Super simple diet trick THAT ISN'T SPAM!

Options
So, I was reading Greatist.com and came across this article:

http://greatist.com/health/cut-calories-switching-smaller-plates

It's basically about using smaller plates to cut portion sizes while still feeling satisfied. I had read an actual study recently which drew the same conclusions. And here's a video on "portion distortion" which demonstrates the theory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfdvjlm1V7k

So, I started eating my meals on salad plates, and it does seem to work, even when I'm aware of the illusion. My hot ham and cheese pita and sweet potato fries seemed enormous on the salad plate, after seeming disappointingly small on the baking sheet, and I'm actually having trouble finishing it.

I have small rice bowls from China which I've started using for ice cream, and an actual serving does not seem to swim in a giant vacant sea of loneliness. Now I'm considering buying a new set of dishes with this in mind (I've needed a new set for a long time, as I have a hodgepodge of 3 different sets.)

Have you guys tried this? Does it seem to work for you?

Replies

• CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I totally agred with this. I use a small plate too. My food doesn't look so lonely on my plate.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    My Chinese rice bowls are in the dishwasher, so I used a very fancy porcelain tea cup for my ice cream.

Even better. Plus it felt all special.

I'm definitely buying new, smaller dishes.
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for a number of years. It does work. When I use larger plates, I find I fill them on 'auto pilot', not because I'm hungry for all that I've put on there. By using the smaller plate, I eat a smaller portion automatically (even though I've also weighed and measured it. ha) and if I'm truly still hungry, I can have seconds as needed. Rarely do I ever need the 'seconds'.
  • AshleyLeelette
    AshleyLeelette Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time! I was always that girl that needed to fill my plate! That was my portion.... So the smaller plates makes portion control seem non-existent for the most part!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I'm trying to find the study I read. It was actually about how across all cultures, age groups and genders, we have a tendency to finish the food on our plates, even if we're already full. It was less about the small plate thing than it was about cleaning your plate, whatever the size...but obviously that ties in.

I used to work for Replacements Ltd. (the larges redistributer of discontinued china, silver, crystal, etc.) and I have a small collection of interesting dishes from those days. I think I'll start collecting again with this in mind.

Eating ice cream from a fancy porcelain cup was quite a pleasure!
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    We switched from bigger square plates to smaller round plates and smaller bowls. It really has made a difference for my husband and for me.
  • sweetmelissa222
    sweetmelissa222 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend laughed the first time he saw me do this, but it really does work. I use mugs when I eat cereal, which keeps it closer to one serving than a bowl ever could and a salad plate makes me feel like my dinner is a heaping serving instead of a cup of whatever it is I'm eating.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I found that the fancy 6 oz. teacups make a 1/2 cup serving of ice cream look huge. Definitely doing that again!

I also tried this in reverse. I have a very nice stoneware bowl that I specifically use for salads. It's the size of a small serving bowl, so it's quite large for salads. I definitely should never put ice cream in it.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I have small rice bowls from China which I've started using for ice cream, and an actual serving does not seem to swim in a giant vacant sea of loneliness. Now I'm considering buying a new set of dishes with this in mind (I've needed a new set for a long time, as I have a hodgepodge of 3 different sets.)

This had me laughing. SO true. This is why I use either a condiment bowl or a cappuccino cup for my ice cream servings. Otherwise it's a little anti-climatic.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Stowing the 13" plates that most people use today is a great step. Using 9" plates for meals is something I've done for years now and attribute it to helping keep my weight and "hunger" in check.
    Common logic will tell you smaller portions means less calories. But some people can't "leave" food on a full plate so they continue to "clean it off". So it would make sense to use smaller plates if this is how they think.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Careful... you could spark a new diet trend, similar to the "five bite diet" where you can eat whatever you want as long as it fits on a little plate. Pass the french fries and gelato!
  • mlrs29
    mlrs29 Posts: 1
    Options
    im 47 years of age and started menopause a little early and I find it very hard to lose weight.. any suggestions? I work out 5-6 days a week. im very frustrated as I never had this problem before.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    this was on the local news about a month ago actually, they took 2 random groups of people and let them eat at a buffet. one group used smaller plates, and the items on the buffet were put in order of healthiest to least healthy, and the line started at the healthy end. the second group had larger plates and the line started at the unhealthy end. the first group ate like 600 less calories on average for the meal than the second group
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    It does work. We have this cheap little plastic ramekins that we've adopted for eating everything out of. Everything seems bigger out of them!
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one using rice bowls for ice cream :drinker:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I went out and bought 8 half cup bowls just for ice cream. Having a single serving in a cereal bowl is disappointing. I also eat it with a tiny dessert spoon.
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    On a similar note, there's a suggestion I've read somewhere (not sure if trialled scientifically or not) that getting dark-coloured plates influences the food you put on them -- classically we use light plates so pasta, potatoes, etc. tend to be less visible so we load more of them on out plates, whereas with dark plates they stand out more so we put less, and vegetables 'blend in' better so we put more.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I use a smaller plate sometimes, but even with a larger plate I've learned to let the white space show. When I was eating ice cream I used to eat it out of a coffe mug with a dessert spoon (tiny with long handle). That helped as well. Haven't had ice cream in months though.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I've tried and I don't think it makes a difference for me. We have really big square plates so I'm used to seeing a lot of white space on them and I generally have a large salad with dinner so it doesn't fit on little plates with the rest of my food.