My sad, sad daughter

Options
sillygoose1977
sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
So, I don't like bringing this to this forum because it is pretty private to me but I am at a loss. I have tried almost everyting on my own and now I'm getting desperate. My daughter is 8 years old and very healthy. Four years ago, her dad and I got divorced. It was very civil and has actually saved our friendship. If we had stayed together, we would have hated each other and it would have been a very ugly environment for our daughter. Our divorce was simple, no fighting over anything. We moved on with our lives and she sees him every weekend. Shortly after our divorce, one of our closest friends and basically her godfather, killed himself. Needless to say, she has had an impossible time with this. She does not know the truth about his death. She is too young to know what he did. In the past few years we have both met and fell in love with other people, and now share homes with them. I provide a very calm, open and loving home for her. I encourage her to open up about any feelings she has all the time. I can't know for sure how life is at her dad's. She says they fight and I have witnessed his new gf drinking a lot. It unfortunately, is none of my business how things are at her dad's as long is she is safe and I don't doubt that she is.

The purpose of my ramble here is that lately she seems very depressed. She cries almost every night before bed. I talk to her in depth about her feelings. Of course she wishes she had her family back together and I understand that. I just don't know how to help her get over things. I have looked into couseling for her but I am on a waiting list. It is breaking my heart to see her so sad. I feel like a faliure as a mother that my child could feel so awful. She sobbed last night for over an hour. She has no other problems at all. She is very good student and a very kind little girl. I can't stand to see her like this. I don't know what else to do for her. I have talked myself into a stupor with her.

Has anyone been through this with their children? Will she eventually be ok?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Is there a counselor at her school that she could see while you're on the waiting list for a therapist? Some schools have part-time mental-health/guidance counselors, and since depression can impact a child's school performance, this is definitely something the school should be concerned with. My sister has struggled with depression/anxiety since she was super young - I think she's been seeing counselors since kindergarten/1st grade or so (She's in high school now). Some schools she's been in have been better than others in terms of the support they provide for students like her.

It sounds like you're doing what you can on your end - maintaining an open home, talking with her about her feelings, etc. Have you talked with your ex about this? It sounds like you have a good enough relationship that you should be able to - depression in kids is not something to take lightly and he needs to be aware of it so he can evaluate if he is doing everything on his end that he needs to do to support your daughter.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I went through it as an 8 yo. At least she has a dad who wants to see her. I would approach him calmly about the gf though and see if she can't refrain from her libations for 48 hours.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    i've been in your daughter's place (sort of, i had different things i was emotional about but i was a good student, nice person etc. and was still depressed) and counceling helped immensely! i suggest if you can to maybe find her an art therapist, thats what i had and it was amazing. the things i didnt feel like i could say (to my mom, my friends, and even my therapist) i could paint and draw and sculpt instead and it worked, i always felt better after i got them out. i'm sorry that you and your little girl have to go through this and i hope you can get some help. good luck and i'll be sending good vibes to you and yours.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Another thought - you may want to look at various resources such as books, websites, etc. There are books made for kids to help them process/handle divorce - these may help her see it in a different light. Also, some of these websites may help you find a different way to help her through what she's going through.

http://www.kidsturncentral.com/topics/issues/divorce.htm

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=divorce+books+for+children&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4379597325&ref=pd_sl_33ml6jwvtv_b

http://helpguide.org/mental/children_divorce.htm

http://lancaster.unl.edu/family/COPEDBooklist.pdf (A PDF document)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I have lived with depression since I was very young, and I can tell you this for certain: you need to get outside help. I didn't get help, and my parents weren't able to bring me out of the depression. Sometimes it's ok to say that you dont' have the answers, and you need some expert assistance. If she had asthma or diabetes, you'd take her to a doctor, right? Depression, even when it's temporary, is an illness. She needs treatment. You are doing an awesome thing for her by being open and letting her come to you with her issues, so don't feel that you've done anything wrong. Sometimes we just need somebody outside the situation to come in and help, that's all.

I would advise not putting her on medication, at least not until she's been in therapy for a bit and everyone knows what you're dealing with. For me, I should have been on medication of some sort because my brain chemistry just doesn't work properly, but for a lot of kids, therapy is enough.

Good luck, and hugs to you both. It's a hard situation, but you'll all pull through it. Don't despair.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    Is there a counselor at her school that she could see while you're on the waiting list for a therapist? Some schools have part-time mental-health/guidance counselors, and since depression can impact a child's school performance, this is definitely something the school should be concerned with.

this is also a wonderful idea. i've loved dearly every school therapist (elementary, middle and high school) that ever helped me. they're amazing people and they WANT to help and are very good at it.
  • cwhite6109
    Options
    I've battled depression as long as I can remember (going back to adolesents). My parents are still together after 50 yrs so it makes little difference the surroundings. You're doing the right things for her. Support her, let he talk/cry. Help her keep her thoughts in perspective. The post referencing a school councelor is good advise, for both of you. You need the resourse too. I would recommend talkimg to your ex about your daughters needs but tread really lightly around the issues that his GF may or may not contribute to. He should talk to his daughter as openly as you do.

My exhusband left two years ago for a much younger woman. Although she is fine toward my son, I can't say anything that references her. Fortunately, I have a very open relationship with my son (a teenager) so we're both doing well now.

