sneakers

Options
I don't know if you guys can help, give me direction/guidance.
I dislike my current sneakers that I wear to the gym. Sometimes they are fine, other times either my foot aches and I have to stop, or I get a wicked blister. They are reebok something...I have never paid attention before but I do know that they are crosstrainers.
I would like to get a new pair of shoes, but I have some problems. I have a small, WIDE foot. I am not a runner, but I do try to run on the treadmill at times. Most of the time my cardio consists of step aerobics, kickboxing, stairclimber, plyo. I also have a very limited budget, so I don't have the luxery of buying the best, $200 shoes.
recommendations? Anyone have good experiences with brands that work for wide feet at a reasonable price?

Replies

• Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    New Balance often offers wide widths, and they come in a range of prices. I find that their shoes run short, so don't order them online unless you've tried them on. I only wear Asics, and they offer some wide widths. They come in a wide range of prices, but the only ones that offer the support my feet/back need are the $100+ ones.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    My advice is to find a 'runners' store and have them fit you. We have a local place that actually puts you through some test before they recommend a shoe. They check things like your balance and your gait.
  • patty6473
    Options
    I too have a small foot that is wide. I found a pair of Nike Zoom at Sneaker King that fit great! They are not wide width, but the shoes run wide. I think I paid $55 for them! I hope this helps.
  • MindyC7609
    MindyC7609 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Go to a local running store (NOT ****'s or some big box store like that!) and have them fit you PROPERLY for the right pair of shoes for your level of activity, weight and gait. You DON'T have to buy their shoes -- find out exactly what you need, then go online and buy them cheaper. SierraTradingPost.com has lots of closeouts in odd sizes, so you might have some success there.

The bottom line is that you need to be fitted properly and haven't been, that's why your current shoes are giving you so much trouble. I try to buy all my workout gear on clearance or sale, but I never, EVER cut corners on my shoes. Poor quality or badly fitted shoes can also lead to injuries. Take care of those feet!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Now to find a running store in my city...off to google I go!
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    A running store can really help with this and you'll probably pay $100 for a pair. Or you can take the info and go eleswhere (but i would encourage you to at least buy your first pair from them). It was worth every penny to get a better pair of shoes.

I have a wide foot (and big, it's annoying!). The best brand for women's tennis shoes in wide widths hands down is New Balance. Asics is a good second. Beyond that, I've tried them all and no dice.

And don't forget your socks. Dirty socks, wrong sized socks, cotton socks without moisture wicking can be part of the blister/rubbing problem.