Exercising and Topamax

Options
I'm currently taking Topamax 150mg/day for chronic migraine and I'm noticing I can't exercise like I used to.

I've read the warnings about overheating, but trust me, I sweat plenty and I hydrate plenty, I just feel like if I get going on some cardio, I'm going to pass out. I feel like this medicine stole my endurance, my stamina, my breathing, everything in the gym.

I've been doing what I can by taking 5-10 minute breaks between circuits, but I'm a healthy 32 year old woman. I've completed 4 half marathons, I'd love to train for another one but I don't know if Topamax will allow me.

I love the medication other than that! I love being headache free and the weight loss!

Has anyone else noticed an effect on their physical activities when taking this medication???

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Talk to a pharmacist or doctor. (sometimes the pharmacist knows more about side effects)
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was on Topamax for seizures and I suffered from several side effects, one of them being decreased sweating and increased body temperature. It wouldn't surprise me that it is decreasing your endurance. I really don't how this could be remedied other than adjusting your dosage. I would talk to your physician for advice. I'm glad this medicine is working for you otherwise, I wish I could get back the years I was on it.