Diets that work

Options

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Not to mention humanity for hundreds of thousands of years lived just fine on low-carb diets. High carb diets are unnatural and the reason why everyone is sick and fat. Lots of "science" (read: studies rife with selective bias) promote high carb diets. But that's mostly because the organizations heading up the studies include the FDA, which have a stake in commodities that are predominately starchy vegetables (which are high in carbs). Any salesman will tell you that you "need" their product.

Everyone, eh?
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    None. Eat less. Move more.

Forget the word diet.

Eat healthy from now until you die.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Not to mention humanity for hundreds of thousands of years lived just fine on low-carb diets. High carb diets are unnatural and the reason why everyone is sick and fat. Lots of "science" (read: studies rife with selective bias) promote high carb diets. But that's mostly because the organizations heading up the studies include the FDA, which have a stake in commodities that are predominately starchy vegetables (which are high in carbs). Any salesman will tell you that you "need" their product.
    The FDA has a stake in the starchy vegetable commodities? Look, I think the government is a mess where food is concerned, too many conflicts of interest for them to be of any use to nutrition discussions, but the "starchy vegetable lobby" is NOT at the root of the problem.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    1. Use a diet that will work for you LONG-TERM, don't fall into any fads or other BS.
    2. Diet eating as many calories as you can. For example, if your maintenance calories are 1800, try first 1700 and see how it works, adjust down 5% to 10% as needed.
    3. Paleo-style diets are fine, but don't forget foods like Sweet Potatoes and Red Potatoes, other carbs. Paleo is a generic definition as ancient cultures all over the world had different food available to them, including things like grains.
    4. Carbs... No, carbs are not needed by any means but at the same time they're not this evil thing that they are made out to be. Try doing a Keto diet for like 2 weeks with 35grams of carbs or less to help get your body use to using fat and it will also help improve your insulin sensitivity and you'll use carbs more efficiently. From there you can add in carbs as needed. From a pure performance stand-point, there are plenty of studies that show performance and capacity improvement from having carbs and there are those that show marginal difference from following a more Keto diet. Short-answer is... find what works for you. This is not something you'll figure out right away, but be patient and work with it. If you're a marathon runner or something like that, you'll need to eat more carbs in the long-run.

My MS program is largely based on performance based training but many of the same rules apply. Here's some research I had to do recently around carbohydrates

Coyle E, Jeukendrup A, Wagenmakers A, Saris W. Fatty acid
    oxidation is directly regulated by carbohydrate metabolism
    during exercise. Am J Physiol. 1997;273:E268–75.

Kreider R, Leutholtz B, Katch F, Katch V: Exercise & Sport Nutrition. Santa
    Barbara: Fitness Technologies Press 2009.

Jeukendrup A. Carbohydrate supplementation during exercise:
    does it help? How much is too much? Gatorade Sports Sci Exch.
    2007;20:1–5.

Here's some additional reading our professor gave us:

--Aragon, Alan Albert; Schoenfeld, Brad Jon. Nutrient timing revisited: is there a post-anabolic window? Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 2013, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p1.

--American College of Sports Medicine; American Dietetic Association; Dietitians of Canada. American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Nutrition and athletic performance. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 2009 March; 41(3): 709-731

--Colberg, S.; Albright, A.; Blissmer, B.; Braun, B.; Chasan-Taber, L.; Fernhall, B.; Regensteiner, J.G.; Rubin, R.R. & Sigal, R. (2010). Exercise and type 2 diabetes: American College of Sports Medicine and the American Diabetes Association: joint position statement. Exercise and type 2 diabetes, Medicine And Science In Sports And Exercise, 42(12):2282-2303.

--Kreider RB.; Wilborn CD.; Taylor L; Campbell B; Almada AL.; Collins R; Cooke M; Earnest CP.; Greenwood M; Kalman DS.; Kerksick CM.; Kleiner SM.; Leutholtz B; Lopez H; Lowery LM.; Mendel R; Smith A; Spano M; Wildman R; Willoughby DS. ISSN Exercise and sport nutrition review: Research and recommendations, Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 2010, Vol. 7, p7.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

No sorry but that just isn't the case. A lot of healthy people eat quite a bit of carbs. It doesn't magically make them sick and fat. It's true that a low carb diet can aid wight loss. But there is literally zero reason for a fit and healthy person to avoid carbs. You need to wake up and realize that people are sick and fat because our lives have become sedentary and we have become dependent on pre prepared food which tends to be extremely unhealthy.

Geez I mean the things people will believe to skirt around the idea that sitting around on our *kitten* all day and eating pizza and ice cream isn't doing us any good. By all means tout the benifits of low carb. As honestly there are some to be had for those wanting to lose weight. But it isn't the solution to everyone's problems. And frankly for a healthy human being it is an unhealthy diet. Especially if they intend to have any athletic performance at all.

