Recipes

Options
Evanstl
Evanstl Posts: 44 Member
I'm looking for some good healthy meals and quick lunch ideas for a family with little kids.

Replies

• thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Does your family like fish? I am trying broiled cod tonight for dinner... just sprinkle with your favorite seasoning (even salt works) and some lemon juice and broil til white and flakey! If your kids like fish sticks, try using a light breading on it for them.

Also, if you like Mexican, someone in another thread posted this and I copied it. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds awesome!

Simple Enchiladas (chicken or beef)
    - corn tortillas
    - onion
    - chicken or ground beef
    - cheese (monterey jack, pepper jack, cheddar, whatever suits)
    - can of enchilada sauce or green chili sauce
    - optional: green chilis, jalapenos, tomatoes, sour cream
    - vegetable oil

Brown your beef and drain it or cook your chicken how you like and shred it (on the grill, boiled, broiled, baked, however you wish). Throw the onion in a little oil and sautee until clear. Some people fry their tortillas in oil, but since this is a health forum, I really recommend throwing them in the microwave on a plate under a wet paper towel to warm them and get them soft.

In a baking dish, stuff your tortillas with the onion, chicken or beef, chilis, jalapenos, and cheese. Do this until you run out of filling. Then cover the enchiladas in sauce and sprinkle cheese on top. Throw it in the oven at 350 degrees until the cheese is melted. Top with your lettuce, fresh tomatoes, sour cream, olives, and whatever you like.
  • Evanstl
    Evanstl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    we eat absolutely NO fish and very little mexican which only consists of occasional tacos. We eat a LOT of chicken and pork. thats pretty much what our meals revolve around. not a very broad horizon I'm afraid. I don't like spicy food and none of us like fish except my husband so therefore we dont eat it. Thats why I am looking for new receipes especially with the litte ones. I will have to try the enchilladas.
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that does kind of narrow it down a bit. Lol.

this is a side dish that is a much healthier alternative than fries and kids will like them too...
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/oven_fries.html

How about making Chili with ground turkey?

Or, have you seen the marinades at the grocery store for meats? Try a few different ones of those. I haven't had a bad one yet. The brand we use begins with an M... can't think of what the name is right now....

Also, I use this website A LOT... it has everything broken down into meals, side dishes, etc. and then by meat... so that would be useful
    http://www.lowfatlifestyle.com/entrees/entreeindex.htm
  • MadisonLeavens
    MadisonLeavens Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Italian Stir Fry

Fresh Tomatoes
    Bell Peppers (all colors)
    Basil
    Onion
    Garlic
    Zucchini
    Yellow Squash
    (play around with the veggies, get creative)
    Protein source (you can use soy products, ground beef, pork, chicken, whatever you like)

Cut the veggies into bite sized pieces. I blanch and skin the tomatoes (personal preferance) Saute the veggies (execpt tomatoes) with some cooking spray or veggie broth until the onions are opaque and the veggies are to your liking. Add your protein source (if you want or it can be completely vegan). Then add the tomatoes. Salt and pepper to taste or even some oregano or italian seasoning.

You can serve this over noodles or you can try the tofu shirataki noodles to keep the carb count low. My family loves it.