What do you do to keep yourself from emotional eating?

Options
My anxiety is that at some point an argument, a breakup, any of these inevitable situations will happen and throw me in a down spiral of emotional eating again. I would just like to have a plan to avoid this possible dilemma, and keep progressing in my weight loss journey. So when in stress, bored, how do you avoid the fridge?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I check MFP to see whether I have the calories to spare.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I keep strawberries and grapes on hand so I can pig out whilst barely eating any calories.

Or make a cup of tea.
  • zombie130
    zombie130 Posts: 37
    Options
    exercise:) yay for endorphins!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that overeating will not solve my problems. I take a walk and listen to music. Sometimes, I go to the gym and pound the hell out of a piece of equipment.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you experience it, but when the urge strikes me to emotionally eat, I do it. I get on-and-off depression-like symptoms, and my more common problem is anhedonia (basically, feeling nothing), so food, nor any other indulgence seems appealing at the time. That state is impossible to willingly get out of and I always end up just waiting it out, possibly leaving a day of having done absolutely nothing in its wake. So if I'm just sad and something appeals to me, until I can manage getting to a mental health professional, I'm going for the appealing thing to stop the sad.