Meal ideas when limited to dorm size refrigerator?

Options
For the next 3 months my husband and I are stuck in an apartment that only has a dorm size refrigerator. There is no oven, and only two electric burners. (we have pots and pans) We are doing our best to prepare our own meals while still being healthy and having our grocery list be budget friendly. I was wondering if anyone has ever been in this type of situation and what types of meals you could recommend for meals at home as well as portable meals to bring to work. We don't really even have room for storing any leftovers so portions for just two adults are preferred. We don't mind several trips to the grocery store each week if the meal preps are worth it.

Any ideas are appreciated :) ... breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

And with the limited square footage, a second dorm size fridge isn't an option unfortunately. Thanks in advance everyone!

Replies

• melissacano3
    melissacano3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    My new favorite under 300 calorie lunch is a light English muffin halves, toasted, with avocado, tomato, and a sliced hardboiled egg. The only fridge room needed is for the fruit and eggs, only a toaster needed for the muffin. Sometimes I add hummus or light mayo, and pepper. You could also add light tuna. :)

Sometimes I like to do "breakfast for dinner" also, and you could make an egg white & veggie omelette or scramble using your burners.

Also, if you wash and pre-chop your veggies or salad items and store them in zip lock bags, you may use less fridge space.

Good luck!
    Melissa
  • tbpmt
    tbpmt Posts: 4
    Options
    Tortilla wraps - tortilla with deli meat, cheese, veggies, etc.
    Oatmeal
    Quinoa or pasta salad
    Canned chicken or tuna w/low-fat mayo
    Low-sodium canned soups and stews
    Stir fry
    Beans and rice
    Black bean soup, chili and/or burritos
    Grilled cheese
  • marcellomoo
    marcellomoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had this set up living in an overpriced studio flat with my boyfriend for a year and it was hell. Good luck!

Do you have a microwave? Our hobs were too close together to actually use both, so I used to steam vegetables in the microwave in a bowl with some water and a plate on top.

Stir fry
    Burrito bowl -more salad, less rice
    Soup
    Fryable meat with a plate full of veggies
    Omelette
    Peri peri chicken, salad, coleslaw and cheese pittas
    Tuna salad pittas
    Hot dogs
    Crackers with cheese/ ham/ cucumber etc.
    Chicken, bacon, noodles, cheese and pesto
    Spaghetti and meatballs
    Porridge
    Risotto
    Couscous - cook in a covered bowl with boiling water, mix with cooked meat/ veggies and season
    Not really a meal, but I love cooked veggies with caramelised onion houmous