running and breathing

Options
I just cant seem to get it right. I have watched videos and read articles and I can breathe the way that is suggested when I am sittingor laying down but not when i am standing up. HELP!!!!!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What way is that?

Breathe however you have to. It's one of those do what works best for you type things. I cannot do the in through nose out through mouth at all.
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I cant do the in through the nose, out through the mouth thing either. I breathe the way I breathe, it works for me so I'm happy enough. I think as long as it is controlled and its not affecting your running then don't worry too much about it.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If you're bothered that you're not breathing like the videos but you're running fine then carry on doing your thing. If you mean that you're struggling to breathe/ panting/ gasping when you run then slow your running down and find your natural breathing rhythm once you're warmed up for me its tends to be in for 2 steps out for 2, other people differ, so you need to find what works for you. But as I say if the issue is you're struggling to breathe then slow your running down a little - you should be at a pace where you can hold a conversation.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I tried nose breathing and I just couldn't do it.

I run to music selected for a particular cadence (~180 bpm). When I first start out.... breathe in four beats, out four beats. I know when my heart is really pumping because I have to switch to two beats in, two beats out.
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I cant do the in through the nose, out through the mouth thing either. I breathe the way I breathe, it works for me so I'm happy enough. I think as long as it is controlled and its not affecting your running then don't worry too much about it.

I am so happy to read this! I can't breathe in through my nose while running and I always think I'm doing it wrong. I end up saying screw it and just doing it my way.
  • Kelly1552013
    Kelly1552013 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You have no idea how freeing this is to hear. In the Army the Drill Sergeants were always yelling at us recruits to breathe in through the nose out through the mouth. I could never call cadence while running either and it got me more than a few moments of torture. All these years I've thought I was the only one! Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone and giving me permission to do what works for me. Maybe someday I'll find that elusive runner's high and actually enjoy it! :)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    As long as I continue to breathe while running, I'm good.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Yes in general if your running fine and not sucking wind your doing fine. But if you do want to write on breathing just time your breath to your foot falls.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Yes in general if your running fine and not sucking wind your doing fine. But if you do want to write on breathing just time your breath to your foot falls.

That's what I do. Depends on the pace, but in for two right foot falls, out for two right foot falls.

And I also can't breathe through my nose. Even with all the allergy shots I've had over the years, an antihistamine and a steroid nasal spray, my nose gets blocked within a few minutes of vigorous activity.

Pro tip for fellow mouth-breathers: Get a good lip balm!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You have no idea how freeing this is to hear. In the Army the Drill Sergeants were always yelling at us recruits to breathe in through the nose out through the mouth. I could never call cadence while running either and it got me more than a few moments of torture. All these years I've thought I was the only one! Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone and giving me permission to do what works for me. Maybe someday I'll find that elusive runner's high and actually enjoy it! :)

Breathing through my nose while running dries out my sinus cavity which is so incredibly uncomfortable I refused to regardless of what the "advice" was. Turns out, it isn't necessary anyway.
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I tried nose breathing and I just couldn't do it.

I run to music selected for a particular cadence (~180 bpm). When I first start out.... breathe in four beats, out four beats. I know when my heart is really pumping because I have to switch to two beats in, two beats out.

I am excited to try this...