Is fitbit better than mapmyrun?

Options
I use map my run to log walks/ runs etc. I go to the gym a few times each week too. Is it worth me getting a fitbit? I have never used one so not sure if it will be any help to me. Also, which is the best fitbit to get? I 'm on a budget so not the top-of-the-range one!

Replies

• Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you would be better off buying a heart rate monitor.

That being said, I have a Fitbit One and I love it! I wear it 24/7. I log my exercise based upon my heart rate monitor but then if my Fitbit thinks I burned more calories than I accounted for, it syncs with MFP and gives me extra. I also use MapMyRun but I use it for so I know my pace per mile. I have found that MMR grossly overestimates calories burned compared to my HRM, while my Fitbit doesn't account for enough.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Do all heart rate monitors have the chest strap? I don't want to use that as I often walk before or after work and don't want to be faffing about with straps!
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    IMO Fitbit zip is the best $49 I've ever spent. I also have a HRM but do t use it much. My Fitbit is a big motivator for me and coupled with MFP has been the longest I have ever stuck with loosing weight. I've been at it for over a year. I have had Fitbit since June 2013 and there customer service is amazing.
    To some yes t is a fancy over-priced pedometer but to me is has kept me motivated to become healthy and fit.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Fitbits are nothing more than fancy pedometers that count all day step based activity. Some models have altimeters to count flights of stairs and some have a sleep mode to track restlessness while in bed .... but they are designed to count steps. If you input your stride length, they can get fairly close in estimating distance.

The formulas used by HRMs are designed to estimate caloric burn from steady state cardio through constant monitoring during the exercise .. hence the strap.
  • fhttrs
    fhttrs Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    As the person above said, Fitbits are basically fancy pedometers. I wouldn't rely on their reported calorie burns at all. You'd really want a heart rate monitor for that. And honestly, the straps are nothing at all. Its just a band that goes around your chest and you can wear the watch at all times since it is actually a watch. The straps just snap on and off and can be put on/taken off in a matter of seconds.

If you're interested in knowing how many steps you're taking, I'd say get a fit bit. Otherwise mapmywalk/run/fitness is probably going to work just fine for telling you how far you've gone. It can also estimate calorie burn based on how far you walked/how fast you got there since it does have GPS capabilities (and fitbits do not).
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    BTW Fitbit a give you a better TDEE for yourself than any online calculator. I know they have to be fairly accurate bc I'm set up to lose 1 lb a week and that is what I loose going off of Fitbit numbers.

I also use map my fitness and only occasionally use it. And FYI the Fitbit app now has a gps tracker for walks/runs/hikes. I am trying to compare the two and I'd your not looking for something to track all day activity than Fitbit is the way to go. But if you are just looking for progress/tracking for specific workouts than mapmyrun may be what you want to try first.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone- I was feeling like I was missing something from not having a fitbit but I think I will stick with mmr for a while and save my pennies for some heavier kettlebells ;)
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you are just walking, a Fitbit would be helpful. If you are running; it wont be very useful as its just counting bounces and cannot properly log distance or speed if you are running.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit app actually does now have GPS capabilities and allows you to track and log a walk/run/hike the way MapMyRun etc do, while also counting your steps and your flights of stairs/hills. I find that more useful than MapMyRun etc. on its own.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If you are just walking, a Fitbit would be helpful. If you are running; it wont be very useful as its just counting bounces and cannot properly log distance or speed if you are running.

The Fitbit app uses a smartphone's GPS to record distance and speed, if you enable it. I normally use MapMyRide for cycling and running so I don't bother with Fitbit's app, but it does pretty much the same thing.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options

The fitbit allows you to enter both your running and walking stride. As long as you input this information correctly, it actually gives a pretty dang close measure of distance, I have found. I purchased a polar HRM two years ago, and now I hardly ever use it. But I am never without my Fitbit One. It motivates me to be more active by achieving goals and badges. And as long as I accurately log my food through mfp and stay within my meal plan for mfp, I was losing consistently. Since most all my exercise is walking or running, I no longer even log exercise, I just let fitbit send adjustments based on my activity. I highly recommend the fitbit if your exercise is mostly step based.

eta: I use a garmin forerunner gps watch to measure my actual distance and pace when I go for runs because I need the accuracy.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you would be better off buying a heart rate monitor.

That being said, I have a Fitbit One and I love it! I wear it 24/7. I log my exercise based upon my heart rate monitor but then if my Fitbit thinks I burned more calories than I accounted for, it syncs with MFP and gives me extra. I also use MapMyRun but I use it for so I know my pace per mile. I have found that MMR grossly overestimates calories burned compared to my HRM, while my Fitbit doesn't account for enough.

I've used MapMyFitness, I think, but it is not calibrated correctly. It over reports distance and hence, calories burned. I wrote them and they gave me a work around, but I haven't put it into effect yet.

I use an HRM (Polar H7) for cardio workouts, which is more accurate than using the database provided by MFP.

I also have a Fitbit flex, but I find I am too active for it to be of any use. It alwyas logs in a 0. I have another app called HealthyWalk that counts my steps, but doesn't sync with MFP. I use it to make sure I am staying as active as possible. It makes me remember to walk places instead of taking the train.