How much should I eat after sleeping in?

Options
Hey, everyone! I'm 18, on summer break, and lately I've been sleeping in REALLY late. Like, for the past week I've been getting up between 11 am and noon. So, I'm wondering, should I still eat a net amount of 1500 calories a day if I sleep through breakfast?

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone! I'm 18, on summer break, and lately I've been sleeping in REALLY late. Like, for the past week I've been getting up between 11 am and noon. So, I'm wondering, should I still eat a net amount of 1500 calories a day if I sleep through breakfast?

When are you going to bed?
  • sonotahipster
    sonotahipster Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Haha, like, between 1 and 2 am. I know I should go to bed and get up earlier, but I work in the afternoons and normally don't get home until 10 o'clock.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    LOL! Bloody lazy teenagers :laugh:

Thing is though, your body does still use energy when you are sleeping. All your basic metabolic functions are still going, you toss and turn etc.

Your BMR, or basal metabolic rate, is how many calories you'd burn if you were in a coma. Your TDEE is how many calories you burn when you add moving and waking and getting out of bed to that. Depending on your normal daily activity level, your TDEE is going to be above your BMR, but not by thousands of calories. Things that change your activity level throughout the day will affect your TDEE. By staying in bed an extra few hours, you may depress your TDEE by a (wild *kitten* guess here) 100 or so, but not by a highly significant amount.

But I'm guessing that since you are at home for the break, your entire schedule has changed (not going to classes etc), which is also going to have an impact on your TDEE. Your Mum is going to be buying you treats, which is going to up your calorie intake. etc etc...

Bottom line: If the 1500 you mention is still putting you in a deficit then you will still lose.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    What about people who work the night shift - do you think they don't eat because they're not up at the typical breakfast, lunch & dinner time? Your body doesn't tell time like that. Eat your same calories no matter what your sleep schedule. (and only 11 or noon? Amateur. My teen can sleep until 4 or 5 in the afternoon. :laugh: )
  • sonotahipster
    sonotahipster Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'll try to keep my net intake at 1500 cal. :) Nice to hear from you all!