Should I add weights to my exercise now or later?

Options
I'd really like some input on this. I already know that muscle aids in fat burning, but I'm trying to decide if I should wait. I want to lose about 20 more lbs before I add the weights to my workout plan.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on this? Especially those who've have this struggle.... Thanks in advance.

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I say start as soon as you can and are willing/able. Not only the strength benefits, but for the benefit of retaining as much muscle as you can while you're losing. No, you won't BUILD muscle in a calorie deficit. But you can and will build STRENGTH (that's an awesome side goal to attain) and keep what you've got.

I can't think of a single person that's ever said, "I'm so glad I waited." The reality is always, "WHY didn't I start sooner."
  • skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I started right away with strength training, and I am very happy I did. With 15 lbs to go, my muscles are already defined. I don't do anything heavy, just some weight training to get in better shape.

There is no reason to delay a healthy habit :smile:
  • april_recharged
    april_recharged Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. Think I'll just get out the measuring tape and stay off the scale. I thought if I focused more on changing my eating habits, I could lose that way first then add the weights when I was ready to focus on toning.
  • Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this, I was wondering it myself. I do plan on starting weight training before I lose much more (as soon as I can afford the gym membership). I do plan to keep weighing myself, BUT I will use other metrics too (pictures, measurements, clothes!)

Oh and until I get to that point where I can afford the membership (SOON!!) I'm going to use nerdfitness body weight beginners workout. Better than nothing :)
  • OhCora
    OhCora Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    right away! you will see more drastic changes. and really, why wait to get stronger! And don't forget the squats. I lost 86 pounds and had such a flat *kitten*! I seemed to lack curves, and incorrectly assumed i needed to put a little weight back on. just made me chubby. I have a nicer shape now at a heavier weight because of the muscle. (I am still trying to lose weight, but you get what I am saying)
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I get asked how I have been so successful after rejoining MFP in April and I believe the secret is weight lifting. I lift weights 4 x a week and do cardio 6x a week. When you incorporate weights you will see a change in your body faster than if you just did cardio
  • april_recharged
    april_recharged Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Awesome comments... thanks for your responses.