Strong lifts 5x5 or anything else

Options
Hi everybody

I feel I m gonna be stuck very soon.

In my gym female section has only ez-bar with set of 5 and 10 kg.
heaviest dumbbells are 20 kg too. So far I can do most exercises with 3 sets and 12 reps.
It's difficult to find workout routine on limited equipment. Strong lifts are okey, but I can't raise weight anymore.

They have few machines though:
1. Leg extension
2. Chest press one
3. Back extent ion
4. Chin ups and leg raise

Help please to design smth. I need to drop body fat, which is like 25 % now and 5 kg, and it takes sometimes months and months to do so.

PS: better gym membership here will cost me 300 usd a month which I can't afford. Nor we got any means of home gym :(

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If I'm reading this correctly
    "in the gym female section"

then you already have your answer.

go out into the ACTUAL gym- where the ACTUAL weights are- and ACTUALLY do strong lifts.
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    As I said- I can't go to actual gym coz prices are too expensive. I can't afford 300$ a month on gym only
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Why must you stay in the 'female section'?

I just go to the main weight room (where the population IS mostly male) and lift
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    The way its worded it sounds like your gym has a females only section (which a bunch of gyms do) so if that's thecase, Jo is saying go venture to the rest of the gym.

And 300$/mo for a gym membership? Ive never seen that, even at a Crossfit box.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What she means is get out of the "female section" and into what is probably considered the "male section" -- the part of the gym you're currently in that has actual barbells and squat racks and benches and such.
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Does your gym actually have separate male and female sections?
  • oksanatkachuk
    Options
    Oh ok :) western world :) I live in Jordan so no ladies allowed in male section. Open minded mixed well equipped gym is very very expensive . Prolly coz they wanna make sure that only high class people are coming and not gonna harass woman. Yeah ..
    And I guess I m the second female in Jordan to touch that 20 kg dumbbell haha .
  • AlliSteff
    Options
    DO you have space at home? You can always just buy your own rack and work out on your own
  • SuperJo1972
    Options
    Ahh. Hmm... Maybe look into calisthenics, bodyweight exercises? Or could you afford a basic weight set for working out at home?
    Have you approached your gym staff to ask if they might move some equipment to your part of the gym?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Oh ok :) western world :) I live in Jordan so no ladies allowed in male section. Open minded mixed well equipped gym is very very expensive . Prolly coz they wanna make sure that only high class people are coming and not gonna harass woman. Yeah ..
    And I guess I m the second female in Jordan to touch that 20 kg dumbbell haha .

Ah right right- makes total sense.
    Best option then is to try to beef up your own gym OR look into body weight progressions.
  • AlliSteff
    Options
    Maybe a TRX system at home may be helpful to you?
  • oksanatkachuk
    Options
    Ahh. Hmm... Maybe look into calisthenics, bodyweight exercises? Or could you afford a basic weight set for working out at home?
    Have you approached your gym staff to ask if they might move some equipment to your part of the gym?

Well, it seams that the answer on my OP is very much " nothing u can do" without needed equipment"
    Yeah I can review other options, just wanted to make sure that situation is really that bad :(
  • oksanatkachuk
    Options
    Maybe a TRX system at home may be helpful to you?
    Googling that. Thank you!
  • oksanatkachuk
    Options
    Ah right right- makes total sense.
    Best option then is to try to beef up your own gym OR look into body weight progressions.
    [/quote]

Sounds like a plan. I m not planning for a competition or smth, will this be enough to reach my goal for now?
    And shall I create what ever workout ? Is there any rules while making a program on my own?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Well, it seams that the answer on my OP is very much " nothing u can do" without needed equipment"
    Yeah I can review other options, just wanted to make sure that situation is really that bad :(

Ouch, regarding your situation. I'd ask your gym about getting better equipment for your section, then.

Barring that, I'd personally just go the bodyweight route, then. Check out nerdfitness.com or, if you can get a hold of them, one (or both) of the books You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning. Going that route will be a much, much smaller investment than any weight-based equipment, and you can get an equivalent workout as long as you continue through the progressions. As an added bonus, if you have the space at home, you can save the money you were spending on the gym.
  • ZaCkOX
    ZaCkOX Posts: 115
    Options
    Honestly you can weight train with anything heavy, put books in a backpack. I only did that in college. At home I have all the weight rack stuff so not really fair to say. But I will say, if you want to train heavier, it can be done without spending a ton of money.
  • SuperJo1972
    Options

Ouch, regarding your situation. I'd ask your gym about getting better equipment for your section, then.

Barring that, I'd personally just go the bodyweight route, then. Check out nerdfitness.com or, if you can get a hold of them, one (or both) of the books You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning. Going that route will be a much, much smaller investment than any weight-based equipment, and you can get an equivalent workout as long as you continue through the progressions. As an added bonus, if you have the space at home, you can save the money you were spending on the gym.

I was looking for a link to "you are your own gym" as it's meant to be good. :-)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Sounds like a plan. I m not planning for a competition or smth, will this be enough to reach my goal for now?
    And shall I create what ever workout ? Is there any rules while making a program on my own?

the goal- whatever plan you do- is progressive load- so make it harder as you go along- it does not have to be EVERY time you do another lift/exercise- or EVERY workout- but through the course of the program/long term training- you should be moving to a heavier weight- or a harder progression (if you chose body weight)

There are a few body weight programs
    nerdfitness: beginner body weight workout
    you are your own gym
    convict conditioning
    lovingfit.com (this is more about random workouts- and kind of a general over all goal- but not a structured training plan)

There are ways to do it- you just gotta kind of do some research and get creative.
  • oksanatkachuk
    Options

the goal- whatever plan you do- is progressive load- so make it harder as you go along- it does not have to be EVERY time you do another lift/exercise- or EVERY workout- but through the course of the program/long term training- you should be moving to a heavier weight- or a harder progression (if you chose body weight)

There are a few body weight programs
    nerdfitness: beginner body weight workout
    you are your own gym
    convict conditioning
    lovingfit.com (this is more about random workouts- and kind of a general over all goal- but not a structured training plan)

There are ways to do it- you just gotta kind of do some research and get creative.

Thank u !!