Exercises to lose weight in arms?

Options
I am on my weight loss journey, I sill have about 60 pounds to lose. I'm down 25 and looking for ways to lose weight in my arms and start toning them. I don't want flabby arms if I can help it and want to do it right from the beginning!! Any suggestions on how/where to start?

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    you cannot pick areas where the fat comes from.

what are you doing for exercise? i'd recommend a good weigh-lifting program to maintain your lean mass as you lose fat.

you still have a bit to lose, so just keep going and you'll see the results.

congrats on the first 25!
    awesome job!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Losing weight comes from a calorie deficit.

Technically you CAN spot reduce, by using that limb as little as possible to reduce muscle. Rather hard with arms.

That doesn't sound like what you want.

Afraid it's just a case of keeping a consistent calorie deficit over time to lose fat - your body will choose where it looses it from and there's no way to influence it I'm afraid.
  • alyssamaryw
    Options
    I don't know about losing weight in your arms, but if you're looking to work your arm muscles I would suggest looking up the workout from Ballet Beautiful. There are no weights involved, it's a very simple movement, but doing it enough times you start to think, "Man, this really burns!"
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said you can not spot reduce body fat. You lose weight by eating at a deficit and the fat comes off from all over your body.

To make sure your weight loss is mostly fat you will want to do strength training. Otherwise you may lose some muscle while just dieting and doing cardio.
  • lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    while you cant choose the areas to lose fat from, you can do some excersies to help certain areas tone up. I really like Tracy Andersons workouts. you can check them out on youtube. I like all her workouts, they are different and intresting, plus, she is not the typical "cheerleader" type of instructor. If you check these out, perhaps you can let me know what you think.
  • Pneeleysmom
    Pneeleysmom Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I guess I worded that wrong. I want to try to prevent having "Flabby" arms.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    You mean you're trying not to have "bingo wings" as you lose weight? Some amount of extra skin is normal. Lifting weights consistently helps with how that extra skin appears.

Even just using your own bodyweight as resistance is a good start and will help ensure bingo-winglessness. Read the article below for more info on getting started with a good bodyweight routine!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting, or resistance bands really could help build muscle and make everything a bit more firm
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    You can gain muscle in your arms, but until you lose the body fat, it could even make them look flabbier - think getting a very thick bed cover and putting a big water bottle under it.
    Now swap the thick cover for a thin sheet.

If you start doing exercises now, you should look even better when you lose weight for various reasons.

I'd always recommend looking at Starting Strength, Strong Lifts or new rules of lifting for women.
  • supnicole
    supnicole Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you can't spot reduce. The only way you can "prevent having flabby arms" is to maintain the current muscle mass you have in your arms by weight lifting. You can't control whether or not your body is going to hold onto the fat on your arms. I'm not sure you're going to get the answer you're looking for.
  • Pneeleysmom
    Options
    As others have said, you can't spot reduce. The only way you can "prevent having flabby arms" is to maintain the current muscle mass you have in your arms by weight lifting. You can't control whether or not your body is going to hold onto the fat on your arms. I'm not sure you're going to get the answer you're looking for.

supnicole, thanks for the response. I corrected to say that I want to try to prevent having flabby arms...
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Stella_Mayfair Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS HUN!!! 25 lbs omg!!! Yes I am like you I wanna tone all over, frickin arm flab. I do a lot of swimming at the gym, and water resistance on the arms, and push ups. May try some 2lbs dumbells and reps. Hope it works so we both can beat the flab.
  • lorddaddy411
    Options
    Do "Dips" and different types of curls and tricep extensions. Start with medium weight and hi reps to sculpt and avoid adding bulk. you might need to start with weight assisted dips at first then start doing your body weight. This will mostly add muscle and tone but the others were right, with healthy diet and cardio you will lose fat all over.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Along with a slight or moderate calorie deficit, I highly recommend some type of body weight training or resistance training. My tricep area is a bit soft if I'm not flexing, but overall, I feel like everything is actually pretty firm. I was worried about having that "flabby" look too, so I incorporated resistance training into my regular workouts right from the get-go. For the first year, I did mostly circuit training with lighter dumbbells as well as body weight training (especially push-ups and planking exercises). In January of this year, I started a heavy lifting program. :smile:
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I hear the shake weight is great for toning arm muscles.

shes-in-on-it.gif
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Cut your arms off.

Or...as others have said, lift weights. You'll probably not get your arms looking as you'd prefer until you build some muscle in them. I've got the same problem with my glutes/quads, they just don't look great. So once I'm done with fat loss I'll switch to adding muscle and increasing strength. That's the idea at least.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options

shes-in-on-it.gif
    Darn it! You beat me to it!
  • NubianPrincess808
    NubianPrincess808 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is your current workout? Have you tried PiYo yet? This is a great total body workout! No weights, no equipment great results.
  • Pneeleysmom
    Options

shes-in-on-it.gif
    Darn it! You beat me to it!

BAA! Thanks for this!
  • Pneeleysmom
    Options
    What is your current workout? Have you tried PiYo yet? This is a great total body workout! No weights, no equipment great results.

NO! I have heard of this though. Maybe I need to look into it! I have been walking/Running a few miles a day, I know at some point that's not going to cut it anymore. I lost my first 20 basically because I was dealing with the stress of a pretty brutal split and divorce with my husband. It was final as of last Friday and now I need to pick myself up off the ground and focus my negative energy and hurt into something, and what better than exercise?!!? :)