What is your why

Options
Sometimes I struggle with why continue on this journey. Is it for my daughter, my job, overall health. I'm curious why everybody else is doing this

Replies

• dizy17
    dizy17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    why? for ME! to live a longer healthier life and feel awesome.
  • mirandagod77
    mirandagod77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Totally for ME! I feel good, i have great energy when I eat and exercise so it just makes sense.:happy:
  • rosanna88_
    rosanna88_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    To finally be comfortable in my own skin
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    why? to be honest, I've been on and off many times and each time I am amazed at muscle memory! I thank God for it! lol!!!

I do it first for me. I need to be healthy to live long.
    second, for my children. they're in their teens and have lost their dad when they were toddlers and at one point my son was afraid of me disappearing too.
    3rd. I want to be married again. I need to be what I want to attract. I want to be attractive and sexy.

:) yup. let's do this!
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I hate being the moose in the changing room! I didn't like not being able to bend (I can now!). So it's basically all about Me!
  • Veronnie87
    Veronnie87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I want to have a baby and not be tipping the scales at 200+lbs afterward. My parents were both overweight when I was a kid and it sucked sometimes that they weren't able to run around with me (I'm an only child, so it's not like I had a lot of other people to run around with!). I want to be a fit, healthy and sexy wife/mom when that time comes.
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    For my kids (ages 6,3, and 1). The women in my family tend to die young (by age 60) and a lot of that is due to weight issues (although some of it is genetics or just bad luck) and I want to try to stay around to see my kids grow up and know my grandkids someday.
  • qmmanager69
    qmmanager69 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For me, because I deserve to feel better. Because my joints can't handle the extra weight and I can't wait to remember what my face looked like before all the chins appeared. Also for my kids, because they deserve a mom who can play with them, run with them and just generally keep up. And for my husband because he needs to lose weight for his own personal reasons and together as a team, we can succeed where separately we've failed.
  • natalia32
    natalia32 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Many reason's, I think I'm a prime target for diabetes, my mum already has it. I feel self-conscious if I meet some-one who hasn't seen me in a few years, (oh she let her self go!). I have more clothes that don't fit than do fit. I'm unpleasantly surprised when I see photo's of myself, some how I look worse in pictures than looking in the mirror?! I want healthy eating rubbing off on the kids not the sugar filled treats that use to be filling the cupboard. (There is still some treats in the cupboard).

I'm a 42 year old mum from Cheltenham, England. I work in the hospital doing office work part-time so please add me if you want a friend!:happy:
  • easto_79
    easto_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Great thread
    I needed some motivation today

I'm doing this because I don't like - buying clothes, travelling fat, being the biggest in the room, thinking about what I eat every second of the day, looking at myself in the mirror and feeling horrible and disapointed.

I'm doing this because I love - the way I feel after a work out, when I go to bed exhuasted from a great day, when I can fit into a dress I have never worn but bought knowing I would one day wear it!

Thanks!!
  • amo314
    amo314 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Mostly for me...I like the way I feel, I like the way I look, I like being able to move so easily. But also, I want to be a good role model for my son...eating healthily and being active.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Honestly it is all about me. Being more healthy, looking better,
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Fashion, baby. But seriously my clothes were too tight and I was heavier than I'd ever been. I wanted to get back to a weight where I felt more comfortable with myself and to be healthier in general. I'm feeling good these days and it's become something of a routine. I don't feel like I'm on a diet. So my why is to be healthy and fit for the long term, and the bonus is fitting into smaller clothes.
  • theCaityCat
    theCaityCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I do it for whatever reason is the most motivating at the time. I've been at this four three weeks (two with MFP) and I have many reasons. Whatever reason it takes at the time is good enough for me. Here are some of mine:

-I feel physically and mentally exhilarated after I exercise. That's often enough motivation to get started. In fact, if I exercise in the morning, then I'm a lot more likely to do it again in the evening.

-Family history of heart disease, stroke, and blood cancers. Even though these things don't historically kill us young (seriously, paternal grandfather has had multiple heart attacks, COPD, and is still alive and kicking with a sharp mind at 89; maternal grandmother has chronic leukemia, is 81, and otherwise in great health because she still exercises and eats well), I'd like to see how long I can live WITHOUT these illnesses.

-I don't ever want to have to retire from my job due to ill health. I'm one of the lucky people who has a job they LOVE. I want to do it for as long as I possibly can.

-I have a history of joint injury. Exercise helps keep my joints in good shape, and eating healthily is also good for them.

-I do not consume dairy, meat products, or artificial sweeteners. This has greatly improved my mental and physical wellbeing, AND I'm doing something good for the environment. I'm not saying everyone should do what I'm doing, because if eating meat makes you feel your best, then you should do it. But for me it's the right choice. That motivates me to keep eating the way I do.

