What are some cardio workouts that don't really use legs?

Options
I am recovering from an ankle injury and I'm supposed to rest it. I can't run, jump, walk a lot or bike without hurting it. Is there any cardio I can do without using my ankle?

Replies

• DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Swim with a pull buoy or hand cycle.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    sit on a yoga ball and do tae bo like punches..yes you will have to do a lot but boxing is a great work out
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Can you do air cycling? Lie on your back with your feet in the air and pretend to peddle a bike. Overhead arm press and arm circles both get your heart rate up and quickly.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I am recovering from an ankle injury and I'm supposed to rest it. I can't run, jump, walk a lot or bike without hurting it. Is there any cardio I can do without using my ankle?

Swim.

Although, honestly, not sure how you can bike without aggravating a bum ankle.
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Shadow boxing :smile:
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    hand cycle.

I do that, because my legs are useless (wheelchair). Love it.
    I also swear by horseback riding, no stirrups and have people to help me with balance, and nudge the horse along as needed since I can't dig in heels.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Swimming is probably your best bet. I had ankle surgery back in February, so I completely understand what you are going through. About six weeks post surgery I was allowed to swim (limited kicking at first) and seated/laying upper body and core exercises. I swam 3 days per week and worked upper body 2 days per week. It wasn't ideal, but enough to keep me somewhat sane for a period of time.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Swimming is probably your best bet. I had ankle surgery back in February, so I completely understand what you are going through. About six weeks post surgery I was allowed to swim (limited kicking at first) and seated/laying upper body and core exercises. I swam 3 days per week and worked upper body 2 days per week. It wasn't ideal, but enough to keep me somewhat sane for a period of time.

I tried swimming for a while, but had to quit, because female troubles and publicly used water don't mix. Sorry, TMI. :sick: