Can't lose weight/ gaining weight on 1200 calories?

Options
I am roughly 5'5" and have been stuck at about 120 lbs for a couple of months now. My starting weight was about 148 and everything pretty much slid off without effort until I got to 125. I don't know what to do, and unless I'm eating under 700 calories per day + exercise, my weight goes up. Part of this could be normal fluctuation, which I understand, but I have no idea how to break this plateau. I used to be anorexic and I remember having no issues losing weight and was roughly 95 lbs previously, do you think this has permanently damaged my metabolism? Does anyone know what to do? I just want to get to 110.

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Whenever I hit a plateau I increase my intake to my maintenance level for a few weeks, then restart at a reasonable deifict.

At your weight your deficit should be no more than 500 calories per day.

I'm only guessing your age, but if I were to say you were 20, you should be eating no less than about 1600 for healthy fat loss. If you are active, you need to eat a bit more.

I'm 5'4", 38, and currently 139 pounds. I have been losing 1-2 pounds a week while doing P90X and eating an average of 1,800 calories per day.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    #1 At your height and weight, you are already at a healthy weight.
    #2 The less weight one has to lose, the harder it is to lose.
    #3 You stated that you "used" to be anorexic + your user name is bonefetish - perhaps not fully recovered from your ED?
    #4 See #1
  • gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    At 5‘5" 125 is probably the correct weight for you. 110 sounds a little low. Stay healthy and strong and be careful not to relapse into an eating disorder. Plateaus are to be expected, and you should also NEVER go below 1200 calories. Early on a did that a couple times and I think it sabotaged me a little(little or no loss that week). So, yes too few calories can work against you. Good luck and stay healthy.