Flabby Granny Arms!

Options
Help! I'm getting some seriously flabby granny arms. You know, that flabby "wing" that hangs down when you hold your arms straight out. It's horrible!

What have you done to get rid of it? I'm glad I'm losing weight, but I don't want to be walking flubber, if you know what I mean. :bigsmile:

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Flap them vigorously~ LOL j/k

Try massaging firming lotion into them 2-3 times daily.
  • autumntia
    autumntia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Help! I'm getting some seriously flabby granny arms. You know, that flabby "wing" that hangs down when you hold your arms straight out. It's horrible!

What have you done to get rid of it? I'm glad I'm losing weight, but I don't want to be walking flubber, if you know what I mean. :bigsmile:
    If you have the Wii...do Wii boxing! I swear it tightens up those arms so well! It is a bit challenging but do what you can start with 10 minutes of wii boxing and then move on to more and more...It really is great! Also if you use a 10-15 pound dumbell and hold it straight up (arms fully extended) behind your head and dip it behind your head (bending your elbows) and bringing it back up (2-3 sets of 12 reps) this exercise really helps as well! Good luck
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'm getting those too. I feel like I could fly away...lol!
  • key03
    key03 Posts: 26
    Options
    your not alone in the flabby arm department, mine have a mind of their own! lol
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Me too! I've been doing lots of push-ups (girlie kind), but I'm working on doing the real ones and it seems to be working. I also do the plank and try to hold it for about a minute or two. AUTUMNTIA's suggestion is very good too. Good luck!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,370 Member
    Options
    There is not much that is going to help that. I look at it like this. It is heathier to have flabby Granny Arms than Fat ones.....:-) I know it looks like a shriveled baloon, but it is what it is. I have asked doctors, support group leaders, etc and tehy have told me even with exercise my arms are going to be like this unless I get surgery on them. Skin removal surgery. Insurance will not cover it and I am OK with it now.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have flabby arms and I've realized that it is because my triceps (the upper back of my arms) are very weak. I try to do targeted exercises but it is hard and I'm trying to build up some strength in that area but it is hard. Try searching some exercises designed for the triceps. I can't get through many so don't feel like you're alone- this is a tough area for many women- me included!
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 30 day shred, it has some great arm work. Also my zumba instructor has several "arm' songs. My arms are screaming by the end. I noticed a HUGE difference in my flabby arms lol
  • mrssavvysteve
    mrssavvysteve Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too...

I also fear that once all the extra weight is gone, I am going to need "remove excess skin" surgery.....hmm, better start saving.
  • lmcbride6
    Options
    I lost around 160 pounds and have them. I have had a tummy tuck due to extra skin. I asked my plastic surgeon about the extra skin under my arms. He stated that once the skin has been stretched and if it has been stretched for long periods then it will be there forever. Skin can be stretched to the point it loses elasticity. He said that the only way to get rid of it is to fill the excess skin with muscle mass. Get your spinach ready!
  • lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I used to not like my arms, but since i've lost someweight and been working out, they've improved tremendously! I am really trying to take care of my skin, especially with it being so dry in the winter, and drinking my water. It happened slowly, but both my arms and legs have improved! I used to dread having to give a "chalk talk" but not any more--not quite ready to show them off, but I am not self conscious about it anymore.
    :happy:
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Bat wings, chicken wings - whatever you want to call them, they are annoying.

Honestly I have so flabby skin I don't even worry about it. My goal was truly to be healthy and I'm there. My hubby loves every squishy inch, the furry children don't care how much flab I have as long as I walk them every day, and my family & friends are just happy I'm here and alive. Hubby even offered to get me plastic surgery if I wanted, I said no - its just a shell and I look great in clothes. No one else sees me naked and if I get a few stares when wearing a bathing suit, oh well. I got a lot stares at 436 lbs. Didn't care then, don't care now.

That said, my trainer actually helped me lose some of the bat wings. I do a lot of toning on the upper arms - focusing on triceps. I know that in theory spot toning isn't really a way to strengthen but he had me doing some extra tricep work and I dont' have "man arms" but I 've definitely got a lot less lose flesh.
  • kimmiebear70
    kimmiebear70 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to some exercises I found. I hope they help. I'm actually thinking of taking before and after pictures of my arms. :laugh:
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercise_demos.asp?exercise_type=upper
  • barberella
    Options
    I have to agree with the Wii Gold's Gym Cardio boxing! I love that game, especially when I first got it because the rewards used to be that if I got certain amount of "gold", I could go shopping for outfits..That was very inspiring. Also, it keeps track of how many calories you're burning and the higher levels you achieve, the more levels you "unlock". It was very motivating to see on the calender how many "punches" I would get, and it kept me coming back to it. I definitely recommend it because over time, it does tighten your arms up..And it helps in the leg department too cuz you're on your calves bouncing back and forth...
  • jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    YOGA! Yoga has helped my arms tremendously in the short time I've been doing it!! Here's the free website I use since I'm too cheap to pay for lessons..http://namasteyoga.blip.tv/file/2651050/
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I recommend weight training.
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    Tricep Extensions! They are killer and be prepared for just how little weight will make them tired and sore in the beginning. (I like both the seated (one arm and two arms) and lying verisons).

Chair dips.
  • katiesummers
    Options
    you want a 'shake weight' google it - AMAZING! 6 mins a day! perfect! i have had mu bingo wings since i was 15 years old!! they have halved in size since using this! i love it!
    or tricep extentions! they are great too
    but the shake weight is an all over arm and shoulder work out!!
  • katrina1025
    katrina1025 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well I don't have "bat wings" but feel your pain with the stretchy skin. I have a few stretch marks from the babe. And my oh so observant husband remarked "the skin on your belly feels smooth but funny." I'm not really sure if he was trying to be nice or what. But I smacked him none-the-less. Like someone else said better to be healthy and "flappy" :)

I'll take solace in not being alone :)
  • nelsaphine
    nelsaphine Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    YOGA! Yoga has helped my arms tremendously in the short time I've been doing it!! Here's the free website I use since I'm too cheap to pay for lessons..http://namasteyoga.blip.tv/file/2651050/

Wow really...I've been wanting to do Yoga but didn't have the money to buy any videos!! Thanks for sharing the info :)