Calorie goal unrealistic?!

Options
Heyyy, i've used MFP for a while now but never stuck to it. Mainly because whenever I put in my calorie goal it comes up with 1200 per day. Does anyone have the same calorie goal and do they find it sustainable? All of the others accounts I had in the past I stopped using, because it was a case of I would go over my calories by 100 or so and feel disheartened. Seemed like the only way I could have 3 meals and stay under was through egg whites for breakfast and salad for lunch and dinner.

Thanks in advance for any tips :)

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Please provide the following info:
    height
    weight
    how much you want to lose
    activity level
    the amount of weight per week you want to lose

Typically MFP gives you 1200cals if you pick 2lbs/week.
    I started at 172lbs and 5'7", told MFP I wanted to lose 2lbs/week so it gave me 1200.
    With only 30 pounds to lose, I should have picked 0.5-1lb/week.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Are you tiny?
    Are you setting a fast rate of weight loss such as 2lbs a week?
    How many calories would MFP give you if you set your goal to maintain?

PS - Also remember you can earn more calories by exercising.
  • rcloyd5
    rcloyd5 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes, my calorie goal is 1200 as well. You get to more eat more calories if you are exercising. Be sure to use those. I don't bother with the 100 calorie packs of snacks as they are not filling. Choose healthy filling foods. Most vegetables have hardly any calories. Add them to every meal. Stick with it and don't get discouraged!
  • ma2dagirlz
    Options
    Heyyy, i've used MFP for a while now but never stuck to it. Mainly because whenever I put in my calorie goal it comes up with 1200 per day. Does anyone have the same calorie goal and do they find it sustainable? All of the others accounts I had in the past I stopped using, because it was a case of I would go over my calories by 100 or so and feel disheartened. Seemed like the only way I could have 3 meals and stay under was through egg whites for breakfast and salad for lunch and dinner.

Thanks in advance for any tips :)

Hey I have found that it depends on what you are eating (where the calories are coming from) and how much you are exercising..... but a good rule of thumb is to multiply your weight by 7 and that's how many calories you should have for weight loss....... However, sometimes you should have more than that depending on what your individual goals are and how active you are!
  • Laura100AC
    Laura100AC Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 foot 6 and weigh 164lbs. Ideally I want to lose around 40lbs, I exercise twice a week and would like to lose 2 pounds or more at the start of my weight loss.

Do you think that with 40lbs to lose a pound a week would work better?

Tired of giving up on this :noway:
  • Laura100AC
    Options
    Yes, my calorie goal is 1200 as well. You get to more eat more calories if you are exercising. Be sure to use those. I don't bother with the 100 calorie packs of snacks as they are not filling. Choose healthy filling foods. Most vegetables have hardly any calories. Add them to every meal. Stick with it and don't get discouraged!

I think the 'healthy snacks' might be where i'm going wrong. Tend to feel like i've wasted calories on things like cereal bars and yoghurts :ohwell:
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 foot 6 and weigh 164lbs. Ideally I want to lose around 40lbs, I exercise twice a week and would like to lose 2 pounds or more at the start of my weight loss.

Yes, set it to lose 1lb per week.
  • ErisDyscordia
    ErisDyscordia Posts: 50 Member
    Options

It might work better for you, since you are having trouble on the low calories you need to sustain losing 2 a week. Nothing wrong with adding some calories back in, as long as you are still eating at a deficit, if it will be easier for you to keep up with it.

Are you eating "good" calories for your calories? I have found that if I am eating lots of simple carbs (pasta, rice, sugar, etc), I am STARVING on 1200 calories. But if I eat lots of protein, healthy fatty acids, and make sure my carbs all come from vegetables and other complex carb sources that I am VERY full on 1200 a day. Vegetables are high in fiber, complex carbs, and low in calories. It is hard for me to eat 1200 calories and not feel full if it includes lots of fiber and complex carbs and plenty of lean proteins (soy, fish, etc).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A slow but sustainable weight loss is one hell of a lot faster than giving up because you set your calorie goal to a miserable level.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1200 also but it is very hard to eat just that. I try to exercise every day to earn extra calories to allow me to eat 1500 per day. Even a half an hour brisk walk makes a difference if you can't get to the gym etc.
  • Laura100AC
    Options
    :laugh:

It might work better for you, since you are having trouble on the low calories you need to sustain losing 2 a week. Nothing wrong with adding some calories back in, as long as you are still eating at a deficit, if it will be easier for you to keep up with it.

