Is One Pound Really Enough???

Options

Replies

• PrissyPisces
    PrissyPisces Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well if your body follows the math, than if you have an actually deficit of 500 cal per day, you would lose a lb of fat a week. Weight would fluctuate though. Honestly, with 100 lbs to lose, you may get impatient with 1 lb a week, although 2 lbs per week might not give you enough food. Essentially, you need to find a happy medium that allows you to fill full and still keep you motivated. Maybe I would suggest 1.5 lbs per week as a goal and set exercise goals or inches/picture goals too. Honestly, i find most women at losing at 1700-2100 calories daily.

If you want to open your food diary, we can make some suggestions. It's possible you aren't eating the right types of food to get enough nutrients and causing you to be tired and hungry. For example, is your diet high in carbs and low in fat/protein?

I believe that MAY be the issue. I now follow a vegetarian diet, and am a serious carb lover.

do you follow a vegetarian lifestyle because of ethical reasons of the believe it's healthier? Either way, upping fats and protein will solve the issue of hunger and so does fiber. I prefer all three at once.

I follow this type of diet because the thought of eating meat has always felt yucky to me. I've unknowingly been a flexitarian my entire life. I hate knowing that I'm eating an actual animal. I was a pescetarian, but even THAT bothered me, so it's veggies only for me. However, I am not vegan. I still eat diary. I want to give up eggs one day as well. Maybe milk, too.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. If you're not losing on -500 then lower more and make sure you're actually tracking and weighing everything you're eating / drinking properly. Don't 'eat back' your exercise like people seem to like to do around here either. Once you get that settled, make sure you are doing an actual strength training program at least 3x per week. Then start adding additional cardio a few times per week.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've been managing to drop a kilo a week with surprisingly low hunger pangs, if it gets to the point where I feel I need to eat more I would go down to losing half a kilo a week.

If you're hungry all the time maybe sticking to 1lb a week loss is the best long term solution as you're more likely to stick with it.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's me. Trying to lose all of this weight by next summer, so I can be "happy". Smh

You have to ask yourself a simple question. Did you gain all of that weight between two summers? If the answer is no then give your body and mind the time needed to adjust to losing weight. In addition to losing weight, you will need to develop lifelong habits and it takes time to develop healthy habits because you do not want to gain the weight back once you hit your goal weight.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm set to lose one pound a week right now with almost no actual exercise. Actually, if you check my diary, I have my calorie goal on MFP set to maintenance (assuming a lightly active modifier) and I try to stay 500 calories below that. I got too stressed out about the red/green numbers so I decided to set it up so that any day below maintenance is a win. Especially on nights out with friends/family.

I'm also weighing myself only once a month, but I lose about 5 pounds a month, though this last month was only 4 pounds. I've been setup this way for about 2 1/2 months now and I find it's something that I can stick to without stressing out about food and deficits and water weight. I'm losing weight at a steady pace. I've dropped a jeans size. And I still manage to incorporate time out with friends or treats and ice cream into my daily calories.

I lost a big chunk of weight a couple of years ago and I'm back now to take off some of the weight I gained back over time. In my previous attempt I found that I got pretty obsessed and upset with my weight. Every little setback bothered me. My diet really consumed my life and I didn't want to fall into that again this time. So I'm working on finding a more sustainable way for me. It seems to be working.

Play around and find what works best for you. A calorie deficit is what you need for the actual weight loss, but small changes can affect the way you approach it and can really help with the mental aspect of weight loss. The mental part is very much about personal preference and what works best for you.
  • PrissyPisces
    Options
    I do have issues with getting enough protein. Definitely. Is protein powder something I should add to my diet? Never tried it.
  • PrissyPisces
    Options
    Yep, that's me. Trying to lose all of this weight by next summer, so I can be "happy". Smh

You have to ask yourself a simple question. Did you gain all of that weight between two summers? If the answer is no then give your body and mind the time needed to adjust to losing weight. In addition to losing weight, you will need to develop lifelong habits and it takes time to develop healthy habits because you do not want to gain the weight back once you hit your goal weight.

You're right.

