One Week In...

Options
Well no surprise, here I am, one week in to my latest fitness kick, and I feel like I have absolutely no motivation. This happens every time, I'm super motivated at the start, and then a week in I get overwhelmed by how much further there is to go, and how much work it all requires, and I start to think that maybe I'm just happier being overweight. I know I'm not, but I just have no motivation.

Any suggestions for ways to increase motivation would be greatly appreciated, I really don't want to give up this time.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Quit making excuses and own yourself. If you want to look and feel better, follow the plan. If you don't, don't.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    For me, I have to do something I enjoy and that helps. I got down to where "onederland" was actually a week or 2 away and totally lost it:sad:
    Back in the game and down 2# so here we go!

Find something you enjoy doing for exercise and pick a reward for each milestone you reach!

Best of luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • NCSteveVH
    NCSteveVH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When I lost nearly 50 lbs two years ago, what worked for me was to set a bunch of short term, attainable goals. I never thought about losing 50 pounds; instead I focused about losing a pound each week. Sounds minor, but in a month it was 4 pounds; in three months it was 12 pounds; in six months it was 24 pounds. I printed a generic calendar and put down my anticipated weight loss & anticipated weight each week. Every week that I hit my goal, I was motivated to hit the next one. Some weeks I hit my goal, some weeks I was under/over. But over time it evened out. Each short term success kept me motivated.

Not sure what your goal is, but you don't want to look back a year from now and be asking yourself the same question. As I read somewhere -- "if you're tired of starting over, stop quitting."

Good luck -- you can do it!!
  • DanZiehm
    DanZiehm Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I speak from experience when I say this... You're young and you have a lot of living to do! Life is so much easier when you are healthy and in shape. I have struggled with my weight most of my life and I think of the things I have missed out on... going on roller coaster rides with my daughter! dancing with my wife!! looking in the mirror and liking what I see!!!

Don't quit! Anything worth doing is worth the hard work!!!
  • Terraforcejenny
    Terraforcejenny Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Is the problem with the food or the exercise, or both? For exercise, I will be frank; until I figured out that I enjoyed Hothouse Yoga, I really, REALLY hated working out. However, I found ways around that:

Listening to audiobooks while exercising was a nice change from music, and kept me more distracted. Also, radioshows like Welcome to Nightvale (I suggest Podbay for more audio suggestions).
    For food, I started distracting myself while I ate; I'd have a plate of healthy food that I'd rather not eat, so I'd put on a show and eat it all while watching it. I got this from the "don't eat junkfood in front of the tv, you wont notice how much you eat!". Turns out the same is true for raw spinach and bananas :)

I also started collecting a board of motivational phrases; those were more to get me pumped up, but when it comes down to it, getting started is the hardest. Once I'm walking or exercising, I'm into it; it's the action of getting started that's the hardest.

If you haven't tried this already, find a mentor or someone who can call you out on it. You don't want someone who's so tightknit that you can't trust them to be a harda**; if it's firm, obvious truths that get you going ,find someone who is incredibly frank and check in with them. Motivate each other; send each other messages. Sometimes you just can't muster up the motivation solo, but the idea of letting someone down can be what gives you a final push.

Last suggestion! Join a class; when you're dropping cash and scheduled time on something, it's easier to have an incentive to go. Just don't choose something you find distasteful; I find spinclasses to be a good, safe bet, but I have a bunch of friends who swear by zumba.
  • kourtneykaren
    Options
    @ jwdieter, I'm not really one for the "tough love" so not helpful, but thanks anyway.

@ 212ackley thank you! I'll try to find something I enjoy doing :)

@ NCSteveVH I really like that quote, thank you!! I starting doing something similar actually, but I made my first goal at thanksgiving, so maybe I'll make a closer goal! Also wow 50 pounds, good for you!

@ Hudson732001 thank you for the confidence!! I'll try and keep in mind what my goals are and try to get motivation from there!!

@terrforcejen yeah I agree with you, once I'm at the gym or working out, I could do it for hours, I just need motivation to go. Thank you for all your suggestions, I definitely like the idea of audiobooks!! Especially because I'm trying to learn french, so listening to french audiobooks would be a total distraction!