Elliptical Machine Suggestions?

Options
Okay,
So I am the wife of a US Marine and we live in military housing. I have access to gyms, but with a toddler running around the house, I do not have much TIME to go to them.

I would LOVE to own an elliptical machine, but I am worried that I do not have the space for one. I have seen the little foot-pedal versions of the elliptical machines, but I can't imagine that you burn as many calories that way.

I was just curious if anyone out there owns one of these machines.
Is it worth it?
Do you burn many calories?

Or is it simply better to suck it up, buy a big one, and find a corner to cram it into?

Thanks!

Replies

• skiniminimew
    skiniminimew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals are my favorite machine...at the gym...if i could afford it i'd buy one for my house...but then again theres not much room for one in my little 1 bedroom condo...but i say go for it...i really wish i had one at home!
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have a ellipitcal and i love it !!!, mines in my basement ,but i can put it up aganist the wall in the corner(i bought it at walmarts) and i have kids also, they just hangout w me will im exercising. Good luck, i think its a great investment
  • tinlady
    tinlady Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi I have a eliptical machine and I measured it for you. Mind you it is not one of the big ones but I only paid $150 for it.
    It is 4feet deep and 2feet wide I didn't think the height was a factor. I have to pull it out from the wall a couple of feet to use.
    I burn 30 calories for every 5min on the lowest setting that is just alittle less than walking on a treadmill. I think they are great
    and I work up a sweat in the first 5min. Good luck on your journey and I hope this helps.

Karen
  • mmmary201
    Options
    I'd love an elliptical in my home. But I've tried out the ones at Walmart for around $300-$400 and they seem so cheaply made and the range of motion is really short. I can't justify that much money for something not to the standard I want. I'd love to have a model like the ones in the gym. So I use the ones in the gym as a treat and do whatever else I can at home. Is there any sort of childcare anywhere you can use? My apt complex has a play room for kids in their workout room and the YMCA I go to has a free childcare.