Also to be honest the way low carb shoppers go on about it like it's "diet Jesus" I am half tempted to believe the brain needs carbs theory.
  • smfh
    smfh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • paulzli
    paulzli Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I eat an apple everyday (accompanied by a slight calorie deficit and consistent exercise)

no visits to the md for you.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Also to be honest the way low carb shoppers go on about it like it's "diet Jesus" I am half tempted to believe the brain needs carbs theory.

My biggest thing about something as strict as Paleo or Keto is that for most people it's not maintainable long-term. For individual's that are overweight, part of the challenge is getting into health habits that are maintainable for life and not just the short-term. Generally speaking, most people are not going to maintain a low-carb diet for life; some people obviously can but those are not the norm. Finding balance that works for you is key.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The FDA has a stake in the starchy vegetable commodities? Look, I think the government is a mess where food is concerned, too many conflicts of interest for them to be of any use to nutrition discussions, but the "starchy vegetable lobby" is NOT at the root of the problem.

Big potato is at it again....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Big potato is at it again....
    LOL! Big Potato! That made me laugh out loud.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

No sorry but that just isn't the case. A lot of healthy people eat quite a bit of carbs. It doesn't magically make them sick and fat. It's true that a low carb diet can aid wight loss. But there is literally zero reason for a fit and healthy person to avoid carbs. You need to wake up and realize that people are sick and fat because our lives have become sedentary and we have become dependent on pre prepared food which tends to be extremely unhealthy.

Geez I mean the things people will believe to skirt around the idea that sitting around on our *kitten* all day and eating pizza and ice cream isn't doing us any good. By all means tout the benifits of low carb. As honestly there are some to be had for those wanting to lose weight. But it isn't the solution to everyone's problems. And frankly for a healthy human being it is an unhealthy diet. Especially if they intend to have any athletic performance at all.

Yes, they don't want to see science because if it goes against their views then it is a conspiracy.
    Here is a meta-analysis that is really rustling jimmies across the Low carb zealots.

http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/blog/low-carb-vs-balanced-diets-the-debate-rages-on/
    Here is just a sample
    FTA:
    " Johnston et al compared a ketogenic diet (33 g carbs) to a balanced diet (157 g carbs) in a sample of 20 sedentary overweight/obese men and women. Total protein and calorie consumption were held constant so the only thing that differed between diets was intake of carbohydrate. No differences were found in fat loss or markers of cardiovascular health. The big strength of this study was that all meals were individually prepared giving a high degree of confidence in the results. The study was limited by a duration of only 6 weeks and a small sample size.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I get what people are saying and you should eventually read that guys really long post on really important stuff. It's worth reading and taking seriously.

However, I read your post as looking for a meal plan that works for you, that can get you started without feeling totally overwhelmed.

Try this: http://www.freedieting.com/1200_calorie_diet.htm (I found it from an old post)

The note next to it is that this is not a long term solution, more of a get started fast (I agree with that). Once you get more familiar with logging (and don't lie) you will soon learn what foods are worth it and those that should never be consumed by humans :)
    How to incorporate the foods you need with the foods you love. It's all a balancing act that can work. It is a lifestyle change that for some it's easy and for others it is a constant struggle on a daily basis.

Speaking from personal experience and seeing what others have done for quick results do yourself a favor and GET MOVING. Oprah's trainer Bob told her if you want to maintain, you need to move 3 days a week, if you want to lose...5-6 days a week.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I get what people are saying and you should eventually read that guys really long post on really important stuff. It's worth reading and taking seriously.

However, I read your post as looking for a meal plan that works for you, that can get you started without feeling totally overwhelmed.

Good point: some folks ARE asking for a sort of a roadmap/meal plan etc. to get them started. I often suggest phase 2 of South Beach Diet as a good starting point for learning how to eat and eating to lose and then moving on from there. But anything balanced (and at a calorie deficit) will do.
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    :wink: :grumble: :indifferent: :sick: :cry: :flowerforyou: :yawn: :blushing: :happy: :explode: :ohwell: :smooched: :sick: :heart: :drinker: :cry: :brokenheart: :brokenheart: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :tongue: :angry: :explode: :grumble: :noway: :love: :ohwell: :flowerforyou: :indifferent: :embarassed: :glasses: :frown: :smokin: :smile: :wink: :laugh: :happy:

My biggest thing about something as strict as Paleo or Keto is that for most people it's not maintainable long-term. For individual's that are overweight, part of the challenge is getting into health habits that are maintainable for life and not just the short-term. Generally speaking, most people are not going to maintain a low-carb diet for life; some people obviously can but those are not the norm. Finding balance that works for you is key.
    I totally agree with the above. I tried low carb and after 2 weeks was the grouchiest ***** this side of the moon! Like the old saying goes...everything in moderation. Also, try to eat as cleanly as you can. :flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Good point: some folks ARE asking for a sort of a roadmap/meal plan etc. to get them started. I often suggest phase 2 of South Beach Diet as a good starting point for learning how to eat and eating to lose, but anything balanced (and at a calorie deficit) will do.