-I admit, I am vain about my clothes, hair, and accessories. I can dress myself well at any size/weight, but I feel better in my clothes if I'm exercising and eating well.

-I can't stand it when my husband is doing something better than me. He lifts weights at the gym. Ergo, I'm going to exercise too!
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My motivation was one of my co-workers, always talking about fitness and clean eating!!! I was super convicted, because I was on this journey before in 2013 and had lost 18 pounds. I gave it all up, gained that and more back. I had a health screen thru my job to qualify for an insurance premium reduction. I got my body measurements, cholestrol/blood work and weight taken.

I was HORRIFIED! This was the highest I had ever been. Between skyrocketed weight, tighter clothes and sleeping problems, I knew something had to give. I was having issues sleeping at night (with four crazy cats, I've been asking for it, lol). But seriously, I would have to mix pills like melatonin & Benadryl or take ZzQuil just to sleep. I was upping the doses by the week, and then would wake up with groggy, terrible side effects. I'd have to drink soda or other means of caffeine just to get me through the day and to fight off headaches.

I decided to slowly give up soda & cook more at home. Even if the foods were uber carb-loaded and terrible for me, I still decided to cut out the daily fast food for lunch and dinner. From the middle of May into June, I had lost 6 pounds just from cleaner eating!!!

Then in the middle of June (I think), I decided to re-start C25k!! I hated the program, running, all of it last time. I have never been a runner, never completely ran a full mile, even in school. I couldn't even complete a full week of C25k last year. So I was skeptical about it this time around.

I think it has taken being around others who have taken great care of themselves and it took losing the 6 lbs to revamp my fitness journey. I decided to start C25k outside instead of on a treadmill and it made a world of difference for me. What works for me may not work for you, but I finally had a system down: clean eating and primarily running.

Since I started C25k in June 2014, I have lost 8 pounds. I just finished the first day of week 6 this morning! I am snail slow, but I am moving. I now have made the habit of going outside and feeling like I NEED it! My body has been allowing me to naturally get tired WITHOUT pills. I am no longer dependant on caffeine to get me through the day. My completion has cleared up a lot more. Foods taste saltier and sweeter than what I'm used to. And junk foods/fast foods/meat make me sick!!!

So, that is the novel version of WHY I am on here!!! I want confidence! I want good health! I want energy!
  • jptrgrl1111
    jptrgrl1111 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For me it's all about feeling better in my own skin and in my environment! I've been (and AM!) fat and I've been thin. I see - and more than see - I FEEL how much differently heavy people are treated everywhere. When I was thin (5'7", 140lbs), getting a new job was easier, making friends was easier, even shopping was easier - shopping for anything from cars to clothes to food! It doesn't matter. The world is a more polite place the more in shape you are. As far as dealing with people around you, it's a happier place.

Being thin you never worry about the fat joke being told at the next table being about you. People in general are much more kind and welcoming to slim people than they are to heavy people. When you're thin and meet new people, they WANT to talk to you (NOT always a good thing the more you hear them speak!!). That isn't what happens in the same scenario and you're the heaviest girl at the table. Even invitations from "friends" dropped off after I gained weight. I've never understood the why of it but I've felt the effects of it. My "why" is that I would like my life back. I would like to be accepted as part of the world again instead of this outsider role that my weight has pushed me into.

No, thin is not just a mental state from somebody that has been on both sides of this issue. My personality is the same only my weight has changed so that speaks volumes to me about the differences in the ways I've been received - or not received - as the case may be... For those of us that have a lot a weight to lose still or those that may give up for now and come back later and try it again or even those that decide the battle isn't worth it and give up entirely, I would like to know - WHERE is OUR anti-defamation league and where is the political correctness for us??? We are just as good as they are.
  • dogpaws4ever
    dogpaws4ever Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    totally for ME! I'm at the beginning of what everyone calls a senior citizen.
    I've not slept well in years, my entire body hurts and I got tired of always feeling this way.
    It was my own son who inspired me to get going and do something about it.
    He has lost 100 pounds so far on his journey and I can see how much better he feels and looks.
    So it is now may turn to do this for me and only me.
  • daliyanin
    daliyanin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Myself, my family. So that I may enjoy a long, healthy life, watching my son grow, keeping up with him, being a good example for him so that he may also enjoy a healthy life with his children some day. He is my world and my reason for everything. Oh! And my husband too :-)
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    1. To dig up the 8-10 pack I know I have lurking under the outline I can see.

2. To inspire my wife to be and beautiful baby girl

3. To show everyone that I have the knowledge and that I can help them change their body by promoting my body
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My 9 year old daughter was premature and has cerebral palsy. Her current weight is 66 pounds. If I don't do something to get stronger, I will no be able to lift her out of her wheelchair, into the tub, or into my car for much longer.

I restarted P90X two weeks ago and am lifting heavy. I'm also working to lose the 10 pounds I managed to regain over the last few months.