I really DON'T have a healthy relationship with food. I went from only drinking diet sodas and purging (which resulted in a quick 45 lb weight loss) to a terrible binge eating habit. I think this "hunger" could possibly be somewhat emotional. I seem to be hungriest when I don't lose weight, or I discover that I've gained. When I lose, I can ignore the hunger better.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent place to start. Read it along with all of the links embedded and see if that is something that you want to try:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I lost an average of less than half a pound a week. May have taken me a few years, but I made it. All the times I starved myself and lost 20 pounds quickly I gained at least that much back. It might have been frustrating at how slow it was sometimes. It was worth the wait.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well if your body follows the math, than if you have an actually deficit of 500 cal per day, you would lose a lb of fat a week. Weight would fluctuate though. Honestly, with 100 lbs to lose, you may get impatient with 1 lb a week, although 2 lbs per week might not give you enough food. Essentially, you need to find a happy medium that allows you to fill full and still keep you motivated. Maybe I would suggest 1.5 lbs per week as a goal and set exercise goals or inches/picture goals too. Honestly, i find most women at losing at 1700-2100 calories daily.

If you want to open your food diary, we can make some suggestions. It's possible you aren't eating the right types of food to get enough nutrients and causing you to be tired and hungry. For example, is your diet high in carbs and low in fat/protein?

I believe that MAY be the issue. I now follow a vegetarian diet, and am a serious carb lover.

do you follow a vegetarian lifestyle because of ethical reasons of the believe it's healthier? Either way, upping fats and protein will solve the issue of hunger and so does fiber. I prefer all three at once.

I follow this type of diet because the thought of eating meat has always felt yucky to me. I've unknowingly been a flexitarian my entire life. I hate knowing that I'm eating an actual animal. I was a pescetarian, but even THAT bothered me, so it's veggies only for me. However, I am not vegan. I still eat diary. I want to give up eggs one day as well. Maybe milk, too.

And there is probably the issue. Eating a diet high in carbs leaves most people hungry. There are ways to get more protein doing a veggie diet, it just takes more time and research. There are many ways to get more protein such as nuts, eggs, protein powders, protein bars, soy, beans and probably more. Honestly, the more protein you can eat, the more full you will feel.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hello, it's me for the 100th time! :laugh:

Just wanted to hear from the individuals who choose to lose their weight slowly, and are only at a 500 calorie deficit per day. Now, for the ones that may not know, being at a 500 calorie deficit on a daily basis, means you are aiming to lose 1 pound per week.

To the ones that are taking this route, is the weight coming off slower than expected? Faster than expected? Do you feel this is a wise decision for someone like myself, who has about 90-110 pounds to lose? Or should I continue to aim for 2 pounds a week?

My issue is that my weight fluctuates waaaay too much. I'm having trouble keeping two pounds of my weight loss OFF , and I'm HUNGRY! My calorie range is getting a little difficult to stick to. I'm having cravings, I'm super TIRED, and did I mention that I'm HUNGRY??!! :grumble: :explode:

What's your opinion on this? :smile:

P.S. I added in the part about my fluctuating weight, because I wonder if I went too low on my calories, and my body is in shock or something. My doctor gave me some kind of metabolism test, which revealed that I should be eating 1600 calories daily. However, that was like 20 pounds ago. MFP suggests 1500 a day to lose 2 pounds.

When you aim for 1 lb a week and 500 cal per day deficit you run the risk of having issues because if you go over a little, or miscalculate or measure incorrectly then you may find a zero loss.

You have a very little margin of error doing it this way.
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    tried 2 pounds a week, was miserable.

switched to 1 pound a week - much happier. Consistently losing .5-1 pound a week as expected, and am loving life. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, not hungry all the time. I think I'm developing a much healthier relationship with food.

And after a few months, even .5 pounds adds up! I know what you mean, how it feels like a tightrope at first. So close to where you were that if you breathe wrong or eat that one wrong thing all your hard work is gone. It's not - just stick with it. After 6 months, my .5-1 pound a week has added up to over 20 pounds. There were some disappointments and plateaus but over all I'm headed in the right direction!

If I can do it, you can too!!!
  • PrissyPisces
    Options
    Hello, it's me for the 100th time! :laugh:

Just wanted to hear from the individuals who choose to lose their weight slowly, and are only at a 500 calorie deficit per day. Now, for the ones that may not know, being at a 500 calorie deficit on a daily basis, means you are aiming to lose 1 pound per week.

To the ones that are taking this route, is the weight coming off slower than expected? Faster than expected? Do you feel this is a wise decision for someone like myself, who has about 90-110 pounds to lose? Or should I continue to aim for 2 pounds a week?

