Can I do p90x??

Options
I keep hearing about this P90X thing, and I've looked through the forum archives a bit to see some information on it.

I read somewhere that you have to be in decent shape to start it... Can I get clarification?
I'm pretty overweight, but can do some intense cardio on an elliptical, for example.

Also, is there anywhere to get it for less than $100?

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about this P90X thing, and I've looked through the forum archives a bit to see some information on it.

I read somewhere that you have to be in decent shape to start it... Can I get clarification?
    I'm pretty overweight, but can do some intense cardio on an elliptical, for example.

Also, is there anywhere to get it for less than $100?

Speaking as a 46 year old broad-- yes, you can do it. There is a line Tony Horton repeats over and over-- do your best, forget the rest. You can modify anything that you can't manage.

I bought my copy from a family member-- she paid $150, and because I love my sister-in-law, I paid her $100 for it, used. I'm battling Hashimoto's Disease, which has caused a 30 lb weight gain in the past 9 months or so-- but, I already had been training for a half marathon, had good muscle tone and was "fit" before it.

having said that-- I'm now working through the program as a 200 pound woman. Not fun. But, definitely do-able.

I didn't like the yoga DVD-- as another poster commented in a "Don't do P90x" thread he started, it is 90 minutes long and insanely boring. I did 30 minutes of it and quit-- snooooooooooze.

But, I'm enjoying the other DVDs. The Ab ripper is tough, and I have trouble keeping up. But, I do what I can. And I get stronger each time.

As for where to buy-- eBay, I'm guessing, is the place to look.

Good luck-- you CAN do this.
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    if your willing to work hard you can do it!, its no stroll in the park. i cant stick to the 6 days a week, but i will do 1 or 2 a week along with running.
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    It's hard work, but I think that it's easy to modify or work up to if you're not used to the workouts. I'm in my third week of p90x lean and I love it, and feel a difference in how toned I look and how strong I am. I'm also gaining flexibility and my posture has been better.

Is it wrong to say that I ripped the DVDs from a friend, lol? I also know people who have leant them out or gotten them off of ebay or craigslist for mad cheap. If you ask around, you'll easily be able to get it for only 100 bucks.

Oh, and about the yoga....give it a chance! It's a little boring, and it's always hard to get through a 90-minute workout, but you will feel the difference when you get through even an hour. I initially skipped it, but in the past couple of weeks I've tried to get as far as I can and I feel leaner, longer, more flexible and my old dancer injuries act up a lot less during the other workouts.
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

As for where to buy-- eBay, I'm guessing, is the place to look.

Good luck-- you CAN do this.

Yes you can get on ebay but you have to be careful. Don't get anything from Hong Kong/China....they tend to be copies (so I've heard). Also make sure you look into the sellers history.....if there are people saying they got copies and not original copies, don't buy from them either. You CAN get a good deal on Beachbody products on eBay but you just have to be careful. I got BOTH my Insanity and Turbo Fire workouts from eBay under $100 and they were in original sealed packaging. Good Luck, I've heard P90X is tough but it gets results......and I loved Tony's line "Do your best, and forget the rest" so much I put it on my FB profile! :happy:
  • KSML1
    KSML1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How long is each DVD or session?
  • Marla64
    Options
    It's hard work, but I think that it's easy to modify or work up to if you're not used to the workouts. I'm in my third week of p90x lean and I love it, and feel a difference in how toned I look and how strong I am. I'm also gaining flexibility and my posture has been better.

Is it wrong to say that I ripped the DVDs from a friend, lol? I also know people who have leant them out or gotten them off of ebay or craigslist for mad cheap. If you ask around, you'll easily be able to get it for only 100 bucks.

Oh, and about the yoga....give it a chance! It's a little boring, and it's always hard to get through a 90-minute workout, but you will feel the difference when you get through even an hour. I initially skipped it, but in the past couple of weeks I've tried to get as far as I can and I feel leaner, longer, more flexible and my old dancer injuries act up a lot less during the other workouts.

I decided to insert Winsor Pilates in place of the Yoga. Truly....that's how much I hated it.

I'm working through the lean, too-- but I'm only managing about 4 days a week at this point-- holidays, snow days, weekends-- nuts with a large family.

A friend of mine gave me a copy of her Insanity and I did that for two weeks over the summer-- someone said on another thread that she would basically dread the program. I found myself doing that, too-- I love pushing myself, for sure. But, that was, well, insane. I like P90x much better.

Now, if these thyroid issues would get under control, maybe I'd see some fruits of my labor. Hard pushing myself when I see no results. But, I know there's still great muscle tone under there. I'm working through the program very well. I do pull-downs on the lat bar on my universal in place of pull-ups. I won't say "never" but it's doubtful this ol' bod will ever do a pull-up-- but, who knows. For now, I'm getting a very good workout my way--

And lastly, eBay-- agreed-- watch your seller. I've bought used exercise DVDs before to get a good price, and always had good luck on there-- so, maybe that route would work, too.

Glad to see so many dedicated people-- you're all an inspiration.
  • Marla64
    Options

From what I've seen in the ones I've done, 40 minutes to as long as 90 minutes for the Yoga. The Ab ripper DVD is only 16 minutes long, but that is often included on the back of another routine which is already 40-45 minutes long, so you're still looking at an hour workout.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

Most days are 55 minutes, that includes the warm-up & cool down. The Yoga day is about 90 minutes. Keep in mind, there's also an Ab ripper session that is intended to supplement these workouts 3 days a week. It is about 15 minutes long.

***Oops, didn't realize I was repeating the above poster. :laugh:
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. My husband and I are both about 20-25 lbs overweight. We want to lose the fat but also want something to really tone and shape, so we have been looking at the P90X. For him I think it will be great. He's in excellent physical shape. I haven't worked out on a regular basis in a few months. So I am a bit concerned about the intensity. However with him for support and of course a little competition, I think I can push my way through it.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. My husband and I are both about 20-25 lbs overweight. We want to lose the fat but also want something to really tone and shape, so we have been looking at the P90X. For him I think it will be great. He's in excellent physical shape. I haven't worked out on a regular basis in a few months. So I am a bit concerned about the intensity. However with him for support and of course a little competition, I think I can push my way through it.

Either Power 90 or P90X would be good if you're not a beginner. It's a great workout to do with a spouse. I know a few people on here that do the program with their spouse, including myself.
  • KSML1
    KSML1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Has anyone looked at The Firm Express videos? (www.thefirmdirect.com) I am curious about the Thin in Thirty Series. Wonder how it compares to P90X?
  • brboydjr
    brboydjr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 8th cycle of P90X so I've been doing it for almost 2 years now. You can do it. You can modify each exercise based on your level of fitness. Do what you can and stop when you need to take a breather. Before you know it you'll be doing it non stop and wondering what's taking the people in the video so long.