Extra protein?

Options
What does extra protein do to you when you are trying to lose weight? Is it okay to go over, or will it hinder your weight loss?

Replies

• lordofultima
    Options
    Extra Protein isn't a big deal, especially since people don't get enough protein. Your muscles use it to rebuild overnight, so having an excess can't be all that bad. Excess carbs and fat are what you need to watch out for.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It's good! Especially if you are exercising you need the protein to build muscle. Just stick with lean cuts of beef, whtie meat poultry, eggs (limit yolks but lots of whites are good), legumes, low-fat Greek yogurt etc.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can eat more protein. MFP is rather low in the protein allotment, 15%. A balance diet can consist of protein intake as high as 30%. So you can eat up to double the amount of protein and be fine. Many MFP users go into their profile and change the % allotted to protein and reduce fat and/or carbs.
  • KhollerSA05
    KhollerSA05 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Part of why high protien diets are big is that your body can only process so much protien before it passes it out of the body. So unlike carbs that can be converted to sugar and eventually to fat , protien is either used or discarded so it's not stored. This can lead to feeling more satisfied rather than always feeling hungry. It is ok to go over, but be sure that you are drinking plenty of water if you are taking in large amounts of protien, that much protien can be hard on your kidneys so the extra water helps.
  • autumntia
    autumntia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Part of why high protien diets are big is that your body can only process so much protien before it passes it out of the body. So unlike carbs that can be converted to sugar and eventually to fat , protien is either used or discarded so it's not stored. This can lead to feeling more satisfied rather than always feeling hungry. It is ok to go over, but be sure that you are drinking plenty of water if you are taking in large amounts of protien, that much protien can be hard on your kidneys so the extra water helps.

This is what I was going to say :bigsmile:
  • Magwoman0220
    Magwoman0220 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I never come come close to my daily allotment of fat and usually come close but don't go over on my carbs for the day, but I usually go over on protein and fiber, which as long as they are healthy foods, I am good. I just wanted a second opinion.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice above, however, make sure it is healthy protein and not bacon or 75% beef, etc. Low fat versions always.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I take in about 150 gm of protein per day...but then I am strength training. By some reports I may even be too low. What's nice about whey protein is that it can curb those cravings, especially those strong ones.
  • lango6
    lango6 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't skimp on high-quality fats either. Like proteins, they have a beneficial effect, especially when dieting. Fats help moderate insulin response to carbs, plus the omega-3s are essential to metabolic function and cannot be manufactured by the body. You should consider modifying your default macronutrient percentages (if you change one, the others adjust) so that carbs are no more than 40%. You may be under your current carb limit, but that may be more than you want ideally and considering you topic question, you are likely close anyway.

Protein consumption should be 0.5 g/lb of lean mass (total weight - (total weight x % body fat)) and increased in increments of 0.1g/lb based on activity level (sedentary, light, mod, mod-heavy, heavy, elite athlete). As an example, for someone weighing 200 with 25% body fat, he would consume a minimum of (200 - 50) * 0.5 or 75g of protein and adjust up for activity level. Activity level drives the need for protein to rebuild muscle. Also, there is a desirable animal protein hierarchy that starts with fatty fish (like salmon) and goes through chicken breast, turkey breast, pork loin, and bottoms out with fatty red meats and nitrite-heavy things like bacon.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I had the same question when I first started on here. As others have said, it is not harmful but you do need to watch where the protein comes from. I went into goals and changed my ratio to 45% carbs/25% protein/30% fat. I don't always meet the protein goal but it helps (today is a huge exception, I am over on the 25%!)

Good sources of protein: chicken, turkey, yogurt, nuts/nut butters, low fat dairy, beans
  • KOlmert
    KOlmert Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had the same question! But you guys answered it! Im just about a week into MFP and love how easy it is to find information!! Thanks again everyone!! :tongue: