my petty the next day, I had to have her scrub the tan off that foot...(it looked like I had a diese on my foot!) Good luck!! (Many salons at least in my area, do a special pricing for 1st time goers, so it shouldn't be too much...I paid about $25)
  • LOVEsummer
    Options
    Oh yes^^ If you can go somewhere and be manually sprayed (and you aren't super shy) that is by far the best way to do it :)!!
  • Michelelapointe
    Options
    I have had done the spray tan twice, and it's DEFINITLY something you want to try to see if you like before the wedding. I LOVED the natural look of the "versa spa". while the "Mystic" tan left me blotchy. It all depends on the machine, and be sure to ask lots of questions, or you might get a "double dose" like I did. woops!
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    I would totally recommend it!!! I have been in countless weddings, and it is a perfect excuse to have a glow! :) I would recommend going to a salon that you go into a room, and someone sprays you. (Don't do a machine.) You will want to do this a couple days before the wedding, and when you do it, I wouldn't plan on on having any plans after that. You can't shower for a good 8 hours (could be different.) Also...one thing I learned the hard way....be careful if it is RAINING! The first time I had it done, it was raining out, and I didn't think much of it. Well the gal that sprayed me walked me to my car very carefully under an umbrella, but that didn't help me stepping right into a puddle!!! Needless to say when I got my petty the next day, I had to have her scrub the tan off that foot...(it looked like I had a diese on my foot!) Good luck!! (Many salons at least in my area, do a special pricing for 1st time goers, so it shouldn't be too much...I paid about $25)

SHOULD I GET MY PEDI BEFORE THE TAN???
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    Oh yes^^ If you can go somewhere and be manually sprayed (and you aren't super shy) that is by far the best way to do it :)!!

HAVE U TRYED SUN TAN CITY?
  • misshenn78
    Options
    I have gotten my pedi's after the tan. So my toes are really fresh, opposed to letting the tan set in a couple days. Just tell the people who are doing your pedi, and don't soak too long and let them scrub too hard on your legs. :)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I am also a white-y ghost girl, who happens to be getting married this year too!

I would say to forget the spray tans, bottled tans, and all that jazz. All the vogue models in the wedding magazines all have creamy white skin, its the new thing, and it makes for gorgeous pictures.

I used to be obsessed with having darker skin because I was made fun of quite a bit for it when I was younger, but for some reason I quit caring this year, and have been so much happier because of it! (I'm not saying you have these same feelings :smile:
    Im just simply saying.

I think in years to come you will be much happier with your pictures if its your all natural beautiful creamy white skin. Plus you can definately try out all the lotions months before, but what if you accidentally apply them wrong, or the person applying it, or the machine applying does it wrong, or it ends up blotchy? then you are screwed for your wedding, it takes a few days atleast for it to come off, and scrubbing with a steel sponge wont even work taking it off. I have tried them all, and I haven't been impressed or ever thought "wow this looks so natural" with any of them. I have never been complimented on my "tan skin" and people have always been able to ask "hey did you get a spray tan?"

If you should choose to do a spray or bottled tan I would reccommend Victoria's secrets, they have a bronzer brush that you just brush on. its natural, has a tint of sparkle to it, and completely wash off-able immediately! I used to work for them and was the whitest of the group! lol I would wear it at work to display and demonstrate it! :) I don't know when it comes out, because they pull it out for summer, but I would say if your wedding is in may you have a good chance of it being available.

I hope my opinion helped! and congrats on getting married! I am sure you are ridiculously excited! because I know I am :happy:
  • jtgill
    jtgill Posts: 48
    Options
    I had one done for my sister-in-laws wedding in a machine and it scared the crap outta me! BUT it looked great and wasn't very expensive, I would do it again...in fact I am going to for my brother-in-laws wedding in June! Best wishes and congrats on getting married!
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What SHE said below!!!! Find a salon that has VersaSpa...these booths are AWESOME....NOTHING like Mystic Tan or the other competitors. I don't really do these in the winter (but I'm going to do one before my next 'progress pic' in a bikini...ha) I do these all spring/summer long. Totally hooked. VersaSpa ROOOCCCKKSS.
    I am a spray tan aholic :) I recommend VersaSpa if you have a tanning salon that offers them (it's a type of spray tan machine). Make sure the person shows you the proper way to stand and how to use the machine!!! This will ensure an even tan. OK so
    1. Get your spray tan the day before your wedding, even 2 days before so you look more natural
    2. Exfoliate the CRAP out of your skin before you get your tan and shave etc as well
    3. Workout before you go to your appt because after I would recommend not sweating too much for 24 hours for optimum tan cuteness ;-)
    4. Wear loose clothing, black preferably so that any tan transfer isn't super apparent.
    Go do it! It's a much healthier way to get a tan and it looks great for about a week. Don't shower for as long as possible afterward, I try to wait at least 12 hours.
  • LOVEsummer
    Options
    if you are french tipping your toes just be sure to use the barrier cream (a thick lotion they provide) on your toes so they don't turn yellow. If you are getting your toes painted a color then you can go lighter on the barrier cream and be safe but either way get the pedi before is my advice... and yes stay away from Mystic tan.. it's splotchy at best.
  • vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I used to work for ultra tan and we did spray tans they work well and keep u tan for a week, u just need to exfoliate b4 doing it and cant shower for up to 3 hours after
  • efahey
    efahey Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i totally want to try VersaSpa now! you girls are amazing! xo
    What SHE said below!!!! Find a salon that has VersaSpa...these booths are AWESOME....NOTHING like Mystic Tan or the other competitors. I don't really do these in the winter (but I'm going to do one before my next 'progress pic' in a bikini...ha) I do these all spring/summer long. Totally hooked. VersaSpa ROOOCCCKKSS.
  • mommyschock
    Options
    Yes, they are so much fun and so quick and easy!! Definetly have a person at a salon trained to do so. I have had many friends try the machines and it doesnt come out nearly as even!!! good luck!! ps. i have a son named kaleb also,lol