My legs are tired after 3/4th of a mile, advice/tips?

Options
I've started running again, and have been for the past 3 months now, however, my legs still get tired after 3/4th to 1 mile. Any advice or tips on how to get over this hurdle I'm facing? I figured I would've been able to jog about 2 miles straight by now (at a slow pace) but my legs are the reason I keep needing to stop because they just get tired so quickly.

Replies

• PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Push past it a little at a time. If you can get to a mile, you can knuckle down and run 1.1 miles. Then a little later, 1.2 miles. And so on. With outdoor running, try adding another loop around the block you live on. Just one extra lap at a time. It's just as much a mental thing as physical and the body does adjust eventually. You only get better at running by running more.
  • badcemom
    badcemom Posts: 50
    Options
    Strength training?
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Slow down your pace... Then once the fatigue lessens pick it up.... Your body will respond and fall into a rhythm... Good luck to you... It will get easier!!! ☺
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    After you accomplish your mile, finish with some sprints. Run the mile, walk for one minute, run as fast as you can for one minute. Do the walk/run cycle at least three times. Over the course of a couple weeks you will notice an improvement with your endurance.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Improve your level of aerobic fitness.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    My first thought is are you eating enough? 2nd thought is are you hydrated enough? 3rd thought is are you getting enough protein?

(i havent checked your diary yet)

ETA: Not open to me
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Slow down your pace, strength train your legs, look at what you are eating to fuel your runs. Also, remember to stretch and rest. All of this will help you to get further along into your run. I want to add that it may be mental (all in your head), sometimes as runners the mental aspects can stop us. Once you have been running for awhile you will be better a tuned with your body.
  • Luedde78
    Luedde78 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same problem. I don't have an issue with cardio, but my legs feel like complete lead. I started doing a 5K training and that has helped a lot. If you have a Smartphone, there are aps for it. I do not, so I went through Itunes and there is a free podcast for it. The only bummer about the podcast is you have to listen to the goofy music for the run / walk cues.