Weight affecting relationship

Options
I know this seems a bit dramatic, but one of the main reasons I want to lose weight is for my partner. :ohwell:

The previous relationship I was in was awful. He would constantly put me down, make jokes about my weight and see other girls behind my back. I am now in a relationship with someone who I think the world of. However I still have the same feelings from before, this time for completely unjustified reasons. I hate him being friends or working with any 'skinny and pretty' girls, because I don't feel good enough and get jelous so easily :embarassed:

Has anyone had any similar experiences? I don't know what to do, or how to control these feelings. At the moment i'm thinking that losing weight will help, but what should I do in the mean time? it's really starting to get me down. :indifferent:

Replies

• aaamberxx
    aaamberxx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have! About the jealousy part. I always felt like my ex only talked to them because they were skinnier than me. I know it's a bit ridiculous. I think the only real way to stop those feelings, is to realize it's crazy thinking. He is dating you for you! He'll love your body because it's yours. And you need to work on self love! Girl you're gorgeous, and he probably thinks the world of you. You got to rock your body, and you'll feel so much more confident, and with weight loss, you'll love it. He's not with those girls, he's with you!
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a series of makeovers, now, during and after your weight loss. You'll be looking in the mirror like, wow! You'll be so enthralled by your own fabulousness that you feel more confident, even before you've lost a pound.
  • Laura100AC
    Laura100AC Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have! About the jealousy part. I always felt like my ex only talked to them because they were skinnier than me. I know it's a bit ridiculous. I think the only real way to stop those feelings, is to realize it's crazy thinking. He is dating you for you! He'll love your body because it's yours. And you need to work on self love! Girl you're gorgeous, and he probably thinks the world of you. You got to rock your body, and you'll feel so much more confident, and with weight loss, you'll love it. He's not with those girls, he's with you!

Thank you so much for that :blushing:

At least the way i'm feeling is encouraging me to lose weight aha :laugh:
  • bonefetish
    Options
    Been there. It's like constantly feeling like his ex's are skinnier and more attractive. You just need to keep telling yourself he loves you for you.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to get over jealousy issues to be quite honest. I have a long history of self harm (it's been a long time clear of that, thank god) and poor self image so all the relationships I was in suffered. Until I figured out how to truly love and accept myself, all the relationships I had floundered.
    The man I'm with now supports me in whatever I do. And because I'm comfortable with myself, I'm comfortable with him. Do I get jealous once in a while? Oh yes. And then I step back and evaluate *why* I'm feeling that way. Confronting the feelings head on is how I had to learn how to deal with them.

This is how I started changing my mind set for the positive:

Every day when you wake up, before you you do anything else, write down one good thing about yourself. Put it on like a stip of paper and put it in a jar. That way, when you have a bad day, reach in the jar and pull something positive out. If it helps, ask your man if he'd write a few slips out to put in the jar, too.

Eventually waking up and thinking in a positive mind frame becomes habit. "fake it until you make it" is the truest thing I've ever heard.

You can do it. It's a hard uphill road, but you can do it.

You're absolutely gorgeous from what I can tell, inside and out.
  • Laura100AC
    Options
    Give yourself a series of makeovers, now, during and after your weight loss. You'll be looking in the mirror like, wow! You'll be so enthralled by your own fabulousness that you feel more confident, even before you've lost a pound.

That does sound like a good idea :happy:

I was kind of thinking of doing it all in one go and having a bit of a make over when I had lost weight, but I suppose no time like the present :tongue:
  • Laura100AC
    Options
    Been there. It's like constantly feeling like his ex's are skinnier and more attractive. You just need to keep telling yourself he loves you for you.

Exactly how I feel! :sick:
  • Laura100AC
    Options
    It took me a long time to get over jealousy issues to be quite honest. I have a long history of self harm (it's been a long time clear of that, thank god) and poor self image so all the relationships I was in suffered. Until I figured out how to truly love and accept myself, all the relationships I had floundered.
    The man I'm with now supports me in whatever I do. And because I'm comfortable with myself, I'm comfortable with him. Do I get jealous once in a while? Oh yes. And then I step back and evaluate *why* I'm feeling that way. Confronting the feelings head on is how I had to learn how to deal with them.

Every day when you wake up, before you you do anything else, write down one good thing about yourself. Put it on like a stip of paper and put it in a jar. That way, when you have a bad day, reach in the jar and pull something positive out. If it helps, ask your man if he'd write a few slips out to put in the jar, too.

