Options
126siany
126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
Any favorites?

Replies

• cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you're using a smartphone, I like Endomondo. It tracks your running, provides stats and hasd 5K training plans at different levels. You can input the date of your race and it will create a training plan based on that date.
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Any favorites?

I used C25K free (with the pink ribbon on the icon) and it did it's job. 8 weeks of no problems. Not the greatest app, but I wanted to test the waters without spending money.

Now that I'm "into" it, I'm in the market for a paid app to continue my training.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I like the Zombies, Run! version. It keeps my interest more than the others, and has more reasonable incremental increases.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Endomondo or Runkeeper, with a podcast. The benefit of tracking using those is that when you move on from C25K you have your running history available to you.

If you use an app, when you move on you've lost that early history, so tracing your progress over time becomes less representative of your progress.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Endomondo or Runkeeper, with a podcast. The benefit of tracking using those is that when you move on from C25K you have your running history available to you.

If you use an app, when you move on you've lost that early history, so tracing your progress over time becomes less representative of your progress.

With Endomondo you dont also need a podcast as it has 5K training plans build in with audio coach. An advantage of the endomondo training plan is it adapts to your fitness. If you are outrunning the plan, it increases the difficulty. If you are not keeping up, it adjusts the plan to be a bit easier; adjusting every monday. The podcasts are static.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    With Endomondo you dont also need a podcast as it has 5K training plans build in with audio coach. An advantage of the endomondo training plan is it adapts to your fitness. If you are outrunning the plan, it increases the difficulty. If you are not keeping up, it adjusts the plan to be a bit easier; adjusting every monday. The podcasts are static.

But you need the premium account to get access to the training plans...

I'm using it for my half marathon training at the moment and it works pretty well for me tbh

The podcast option doesn't cost anything, so gives the opportunity to try them out before committing to the spend.

Actually the Runkeeper plans are free, no idea what the usability is like though.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Bump.

C25K Free says it links to MFP, but never does, so I'm looking around as well.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer to download the podcasts from the NHS website in the UK
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I like Runkeeper. I think it's free, but I'd pay for it because it's good.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm using C25K Free by Zen Labs. It's an 8 week plan to get you up to running a 5K at whatever speed. It's based on timed running and walking intervals, gradually building you up to the full distance. It synchs with MFP, but I don' t use that feature because I'm synching another app to MFP.

It does not track distance or speed, which is why I run MapMyRide (same as MapMyRun or MapMyFitness) at the same time. If you like Edomondo better, you could do the same thing with that app. Either of them will give you a map of where you ran, split times, speed and distance. It'll also serve as a permanent record.

I just started week 4 of C25K and learned something important that I believe is true of any of the apps: do NOT accidentally put the program on pause after you start your running interval. I wound up running the longest 3 minutes of my life. At first I thought it was all in my head, but it wasn't. It was 15 or 20 minutes of running when I was expecting 3.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I used Run Double in combination with Run Keeper and Pandora for some tunes!
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    to start with i got on really well the the NHS podcasts but once i got to the longer runs i used the Run Double app and found it great, it gives you regular updates on how your doing and interfaces with MFP, plus you can do time or distance programs which i like

you can trial it for the first 2 weeks then i think its a 99p purchase to unlock the full thing

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rundouble.companion&hl=en_GB