My issue is that my weight fluctuates waaaay too much. I'm having trouble keeping two pounds of my weight loss OFF , and I'm HUNGRY! My calorie range is getting a little difficult to stick to. I'm having cravings, I'm super TIRED, and did I mention that I'm HUNGRY??!! :grumble: :explode:

What's your opinion on this? :smile:

P.S. I added in the part about my fluctuating weight, because I wonder if I went too low on my calories, and my body is in shock or something. My doctor gave me some kind of metabolism test, which revealed that I should be eating 1600 calories daily. However, that was like 20 pounds ago. MFP suggests 1500 a day to lose 2 pounds.

When you aim for 1 lb a week and 500 cal per day deficit you run the risk of having issues because if you go over a little, or miscalculate or measure incorrectly then you may find a zero loss.

You have a very little margin of error doing it this way.

You know what, this makes a lot of since, and is definitely something to consider. I'm still sticking to 2lbs per week, and I'm trying to find new ways to eat so that I'll feel fuller. Mainly trying to add more veggies to my diet, and remove some of the snacks.
  • PrissyPisces
    Options
    tried 2 pounds a week, was miserable.

switched to 1 pound a week - much happier. Consistently losing .5-1 pound a week as expected, and am loving life. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, not hungry all the time. I think I'm developing a much healthier relationship with food.

And after a few months, even .5 pounds adds up! I know what you mean, how it feels like a tightrope at first. So close to where you were that if you breathe wrong or eat that one wrong thing all your hard work is gone. It's not - just stick with it. After 6 months, my .5-1 pound a week has added up to over 20 pounds. There were some disappointments and plateaus but over all I'm headed in the right direction!

If I can do it, you can too!!!

Thank you so much for the encouragement! :flowerforyou:
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I personally would set it to 2lbs a week!!

If your hungry - This is down to your diet - Eat lots protein - Lots of chicken, fish, nuts, turkey, etc - Anything high in protein this will keep you fuller for longer.

Have little snacks thoughout the day, will keep you full - Instead of have a big lunch/dinner etc.

Get lots of water into your diet, alongside good complex carbs, fruits and veggies
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Well, I have set my weight loss goal as 1lb a week. I had 28 lbs total to lose though, so that was why.
    Now, some weeks I lost nothing.. but today is my day 30 (so 1 month) and I have lost a total of 5lbs (yay me!)
    It didn't happen at 1lb a week every week - but I actually lost MORE than 1lb a week if we average it over the month.

Slow and steady wins the race, and I don't want to feel hungry or deprived - this is why I chose this goal for me. I know that I can maintain these eating habits once I reach my final goal weight.
  • crystalblair2355
    crystalblair2355 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I personally would set it to 2lbs a week!!

If your hungry - This is down to your diet - Eat lots protein - Lots of chicken, fish, nuts, turkey, etc - Anything high in protein this will keep you fuller for longer.

Have little snacks thoughout the day, will keep you full - Instead of have a big lunch/dinner etc.

Get lots of water into your diet, alongside good complex carbs, fruits and veggies

^^^^^ I TOTALLY agree with THIS!! ^^^^ eat more protien to feel full longer
  • lastfarewell
    lastfarewell Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I need to lose about 80 pounds. In the past I have tried for 2 pounds/week and I ended up quitting because I was hungry. I'm just starting again and I'm going with 1.5 pounds per week with the option to go to one pound a week so that my body can adjust to fewer calories. Over time, I may go back to 2 pounds, but I think the hunger from the calorie deficit was my problem in the past.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Carbs make you hungry. A simple generalization that works for most.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Prissy, milk is intended by nature to be a food. If you source it from responsible farms then you needn't have ethical conflict about using milk products.

Likewise the majority of eggs are unfertilized, so you aren't denying an animal life if you eat them. And again you can choose small, local egg brands that animal organizations rate well.

So you need not give up these foods.

Now, about your current diet and feeling hungry. My personal experience is that I feel ravenous all the time if I eat a low fat diet. So I try to bias my diet low carb while counting overall calories. I find when I do this, I'm full on fewer calories. Using this principal and exercise I've been losing 2.5 lbs/week for the past 4 weeks, and have been wondering if I should eat more or exercise less because of that rate.

You might consider whether adding back some fat, or adding more fiber, might help you feel more full on the same number of calories. Everyone's body is different, so it may not work for you, but you can give it a try. The worst that could happen is you gain a pound or two--and you can quit before it gets out of hand if you see it's not working for you.