Eventually waking up and thinking in a positive mind frame becomes habit. "fake it until you make it" is the truest thing I've ever heard.

Thank you so much, everything you said really means a lot to me :embarassed:

I really do think I need to calm down and think about situations before I overreact, but it is really hard to when you have that sick feeling in the bottom of your stomach, through no fault of his or my own.

At the end of the day it's his choice to come home to me every night I suppose :flowerforyou:
  • dogpaws4ever
    dogpaws4ever Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Umm, I am way older than you and I'm going to have to say that I totally agree with "Shadowofender" on this one. It's all fine and dandy to do make-overs and such to boost your moral. But that is only a temporary fix, because you are not working on the real problem and that is your own self-worth, or self esteem.
    Jealousy only comes out of a person who feels they are not worth much. This does not mean that the person you are with sees this at all, and probably adores you.
    But I can tell you from working with others, that if you don't love yourself first and foremost, and learn to get the attitude of "I am awesome, it's you that better match up to my expectation" .
    You WILL destroy every relationship you are in.
    Bettering ones self on the outside is only part of a process to make you feel awesome...you also need to work on the inside too.
    There are lots of books out there to help in this area, and or classes.
    I wish you good luck and success in your goal of losing weight and getting rid of the jealousy issues.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

That does sound like a good idea :happy:

I was kind of thinking of doing it all in one go and having a bit of a make over when I had lost weight, but I suppose no time like the present :tongue:

Yeah, I see that on here all the time. Now, I want you to picture this: a chubby woman, squeezing intense exercise into her already hectic life. An exhausted woman. That exhausted woman is also eating a lot less than usual. An exhausted, hungry woman. Exhaustion and hunger makes the woman angry. And she's wearing workout gear all the time. They keep the goal of "cute clothes," a good haircut, etc., as something they have to earn by, of all things, losing weight. As if they are unworthy of those things if they are fat. They are telling themselves this message, and that is the message that gets conveyed. I've been at a plateau for a VERY long time, but I'm still smaller than I was, and I get double takes because I put myself together, over a period of time. I'm a fat woman getting mistaken for famous stars and the hubby telling me I resemble a particular model.

And speaking of which, models and actresses get cheated on, they get jealous. People are selfish inconsiderate jerks sometimes, and that's life. It doesn't matter how beautiful, rich or thin you get, men can be real $@&&@ if the spouse has any concerns whatsoever about your new diet and exercise routine. Do what's best for you AND your loved ones. Regarding the jealousy, remind yourself how you WANT to feel. If you WANT to be happy, you have to choose to direct your attention away from skinny girls and onto something wonderful (not the bf - stop revolving your thoughts on him, it's not good for your happiness or mental health). It takes practice, but you CAN choose to stop jealous thinking, and you CAN choose to be the best version of yourself, all the time.

Best wishes to you.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are punishing the new boyfriend for what the old boyfriend did to you.

I really don't have any advice to give other than what has already been given to you by dogpaws4ever. Work on learning to love yourself and getting rid of the baggage from the previous relationship.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

Thank you so much, everything you said really means a lot to me :embarassed:

I really do think I need to calm down and think about situations before I overreact, but it is really hard to when you have that sick feeling in the bottom of your stomach, through no fault of his or my own.

At the end of the day it's his choice to come home to me every night I suppose :flowerforyou:
    Do you mean you bring it up with your boyfriend when you "overreact"?
  • Veryme
    Veryme Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I actually felt jelouse with not do skinny girl but in my she was crazy pretty. Losing weight might be good part of restoring beautiful you but not all. It would be nice to add some sexy dance lessons and way of communicating with men and women that you feel pretty. I heared there is a " beautiful woman behavior" ( don't mix with snobbish and irrogance!) but more with value and gravity to yourself and others. It should work wonders. And why not talk to guys , just like friends but may balance your emotions towards your partner communication ?
  • OhCora
    OhCora Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I know this seems a bit dramatic, but one of the main reasons I want to lose weight is for my partner. :ohwell:

The previous relationship I was in was awful. He would constantly put me down, make jokes about my weight and see other girls behind my back. I am now in a relationship with someone who I think the world of. However I still have the same feelings from before, this time for completely unjustified reasons. I hate him being friends or working with any 'skinny and pretty' girls, because I don't feel good enough and get jelous so easily :embarassed:

