When people notice your weight loss

13»

Replies

• Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    One of my sisters-in-law asked me "Have you lost weight? Your boobs are gone" (they're not, still a 34DD). The other said, "oh my God, you're half a person!" (I'm still a whole person). I think the first sister-in-law was just being mean, and the second wasn't, she just blurted it out accidentally.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    If people see you everyday--then they probably won't notice that much, until it's very obvious. It's the ones that don't see you often, that really notice it and will make a comment about it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    when people around me notice my weight loss I usually smile and say than you yes and then they usually ask me how I did it and I get to tell them about MFP, I know of at least three people who have starting using the phone app after asking me about my weight loss

I usually smile and say thank you, too. Sometimes if the person asks, I will tell them about MFP. A couple of my good "real life" friends have started using it and like it. However, more often the person will start using MFP for a few days or weeks and then report back to me how much they hated it and how it was way too tedious. As though I am a weirdo for successfully tracking my food and so on. I don't really care to be honest...but I just don't get what is SO difficult about it. The only time it kind of bothers me is when the person is desperate to lose, and won't even try logging for more than 2 days...but that's their problem, not mine!

This is my experience as well. When they come back with what a pain in the *kitten* logging is, I say, "Well, if losing weight ever becomes more important to you, it won't seem like such an effort. It's like most things - if it's worth it to you, you'll find a way to get it done, and if it's not, you won't." So far, this has shut everyone right up. A couple have even manned up afterward :tongue:

ETA: and back to the thread ... Most people that commented on my loss just wanted to know what fad diet I was doing. That was followed by "well surely X can't be on your diet", where X is the piece of yummy food I'm about to put in my mouth. Lately, I'm getting surprised comments that I've kept the weight off, and one about my new muscles (I'm in the middle of a cut after my first bulk). That one was really awkward - she was about to say I looked more muscular, but obviously thought I might be insulted by that remark, so cut herself off with "... err, I mean you look really fit, I mean athletic. I'm jealous!"
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    I just say thanks.

^ This.
  • littleancientheart
    littleancientheart Posts: 18 Member
    I don't think it's very appropriate for someone at work to comment on your weight loss, unless you bring it up with them. I have a coworker who talked about her "Summer Fitness" plans with me, for example, and occasionally reports that she's lost X number of pounds. She is opening the door for me to say "You look great, did you lose weight?" But if someone who has never talked about their weight with me is losing, I just keep my observations to myself. I haven't been in a situation where anyone mentioned my weight loss or weight gain to me at my current job, but I think I would feel uncomfortable unless I had said something about it myself beforehand.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
  • jessabear980203
    jessabear980203 Posts: 1 Member
    Personally, I love when people notice my weight loss!

At first, I didn't see it at all. I mean, the pounds were coming off, I saw that much on the scale, but I was still wearing the same clothes so it didn't seem to me like it was noticeable. Friends and coworkers kept telling me that they noticed my pants getting baggier and my shirts were too big and I would respond with a timid, "thank you".

Now that I am able to see in myself how much weight I have lost, I LOVE telling people thank you. And 99% of them ask how I do it, how I stay so motivated. I simply tell them by great 80% great nutrition and 20% exercise. I tell them about Herfbalife products and how to use them and make sure to stress how important it is to use a calorie tracking application like MFP.

It is a super feeling to have people want to better their lives and knowing I inspired them to take the first step.
  • richo59
    richo59 Posts: 25 Member
    People don't tend to notice if I put it on, or lose the weight. Or they aren't game to comment.
    I must have an even spread of weight over my body. It doesn't just come from one area, to be noticeable.
    I would love to have someone comment on how good I look, because I am feeling great. A few pounds to go.

Has anyone had this problem? My favorite bracelet is falling off my wrist. I have never had that happen before. Who loses weight from their hands and wrists, before their thighs? Strange to have to go to the jewellers to get my bracelet "taken in".
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    I realized before, when people would ask if I'd lost weight, and hadn't, that it could be taken to mean, I'm fatter in their head than I am in reality.

Whether that is good or not, is another matter.

Although, just because someone comments that you look good, doesn't mean you looked bad before. It just means they've noticed that something (your size) is different (and good), and that difference is more than likely due to conscious effort, which they are attempting to acknowledge. (all probably subconscious logic processing)

I've had plenty of people tell me how sexy/beautiful, awesome I am. When I was 280, now at 205, and everywhere in between. People will probably say it when I get to my goal.

I don't mind so much now when people say "you've lost weight" (although I was slightly perturbed about one co-worker's delivery) because it's ok if I'm fatter in their head than I am in real life - chances are I was fatter the last time I saw them. :)
  • I always say thank you, I appreciate that. It took about 25 lbs. for anyone to notice that I had lost.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    If they say "it looks like you lost weight" "I simply say, yes a little (no matter how much I have lost at the time), thanks."

When they ask "How did you do it?" I now make it simple to say, "Diet and exercise, there is no shortcut."
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    When someone asks me "did you lose some weight?" I say "why do you ask, did you find some? "

^This.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Fun thread! I have been maintaining a 95 lb loss for most of 2014. I generally get a kick out of comments - no one has been mean or rude. And the loss was so gradual my co-workers have just gotten used to the changes without comment (mostly). Even I still do a double-take when I pass a mirror or big window because I look so different. Funniest thing that happened - I teach elementary music and at the end of the school year a couple of teens I hadn't seen in 3 years came to my room to visit. They said, "We're looking for Mrs. Lopez. Is she here?" They were talking to ME! I said "You're looking at her." and they said "Nah. No you're no't!" I thought it was hilarious! I don't take offense. People can be awkward but well-meaning.