Struggling

Options
I am struggling to get started on my weight loss journey. Part of the problem is a horrible relationship with food. I eat too much junk food and am an extremely picky eater when it comes to eating things like vegetables. I am logging diligently even when I overeat and don't want to admit it, but I am finding that it is not enough to shame me into not eating the food, only enough to make me cringe while I munch. I also tend to eat when I'm bored or unhappy, and when you're at work, getting out and doing something else isn't really an option.

The thing is, I don't have time to wait until "I'm ready" or have an "aha" moment that magically makes me change my ways. I have been told that I have fatty deposits on my liver that could develop into liver disease, liver failure and a plethora of other issues. My doctor has told me I need to change or eat my way into an early grave.

I've been doing some cardio, I hula hoop every day and I've been trying to get on my elliptical when I have the motivation. But I suffer from severe depression that makes motivating myself very difficult.

I guess I just want to know that other people struggle and maybe what they do when they are struggling to make a lifestyle change.

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Do log everything, but not to shame yourself. Your log is DATA, nothing more or less. You need to log honestly so that you can look back and see what works for you and what doesn't. Keep it password protected if you have to, but always be honest in your log so you can use that data to make decisions in the future.

I'm a fairly picky eater too. You wouldn't find many veggies or even fruits in my log--I'm just not that girl. You can lose weight anyway.

For me, even when I was at a great weight and fit, the hardest part of EVERY workout was STARTING IT. It has to become a non-negotiable item in your day, like brushing your teeth or getting dressed. The deal I make with myself is that I will go for 20 minutes. (that was when I was fit--now it's more like 10.) If I am still dragging my sorry butt through it at that point, I'm done. But more often than not, I want to keep going.

Yes, it is that much harder with depression, but exercise is actually even more effective than meds for depression.

If you need to make a deal with a buddy or neighbor or someone at your gym to show up a few times a week for a joint workout, then do it. It's amazing how reluctant we are to let someone else down than we are ourselves. If a commitment to a workout buddy is what it takes, then that's what it takes. It can even be a virtual buddy here!

You can do this. Small steps. Don't try to change everything at once. Make one change a week. ONE CHANGE. You can do that.
  • tmo39
    tmo39 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Only you can make the necessary changes to your eating and lifestyle choices. Logging everything!!! is important. It definitely makes me think about calories in vs. calories out. If your depression is severe there are medications to help. Or at least help you get over the hump of getting into some healthy habits. Good Luck! You are worth it - You can do it