Anyone had success mantaining without counting calories

Options
can you maintain your weight by watching your potion sizes,staying away from calorie dense foods and keeping up with exercise.anyone gained weight back when they stopped counting and doing all the things I stated?

Replies

• jequirity
    jequirity Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes, I gained back.
  • Chibukalu908
    Chibukalu908 Posts: 212
    Options
    Yes, I gained back.

I am assuming you started eating more without realizing it
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I have only been at my goal weight five or six weeks, and I am still counting. My goal weight is 176, and I'm having a hard time staying in that area. I have got down to 172 a couple of times. Later on if I can get the hang of it with counting, I will try it without. But I have been having to eat ice cream {or some other high calorie food} before bed to get my numbers in line. I've also had to cut back on cardio. Like tonight I stopped after one mile walked {14 minutes @ 4 1/2mph}. Most nights I walk two miles at work.

But if you keep a tight watch on the scale, you should be able to do it without counting.

Good luck,

Larro
  • Early_Riser
    Early_Riser Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    No success. I gained back slowly. I'll always have to track.
  • jequirity
    jequirity Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: Yes.

Complex answer: Health complications made me gain it back faster then I normally would of.
  • valleemic
    valleemic Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Every time I stop tracking, I gain the weight back.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I always seem to gain if I stop using MFP. :(
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time keeping the weight on usually if I don't track. I'm really active and have a job that burns a ton of calories.
  • vlc0510
    vlc0510 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am new to this and maintaining not eating the foods I like is hard enough without having to count calories too! UGH!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I am not at goal, but I stopped tracking in May. I am 5' 8" and down from 230 pounds in December of 2012 to 165 pounds currently. I have more or less maintained the same weight without logging a thing for about three months. Hallelujah! I still watch my portions and I am in training for a half marathon. I use mfp occasionally to check calorie counts, but I have a pretty fair idea now of the caloric content of common foods and what constitutes a reasonable portion. I did see an additional 3-5 pound loss when I had to stop high impact exercise for about 7-8 weeks due to varicose vein procedures. I regained that as soon as I resumed exercise and went back to my base weight of 165-167 pounds. I am so pleased! It is a great relief to me to realize that the weight won't go back on overnight, and as long as I keep exercising and making better food choices, I will maintain. Once I am through my race, I will resume cutting with a final goal of about 150 pounds.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    So mad at myself because I stopped logging calories for a couple months now. I definitely put on some weight and can't bring myself to get on the scale.

I know it's a crumby excuse but trips with the family and nice weather just got in the way of counting calories for me. Now I'm paying for it ;(((

So the answer to your question is "NO"... I find counting calories works best for me and I better get back to it!!
  • PaulaButHag
    Options
    I did really good at maintaining my weight for about 2 years. Then last fall I had surgery, and have slowly put back about 20 pounds. I will loose the weight again!! I know how!
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    So far, yes I have had success maintaining. But I eat a certain way anyway - basically planning my meals based on macros. I make sure to eat a fruit at each meal, a veggie with lunch/dinner/snack, 1-2 carb servings per meal (3 meals a day), 2-3 oz protein per meal, milk for breakfast, and 1-2 fat servings per meal. I stay with fresh fruit and veggies, whole grains, healthy fats, and lean protein. Once in a while I'll have something different - usually eating out - like a burger and fries and enjoy it. And I get cardio 30-60 minutes 5-6 days a week. It was a little scary at first, like I couldn't trust myself without counting. But it has gotten easier. I just kept an eye on the scales and gained confidence that I could do it. I've decided to lose another 5-10 lbs of vanity weight so I'm back to counting calories but I'm not afraid of maintenance anymore.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I generally tend to maintain for a while and then slowly start to creep up. The good news is that if you keep an eye on your weight/measurements/the way your clothes fit you know it's happeneing and can go back to a brief period of logging again just to get back on track or just tighten the reigns.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'd gotten to goal two years ago, got pneumonia (and etc., etc.) and made a decision to just let mfp slide. I am now only 16 pounds down rather than 43. . . . and it's a slower crawl down this time, for sure...

I need structure, and not only for weight. It's something I apparently have to relearn in every aspect of my life.
  • Tyrone_S
    Tyrone_S Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've held for about 6 months without counting calories. However my diet is fairly boring and I know all of my portion sizes from previous meal plans. To gain, which I am just starting to do now I need to log my calories. To lose I see a nutritionist and get a meal plan, then I just have to weigh portions.
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for about 6 weeks now. My weight has fluctuated by about 2kgs, which is nothing in the scheme of things. I usually track at the beginning of the week, and by the weekend, I have stopped. No issues for me, because I am usually really good whilst at work as I pack my lunch and bring my own snacks. Nothing has really changed, just adding more fuel for workouts and more treats on the weekend!
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Yes, I gained back.

Yes, totally. That is why I have to keep logging!
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    It is theoretically possible, but only if you have a real handle on calorie counts of portion sizes, based on eating and logging those same exact foods long enough to know by eyeballing them how many calories are in them. In theory, you could maintain this way; however, you would have to restrict yourself to only a few combinations of only a few different foods in order not to accidentally, inadvertently, end up eating over your maintenance calories. If you estimate wrong, you can be sure your body will add up your calories correctly..Always does.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Obviously.