Has anyone had any similar experiences? I don't know what to do, or how to control these feelings. At the moment i'm thinking that losing weight will help, but what should I do in the mean time? it's really starting to get me down. :indifferent:

Darlin', you almost made me cry. I have felt the EXACT same way, most recently up until about 2 years ago. And I have been happily married for coming up to 20 years! You may get advice that tells you that losing weight won't make you feel differently, but personally experiencing it, I can tell you, you become a different person. You will feel such confidence, and that in itself is very attractive to a mate, and friends alike. So short answer, YES, losing weight will help you feel better.

I have heard so many people say that a person should love you for what is inside, regardless of what is on the outside. My husband does love me, always has, and hopefully always will. But he is happier with me, because I am a happier person!

Almost forgot. in the mean time, visit MFP all the time. read the inspiring stories. and remind yourself that you are getting healthier EVERY single day. Those good choices every time are wonderful. You are improving your life, there is nothing greater that you can do for yourself, so wow, what an amazing person you are!
  • benchsquad65
    benchsquad65 Posts: 147 Member
    Options

My first girlfriend and I both gained a ton of weight in our relationship- her because of her anxiety, anti depressants, and other things, and me just from tons of school food, and my own poor choices and other things. Fast forward to early 2012- I'm about to go on vacation with some bro's, and she said, "You know, at first I was worried about you meeting a girl there, but now I know that you're too ugly and fat for them to be attracted to you anyway."

After that vacation a month later, finally had the strength to break up with her, start my weight loss journey, and grow as a person.

If you have toxic people in your lives, kick them out. Life is too short to spend around people who don't care about you.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Honey, your weight is not affecting your relationship, your insecurity and emotional baggage is. Weight loss may help with confidence, but only if you work on the emotional stuff too. Losing weight won't magically fix your jealousy, and in fact it might not even cure your confidence problem. That's going to come from within.

You need to learn to trust your new boyfriend and not expect him to be the same as your last. You need to learn to trust yourself that he is with you because he desires you, admires you and wants to be with you. Or, if you learn that's not the truth, then you need to be able to free yourself. But by letting your last relationship poision your new one, your just letting some jerk continue to ruin your life and emotional health - why should your *kitten* ex have more influence in your life than your new fellow?

You do need to work on the jealousy. Nothing poisons a relationship faster.
  • Shannenelaine
    Shannenelaine Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You weren't skinny when he met you. It's not what is important to him. You have to be happy with yourself first otherwise you will never accept that others can love you the way you are. I used to worry about that when I was younger, but my boyfriends over the years have never been hurtful. The only one who was unhappy with my body was me. Now that I'm older, I wish I hadn't wasted so much time and effort on caring what others thought about me. You would be well to do the same.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The makeovers are fine for a quick fix but the makeover you need to work on is self-confidence. You shouldn't try to lose weight (or change your appearance) because you feel inferior to other people. We've all been there where we have just lacked self-confidence in ourselves, when it seemed like the whole world had their act together, except for us.

Try working on daily affirmations. Work of 5-10 things you love about yourself (smile, humor, heart, etc) and tell yourself everyday. I have been doing it for years and it truly helps me start my day of the right foot.

If you need help, check out this video of this awesome little girl. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR3rK0kZFkg
  • Laura100AC
    Options
    I am honestly overwhelmed by everything everyone has said, thank you all so much for your advice and support :love: :blushing:

I only starting using the social side of MFP this week and i'm definitely glad I did.

I know I need to work on myself first, because even when I do lose the weight, the mentality I have at the moment will always be able to find faults with myself :grumble:
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    The reason I asked whether you confront your boyfriend in a negative way or not was to find out how "acute" the situation is. If you voice suspicions to him, I'd do my best to stop talking about it to him or you risk driving him away before you've sorted out your own issues.

You've already said so yourself; he does come home to you and he has chosen to stay with you for how you make him feel among others. Maybe try to think a bit about how he would make you feel if the roles were reversed and he was the one with insecurities; what would you tell him to assure him he is your guy, your choice? And how would you feel if you weren't trusted completely? Do you think you might burn out at some point if it kept going on?

I'm not saying this to scare you or make you feel bad, but merely it is to perhaps make you see your situation for what it is. With realism and honesty you will go far and be confident.