Super simple diet trick THAT ISN'T SPAM!

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have tiny Ikea bowls that are perfect for cereal and ice cream.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    OP:

This really does work and is genius. We don't even have full-sized "dinner plates." Our biggest plates are 11" luncheon plates, but I usually go for even smaller if possible.
    im 47 years of age and started menopause a little early and I find it very hard to lose weight.. any suggestions? I work out 5-6 days a week. im very frustrated as I never had this problem before.

As for you, you need to start your own thread and we need more information. How many calories you're eating, what type of exercise you're doing, if you weigh your food, if you're using a heart rate monitor to track your exercise, etc etc. There's not enough information in this post to help you. I would also suggest utilizing the search function to see if your questions have been answered before. (try "menopause," "exercise," and "calories.")

ETA: And your height/weight. Important piece that I forgot.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It makes a lot of sense, and I've found it works in many cases.

Works with ice cream. Anyone else have a tendency to fill their bowl of ice cream... and yet, when they use a tiny, tiny cone... one or two scoops is the perfect amount?
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I use plates that belonged to my grandmother, they're over 40 years old, and they're smaller than plates you can buy today because back then people didn't eat huge portions. But I'm thinking of buying even smaller plates.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I have small rice bowls from China which I've started using for ice cream, and an actual serving does not seem to swim in a giant vacant sea of loneliness. Now I'm considering buying a new set of dishes with this in mind (I've needed a new set for a long time, as I have a hodgepodge of 3 different sets.)

This had me laughing. SO true. This is why I use either a condiment bowl or a cappuccino cup for my ice cream servings. Otherwise it's a little anti-climatic.

lol, so true. poor ice cream is so lonely, i want to rescue it, and the rest of its family.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have these, they are gigantic:

10291945.jpg

but never break.
  • robster160
    robster160 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Totally works for cutting down on intake.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I eat with my left hand (I am right handed). It slows me down and makes me appreciate what I am eating.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I am totally a plate piler and a plate cleaner. Luckily I tend to load it with vegetables, but even so I bet I could stand to go smaller! I have big noodle bowls and smaller soup bowls and find that I'll eat twice as much soup if I use the noodle bowls than the little ones.

I want to try the plate thing but I think my husband would mock me, LOL.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I can imagine this working quite well, and definitely a useful weapon to have :) For myself though, I think I will stick with normal sized plates, and instead focus filling them with a lot of veg and salad, two things I have to keep on top of to eat enough of :)
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I used to try and do this. Then I realized that some of my meals didn't fit on smaller plates even if they were in my caloric range. I think it's a good way to get a rough idea but if you are already tracking the ingredients of your meal or weighing your ice cream, then the size of the serving dish is irrelevant. I do use a smaller dish for my ice cream but I still know how many grams of ice cream I am eating...and it's usually not enough.
  • Gloria67648
    Gloria67648 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I like using smaller plates & bowls. And if someone else is dishing up the servings I suggest that they give me a toddler size portion.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've been using smaller plates for several years now and while I agree that it looks like I have a heartier portion of food than I do, I still weigh in the 250s. :tongue:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I take my ice cream seriously, and I'm thinking maybe it's time to invest in some of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008GOZWDM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2V9GMSH9837FA&coliid=I1GKWIUFQY5TI5
  • bukowski_shine
    bukowski_shine Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Lot of posts here saying 'I fill my large plates/bowls with food/ice-cream etc and if I buy smaller plates I will eat less of it.' Now the question is don't you guys measure what you eat? Then how do you count calories?

And if you measure it and it fits your calories then what's the need for smaller utensils?
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    Lot of posts here saying 'I fill my large plates/bowls with food/ice-cream etc and if I buy smaller plates I will eat less of it.' Now the question is don't you guys measure what you eat? Then how do you count calories?

And if you measure it and it fits your calories then what's the need for smaller utensils?

I measure, for sure. I just like the smaller bowl bc my serving of ice cream doesn't seem so small. It's a mental thing
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, the point of smaller dishes isn't just to control portions, it's to make those portions more satisfying. Ice cream is a great example. If you measure a correct serving of ice cream into a cereal bowl, it will be this small little lump melting in a sea of empty space. If you put the exact same amount of ice cream into a fancy tea cup, it will be this big mound of creamy goodness piled up to the rim. It looks different, it feels different, and it's way more satisfying.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Another study also found that using larger cutlery does a similar mental trick as the small plate.............. but this could cause some problems if the spoon is too big to use with a dinky bowl lol
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time! It definitely helps. I use the smaller salad plates for all meals, and use the larger dinner plates, oddly enough... only when I'm eating salad! When the plate looks full, I start off the meal with the mindset that this is a big meal and will be filling. That kind of conditioning works very well for me.
  • pearlmullet
    pearlmullet Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The flip side of this phenomenon totally happened to me - an old roommate bought ginormous plates that must have been on sale somewhere, and we all stuffed ourselves for a few weeks before we realized what was happening.