Are you eating "good" calories for your calories? I have found that if I am eating lots of simple carbs (pasta, rice, sugar, etc), I am STARVING on 1200 calories. But if I eat lots of protein, healthy fatty acids, and make sure my carbs all come from vegetables and other complex carb sources that I am VERY full on 1200 a day. Vegetables are high in fiber, complex carbs, and low in calories. It is hard for me to eat 1200 calories and not feel full if it includes lots of fiber and complex carbs and plenty of lean proteins (soy, fish, etc).

Thanks for the advice :bigsmile: The only time I mainly eat carbs is for breakfast and i'm starving by midday. Do you have any suggestions for a quick filling breakfast? I start work at 7am most days so I don't really have time to cook much :grumble:
  • Laura100AC
    Options
    A slow but sustainable weight loss is one hell of a lot faster than giving up because you set your calorie goal to a miserable level.

Incredibly true :drinker:
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice :bigsmile: The only time I mainly eat carbs is for breakfast and i'm starving by midday. Do you have any suggestions for a quick filling breakfast? I start work at 7am most days so I don't really have time to cook much :grumble:

If you have access to hot water try: 1 TBS Almond Butter (1/2 serving), 1/2c Dry Quaker Oats (not instant), and a tbs of honey and cinnamon to taste.

If you like PB you can use that.

I have a microwave at work too so i'll put the ingredients in my bowl, cover in hot water, cover with a paper towel and nuke for 30s. If not, let it sit covered with a plate for a few minutes to soften to your favorite texture.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You'll have days where you go over your calorie goal, and still lose weight. If your setting is to lose 2 pounds a week cut it back to 1 pound a week, and sometimes 1/2 or 1/4 pound a week loss is still a loss.

You can view my diary--I am 1250 calories, and it's taken quite a while for me to take off 10 pounds, but hey it works, I only have 3.5 pounds to go.

You have to stick with it, don't get discouraged and quit. People who quit, end up going back to old bad habits and gain even more weight.
  • The_Hungry_Atheist
    Options
    You don't have to have "breakfast" for your morning meal. If you absol feel you need to categorize your foods to a certain time of day then hard boiled eggs are your friend. As well as yogurt, the full fat greek kind.......bacon takes 2 mins in micro to make you can do that while you peel your eggs. Fruit......peanut butter. I do not eat bread so if you do toast.

EDIT: Bagel with cream cheese...bacon egg cheese bagel...all these take 5 mins to make if you have a micro and toaster.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Definitely set to 1lb/week, readjust as when you've lost half.

Eggs are quick.
    Hard boil them and eat them on the go.

2% yogurt or cottage cheese
    A protein shake or a smoothie with protein powder in it (like PB, chocolate protein powder, banana, ice, milk or coffee, ice, milk, chocolate protein powder, greek yogurt)

A combination of fat and protein will keep you fuller longer which is why I've suggested the foods above.
    Fat won't make you fat and typically (not all always), a low fat/no fat variation of a food (yogurt, greek yogurt, PB), the fat is replaced with sugar to keep the flavor the same. And you won't always be as full as long on a 0% yogurt as you would a 2%.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Everyone is scared to death to eat Peanut Butter, but it is a real hunger killer during the day. I use all natural Skippy smooth peanut butter with honey. If I get hungry a tablespoon of it, is the cure to keep me going. It's got to be all natural peanut butter.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. Find the lowest calorie goal you can stick to and still be at a deficit. Better to lose slowly and find something you can live with than to give up.

My calorie goal is 1440 and I'm often under that by 200 calories or more (with little to no exercise). Before I started measuring I would have said that I'm always hungry and I was probably eating 2500 calories or more on a typical day, because I was eating the wrong stuff and didn't even know it.

Focus on healthy foods you love - salad, stirfry, green veggies, low-sugar fruit (berries, melon), fish, turkey, etc. Make those the bulk of your meals every day, and you should still have room for a small amount of "treats". From my experience, though, carbs you hungrier, so the more you give up starchy food and sugar, the easier it may be to stick to your goals. Weird but true.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Yeah...1 Lb per week. I had 40 to lose and that's what I did. Just think....in about 9 months or so, provided you are consistent, you will be about 40 lbs down. Dietary adherence is a wonderful thing...what good is a 2 Lb per week loss rate goal if you give up and can't stick with it?

Also realize that you're supposed to eat back exercise calories with MFP (adjusted for estimation error) as that activity isn' (shouldn't be) included in your activity level. Do some exercise along with a more reasonable loss rate goal and win.
  • Laura100AC
    Options
    :bigsmile: Thank you for all of the advice!

I've now changed my goal to a pound a week and it's giving me 1390 calories a day which I know I never go over anyway :glasses:

Definitely need to up my meals and cut out the pointless snacks though :frown: