hit my original weight goal...

Options
itsbasschick
itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
in 2006 i ht my highest ever weight - 242 pounds. somewhere along the line, i decided i wanted to get down to 165 pounds. i did some food substitutions and got down to 192 finally in 2012. and i still had getting down to 165 in my head as the number i really wanted to hit. it developed all sorts of significance to me.

may 1, at 184.8 pounds, i decided i had to make some lifestyle changes. i wanted to be healthier (i have type 2 diabetes and hypertension) and feel better, so despite hip, leg and shoulder problems, i got going. i felt like my life depended on getting fit and healthy, and i used to love working out, but it was difficult to work around my injured parts. still, it was SO much worth doing.

and yesterday i hit that magic 165 pounds.

okay, i admit it - my goal on MFP is 145, but 165 was the number i'd think about for years, the weight where i would feel better. and you know what? i really do. i haven't felt this good in years, and my blood sugar is WAY down from just last may 1. i LOVE working out with weights again, getting stronger, being able to do more cardio and to add intensity. i still have a big belly compared to the rest of me (no, really - my waist is over 40 inches and i'm only 5' 3 1/2") but it's smaller than it was, and the rest of me has lost more fat than my belly. in fact, my calves look muscled and have some detail and when i flex my arms, my biceps are visible again.

so i have a ways to go, but i'm loving the journey. and even though i'm not done with losing fat, you know what? 165 is pretty darn good :)

Replies

• ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Awesome work!!! I have the same goal in mind! Well close, I'm going to re-evaluate at 170. My heaviest was 253.
  • itsbasschick
    Options
    i see you're down 44 pounds - good for you :) has that helped your joints feel better?
  • KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    yay Patti! Way to go.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    that's awesome!.. when i was 300+ lbs my goal weight was always 180...at the time 180 to me was skinny, but now that i'm almost there i think i need to change my goal weight to 150.
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Great Job. When I first started out, I thought 225 is where I wanted to be. Well this week, I hit that goal. I now want to get to 200. I will say this, my knees, back, joints, and etc... have thanked me. I don't hurt anywhere near the way I used to.
  • Moses101
    Moses101 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! How exciting to feel so good now! Good luck for the rest of your journey!
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! :smile:
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :bigsmile: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • snailrunner
    snailrunner Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Well done, that's a great achievement! Have you looked at how changing your diet can improve your diabetes? I've seen a lot of links on Twitter recently from Zoe Harcombe and Dr Aseem Malhotra.
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I understand the power of the goal number. I picked 175 as a goal when I started but when I finally hit it I realized I was still overweight at that number. But it sure feels good to hit the number you've dreamed about. I know those feels
  • peacheswi
    peacheswi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - awesome job!
  • itsbasschick
    Options
    aw, shucks - thanks, you guys *sniffs away a happy tear* and it sounds like i'm not the only one making progress! congrats to you who are :) we're all in this together!

snailrunner - i was all over that - did lots of reading. i changed to 6 smaller meals per day for less glycemic load per meal (which really worked for me), cut out certain foods. along with exercise and weight loss, my highest blood glucose in a given day is now 134 compared to just over 300 at the end of april :-)
  • sarahslosingit2014
    sarahslosingit2014 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Our start weights were similar and 165 is my original goal weight also - because it will put me in a "healthy" BMI instead of "overweight". I am now at 179 and can't believe I am so close. It's stories like yours that keep me going. You have a lot to be proud of :D
  • LettinggoinCT
    Options
    Great job!!
  • deannalynn66
    deannalynn66 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi itsbasschick! Congrats on your wonderful progress! If it's not too personal, I was wondering if you were taking meds for your diabetes. Your numbers improved greatly!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Amazing job!!!! Congrats :)
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    It is pretty darn good! Grats! =D
  • OhCora
    OhCora Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome!!
    I started at 252, got to 165 (for about 5 minutes) and then unfortunately gained 40 back. But I remember 165 fondly, and I am heading back there!!
    Thanks for reminding me why I want to be there!
  • kfritz7162
    kfritz7162 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi-

Congrats to you! 165 is the number I had in mind too. I started at 266.6 and have just hit 165.5...1/2 pound away.

Way to go.
  • cahf
    cahf Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Really great job! I think something we all need to do is be proud of where we are, and proud that we got there and/are maintaining wherever that is - even if it is a long ways from where we'd like to be. I'm down 14 but 75 or so to go. Today I found myself focusing on the 75 and reminded myself that I should focus on the 14 - that is better than I've done in a long time! So I say great job celebrating and being proud of yourself! You are healthier and fitter and 165 is awesome!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!