Is there a cost for this plan?
  • bcanderson123456
    bcanderson123456 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For all of those that took my comment on carbs as something from the government I stated it was from the institute of medicine. They are not part of the government but do provide the results of their research to government agencies such as the FDA. So if you want to dismiss facts because it is from " the government" at least look up the institute to understand what they do. Also you may want to reread my post in reponse to the Inuit argument that they eat low carb, turns out they don't. Carbs can even come from meat under the right conditions, but if some of you want to blindly believe Atkins then go for it.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me is eating like our ancestors did. I don't mean eschewing any modern comforts and eating undercooked meat and huddling in a cave. I mean choosing food items that are ideal for human biology. Skipping things like sweets, grains, sugars, and carbs in general and instead loading up on protein and fat.

The diet I follow is called keto (ketosis). The idea is that if you eliminate most carbs from your diet your body instead burns fat, and 24/7, not just while you're at the gym.

In a month I've lost 32 lbs. I don't feel sick after eating (which I did in my previous high carb diet). I get full without paying attention to calories (and my calories are always under my daily limit). I'm never hungry after meals.

Keto is what works for me. Give it a shot and see if it works for you.

you do know that there is a minium requirement of around 130g of carbs a day to ensure proper brain function. So to lose weight at the expense of long term brain trauma doesn't make sense to me. The 130g comes from the institute of medicine and is not some Dr Oz type thing.

you do know that the liver is capable of producing enough glucose from dietary protein to keep the brain running just fine, right? and that the brain is capable of utilizing ketones, the byproducts of a high-fat/fat burning way of eating, for fuel as well, right?
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Adopt a healthy lifestyle which includes consuming an appropriate amount of healthy foods, less processed foods and incorporates physical activity. Healthy foods include fruits, vegetables, lean meats, fish, poultry in appropriate portions. (Portion control is important). You will commonly hear that weight loss is 80% consumption and 20% perspiration.

MyFitnessPal is a wonderful way of identifying what is going into your mouth and keeping track of it. It will also tell you how many calories you will want to consume such that you can maintain a healthy weight loss. It helps you to avoid weight loss at an unhealthy rate.

I lost over 100 pounds by adopting a few key principals.

1. Log everything.... if it goes in your mouth. Log it!
    2. Increase your intake of fruits, vegetables and exercise. My mantra was 5:30 - 5 servings of fruits and veggies and 30 minutes of exercise a day. Most of us don't get sufficient doses of either (exercise/fruits/veggies)
    3. Read the Label - Avoid eating foods with ingredients that you can't pronounce. If you can't pronounce an ingredient... don't eat it. This includes most processed foods.
    4. If you think you are hungry... drink a glass of water and go for a 10 minute walk. If you are still hungry when you come back... you probably were hungry. There is a close relationship in our brains between hunger and thirst, such that sometimes we aren't sure which. At the very least, you stay hydrated and get 10 minutes of exercise.
    5. Try to exercise such that you burn off your smallest meal of the day... if breakfast is 300 calories... exercise it off.
    6. Schedule your exercise. Its amazing how much a calendar reminder on your computer can help motivate you. And really... this is time for you. If you don't look after yourself, who will?
    7. Don't skip meals... skipping meals leads to binge eating later.
    8. Put your fork down between bites. It takes 20 minutes for the brain to figure out the stomach is full... By slowing down your eating you will consume less. Further - Like Momma always said, chew your food 30 times before swallowing - same effect
    9. Watch for hidden calories and find substitutes - I used to love creamy salad dressings... until I realized that I added 100 calories to my salad... I now eat Salsa with my salad. 2 tbs Salad dressing vs 1/4 cup of Salsa... which do you suppose is more filling? (I opt for low salt varieties as well).

Anyways... I've avoided work for too long typing this. Hope some of this makes sense. Feel free to add me if you have any questions or need a little support here and there.

Cheers,
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Good point: some folks ARE asking for a sort of a roadmap/meal plan etc. to get them started. I often suggest phase 2 of South Beach Diet as a good starting point for learning how to eat and eating to lose, but anything balanced (and at a calorie deficit) will do.

Is there a cost for this plan?
    You can decide to read the book (bought, or borrowed from the library), or just use google/pinterest.

This website gives you a shopping list, and some good recipes.
    http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/shoppinglist_p2.htm
    The book has meal plans for each day of the week, if that interests you. I know some folks do want that.

It's basically lean meats, nutrient dense vegetables, low fat dairy, legumes, seeds, nuts, fruits and whole grains, prepared in a healthy manner (which is where recipe ideas come in). It's a good primer on how to eat healthfully, with a few indulgences built in.

I would NOT recommend joining the pay website. Not worth it. There are plenty of folks here who could support you, and several South Beach groups.