Trouble hitting protein macros

Options
I have my protein macros set at 189, 1 gram per lb of body weight as I am trying to build muscle. One can only eat so much chicken and drink so many protein shakes in a day. Comments on other good (tasty) sources of protein that people are using great appreciated.

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, jerkey (turkey, beef, Trader Joe's even has salmon), protein bars, beans, eggs
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I thought you were good at 1gram per lb of LBM...???

regardless...I add protien powder to my smoothies..not just a shake.

cheese, eggs, beef, pork of all kinds, seafood, turkey, chicken.

I often use different spices on my meats..my diary is open if you want to see suggestions....

For example today at lunch I took leftover bbq'd chicken breast with cheese and avocado and grilled it in a wrap...was yummy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have my protein macros set at 189, 1 gram per lb of body weight as I am trying to build muscle. One can only eat so much chicken and drink so many protein shakes in a day. Comments on other good (tasty) sources of protein that people are using great appreciated.

are you trying to build muscle like get stronger- or actually get bigger???
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, egg whites. I happen to love cottage cheese <3
  • DVisfit
    DVisfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nut butter (i.e. almond or peanut) on celery, toast or apples etc.
    Hummus made with lentils with veggies
    Chocolate milk
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You're working on gaining muscle so I'm assuming you're on a bulk. 189g of protein on a bulk is a breeze.

Just 12 oz of chicken and a protein shake with 2 scoops of whey, which isn't much at all, puts you in at about 150g.

Then you've got a whole bunch of random stuff to eat throughout the day. After the chicken and shakes, things like nuts, cheese, beans, milk will easily get you over your 189 goal. Then there's a bunch of other misc. junk to eat throughout the day that has protein in it.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    1 gram per pound of body weight isn't necessary. 0.82 is all you need, and that already has a decent margin of safety built in.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Do you eat tuna? A small can of albacore tune packs 32 grams of protein. I'll often mix up 2 cans of tuna, some full strength mayo (helps hit your fat macros), sunflower seeds or chopped up almonds (more protein and fat), and whatever else you want (pickle relish, cheese, tomatoes, etc.). Sometimes I'll eat it with some Ezekiel "bread" but most often I'll just eat it plain and straight. All told you're looking at 70+ grams of protein.

In the morning, I'm a big fan of 3 egg omelets with ham.

My other big go to is chili. I've got a big thing of turkey chili and chicken and white bean chili in the fridge. Real easy to get protein from these and you can always switch up what you're putting in.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    There's a few protein pancake recipes on this site that are real tasty!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    1 gram per pound of body weight isn't necessary. 0.82 is all you need, and that already has a decent margin of safety built in.

0.82g is even high unless you're an elite-level athlete. Us normals won't get measurably better results over 0.64g / lb. [wish I kept the study I read]
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Alpine;

I just spent the last 20 minutes massaging my diner menu to get proteins DOWN to my target - where the heck were you when I needed you???
    Bilinski, cheese, pork tenderloin, pistachios, and more cheese. Backed off on portion size of the pork to hit targets.

What works for me is, after entering bfast (usually a "go to" with a little variation), I'll sort of pre-plan dinner (entering in MFP) and then fill in the blanks midday to hit targets.

The 4 oz's of tenderloin are still warm (32 proteins), will they help?
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above posters that 1g/lb of total body weight is excessive. More like 125-150g would be completely appropriate. Your ticker indicates your currently aiming to lose weight, correct? If yes, then aim for the 125-150 range to retain muscle.

My diary's open, if you'd like to peek. I hit 125g no problem (I don't NEED that much, but it keeps me full and compliant w/ my calorie deficit). Lotsa eggs, Greek Yogurt, and a mix of lean and fatty meats throughout the day. No protein powder needed. HTH
  • alpinehealth
    alpinehealth Posts: 85 Member
    Options

are you trying to build muscle like get stronger- or actually get bigger???
    I have gone from 74 kgs to 89 kg in less than 2 years and don't consider myself overweight. I have been lifting 4-5 days per week over this time, so am pretty certain a lot of it is muscle. But now I am wanting to remove my fat down to about 12% while maintain my muscle mass or even increasing it,
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Most of my research indicates 1 gram of protein per pound is important if you are trying to gain/maintain muscle while losing weight.

I work out at the gum 4 times a week (pretty intensely) and do cardio 3 times a week. I don't have too much trouble getting protein, and won't risk dropping lower. Plus, I feel better taking it in as protein than more carbs.
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Cellucor protein powder and quest protein bars
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Not definitive, but at least one study suggests doubling RDA is sufficient:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130829110430.htm
  • eoswald
    eoswald Posts: 9
    Options
    This is something I've often wondered. Interesting that it goes against the grain. I usually am above the RDA, but never have gotten close to my macros on here in the 9 days i've been dieting.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Have your protein in and around your BW, not need to stress about it more then that. For 99% of us, that' good enough.

Protein:

Tuna
    Chicken
    Fish
    Beef
    Peanut Butter
    Milk
    Cheese
    Cottage cheese
    Greek Yogurt
    Nuts
    Eggs
    Etc....

If you're trying to add muscle and size, make sure you're in a calorie surplus and make sure your Carbs are where they need to be.

Carbs are as important, if not more, then protein, when it comes to adding muscle and size.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

0.82g is even high unless you're an elite-level athlete. Us normals won't get measurably better results over 0.64g / lb. [wish I kept the study I read]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23446962

Energy-restricted high-protein diets (HPDs) have shown favorable results for body weight (BW) management, yet studies differ in their outcomes depending on the dietary protein content. Our objective was to determine the effects of dietary protein content on BW loss-related variables during a 6-mo energy restriction with the use of diets containing protein at the level of requirement [normal-protein diet (NPD), 0.8 g · kg BW(-1) (.) d(-1)] and above (HPD, 1.2 g · kg BW(-1) (.) d(-1)). In overweight and obese participants (24 men and 48 women), BW, body composition, and metabolic responses were assessed before and after subsequent energy intakes of 100, 33, and 67% of the original individual daily energy requirements. Protein intake was consistent in the NPD (0.8 ± 0.3 g · kg BW(-1) (.) d(-1)) and HPD (1.2 ± 0.3 g · kg BW(-1) (.) d(-1)) groups throughout the study (P < 0.001). BMI and body fat mass similarly decreased in the NPD and HPD groups (P < 0.01). Fat free mass (FFM), resting energy expenditure (REE) compared with predicted REE, and diastolic blood pressure (DBP) changed favorably with the HPD compared with the NPD group after BW loss (P < 0.05). A NPD of 0.8 g · kg BW(-1) (.) d(-1) is sufficient for BW management, whereas a HPD of 1.2 g · kg BW(-1) (.) d(-1) is necessary for preservation of REE and a stronger initial sparing effect of FFM and lowering of DBP.

HPD - high protein diet (1.2g/lb lean mass)
    NPD - normal protein diet (.8g/lb lean mass)