Can't put the food down! Don't want to self sabotage :(

Options
I'm exhausted, physically exhausted, and it's causing me to eat more, thus making me undermine my weight loss. I work two jobs at night, and husband is 3 years away from graduating from his PhD program, I'd just sleep during the day, but we've got two very active children, a 2 year old and a 6 year old. My 2 year old won't take a nap to save her life, so there go my naps. I take an occasional 5 hour energy to stay awake at night, but energy drinks get a bad rap, so I'd like to try to wean myself off. I take b complex vitamins, but they don't seem to last as long as I'd like. Any suggestions? Don't want to derail everything because I keep shoving stuff in my pie hole for the temporary energy rush. Thanks much!

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Put the kids in a stroller and go for a walk? Not gonna get into your family dynamic, but sounds like a reassessment of priorities might be in order there as well, at least until the kids get older. Lots of multi-use paths in OH you can kill some time walking around and not eating. Would also help to know how much you're eating, but the diary is your call so you get what you get.
  • markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The main thing you need to do is track what you eat and make sure you are eating healthy and keeping your eyes towards your goal. If you get stressed, as sonicdeathmom said, go outside for a walk. Get some exercise with the kids! Take them to the park and get them to use up that energy they have bottled up! Teach them good habits about going outside and getting exercise! Try to set aside a block of time during the day where you can sleep for 7-8 hours. Sleep is critical with losing weight and if you can't get enough sleep not only will you be dragging during the day you will end up having weight issues because of that. If you really feel the need to eat something eat something healthy like green vegetables that are low-no calories. Just remember to track what you eat, remember why you are doing this, and you will find a way to make it work. I hope this helps!
  • Hynniew
    Hynniew Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wait, so you work at night, and then you can't sleep in the day because you are watching the kids? Did I read that right? So when do you sleep? You need more than "naps", you need at least 7 hours of sleep. If your husband can't watch the kids while you sleep, you need to get a babysitter. No one can stay healthy without proper sleep. If you are eating to stay awake, the answer is not to force yourself to eat less, but to sleep more.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to make a dent until I got some sleep.

The 2-year-old and 6-year-old are capable of having a 90 minute quiet period so you can get a little rest.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Wait, so you work at night, and then you can't sleep in the day because you are watching the kids? Did I read that right? So when do you sleep? You need more than "naps", you need at least 7 hours of sleep. If your husband can't watch the kids while you sleep, you need to get a babysitter. No one can stay healthy without proper sleep. If you are eating to stay awake, the answer is not to force yourself to eat less, but to sleep more.

^This.

Forget trying to lose weight. Focus on sleep first.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep leads to elevated cortisol, low blood sugar, and increased snack urges. Much harder to lose weight. Energy drinks only mask the problem for a bit. If babysitting is not financially feasible, husband has to help more.