You're a great mom from all accounts, be good to yourself too.
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    sillygoose,

sorry to hear that you and your daughter are struggling. As a child/adult that suffers from severe depression I highly encourage you to find help as soon as possible. As hard as it may be to understand there may be things going on outside her home life that she's not willing to talk about with you, as much as that idea may be hard to accept. She may be struggling in school, dealing with a bully, not liking her relationship with her dad or dad's gf, feeling inadequate compared to other girls, etc.

I agree with accountant about finding a school counselor to talk to, but would hope it could be done on the "down-low" if something is going on at school and may affect her other relationships, etc.

Also, is there another adult she feels comfortable and close with? maybe an aunt? grandma? cousin? Maybe it's possible for them to take her out to dinner and see if she opens up more about what's bothering her.

A trip to her PCP could be good as well. I know that they can survey a situation and perhaps prescribe meds, if necessary, or recommend a good child counselor that can see her asap.

It sounds like you have a wonderful home and provide a great life for your daughter. Keep loving and being there for her! Good luck and if you need anything (just to vent?) please feel free to PM me.
  • TanMac
    TanMac Posts: 77
    Options
    I have a 9 year old girl who struggles with change. I left her father when she was 3 1/2 and unfortunately her father has not be as involved as I thought he would be. I also have a 12 1/2 year old with the same man. She sees her father every other weekend and that's it. Doesn't call on birthdays or attend school events/meetings. To me it seems as if she suffers from "Daddy Issues".

My daughter seems to be depressed/down for quite some time! She has low self esteem/confidence and says that she is a "failure" all the time. I have since remarried and my husband has 2 boys who spend every other weekend with us (they live out of town). My daughter likes them but always feels left out and hates that she's the only girl (and the youngest). I have since signed her up for big sisters and she now has a match.

Her father has also remarried and they now have a 1 year old daughter. My children don't have their own room when they go to his house and are left out of any family functions on his side.

I comfort my daughter as much as possible but sometimes it's not enough. She has a difficult time understanding her feelings and after some counselling, Art Therapy was suggested. It's now a free service and it's not something I can afford at the moment. Perhaps Art Therapy may help your daughter?

I had a good chat with my daughter and explained to her as well that it's important for her to take some responsibility for her feelings as well. As much as I am here for her and do all I can for her she also needs to take some time to understand why she feels the way she feels instead of putting it on everyone else. Don't get me wrong, I am always there for my daughter but because I'm not her I can't give her direction.

Stay open, communicate and don't feel like a failure. I know how it feels as I am always blaming myself for the way she is. Seek some sort of counselling and look into Art Therapy...I've heard it's a great tool!! Also, keep her active. Have her join extra cirricular activities and keep her thinking positive!

If all else fails, look into the situation at her fathers house and talk to someone about it. I have had to make decision of limited access based on circumstances for the well being of my children.

Good luck!
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options
    I had a bit of a rough childhood. My parents fought all the time and most of the time my dad put my in the middle of the fight. When I was 5 me and my mom moved out for about a week. To me this was very strange I didn't really understand what was going on. Then when I was 7 my mom gave her wedding ring back to my day, and again I still didn't understand what was going on. It hurt inside alot. It was a pain that I could express to my parents. Because they were the cause of it. After years of fighting and yell and pushing and shoving, I started thinking that this was normal. I finally sat down with my parents (both of them) I explained how I felt. It felt so bad to tell them that I wanted to move out and not be with them. I was wishing they got a divorce. But, 21 years later they are still married. After my little talk with them, I still didn't feel any better. But it was something that I worked with on my own. Now, my situation is a little different then what you are dealing with you daughter. But, my suggestion as person with a rough child hood. Is get together with your ex and talk. Talk to your daughter together. Make her tell you and him your feelings. Make the life she lives as happy as possible. I'm pretty sure, your daughter doesn't really understand what is going on her life. She doesn't understand why her parents aren't together any more, why her best friend is no longer her. Try and explain it to her as an adult. Make her understand. This is something my parents never did with me. Don't hide her from life, explain it.
  • evetobeslim
    Options
    i, im really sorry your daughter is having a difficult time.
    You state that you are on good terms with her dad could you possibly have a chat with him explaining the difficulty she is having?
    There must be something triggering this for her, you dont say if you or her dad have had other children with your new partners?
    She needs time and lots of cuddles, reasurance that you and her dad love her very much, she is 8 so she will understand things when you talk to her. Lots of positive chats and fun times perhaps do something different to change her routine to get her think differently.
    Is she upset when she she has to stay at her dads or just at your home?
    There could be something she does not want to tell you that could be worrying her, let her know that she is safe with you and that she can talk to you about anything without making it a major issue every night . xx
    just a few ideas.
  • sillygoose1977
    Options
    I really thank everyone for the responses. I am on a wait list for a psychologist (I have to go to the university for low-cost because insurance companies don't care about mental illness). I appreciate everyone's comments so much. I am the only one of my friends that has been divorced, so I don't have anyone to talk to about this. My parents are still together, so I can't relate to my daughter's feelings. I know that her dad and I both are trying really hard to understand what is going on with her. I will look into all of your suggestions, except maybe medication. That is last resort.

Thanks again to all of you. :flowerforyou:
  • rmp777
    rmp777 Posts: 1
    Options
    I also have an 8 year old daughter - her dad & I have been separated for 6 months - they only see each other under supervised visits due to emotional and some physical abuse. She understands why he can't be home - but of course she loves him and misses him. She is depressed (and angry). She is in counseling - but I must say the difference is made in the day to day support at home, where she knows she is loved & it is safe for her to vent, talk, and be angry. Couseling has helped - & I get tools and a better understanding of how to deal with her (there are also other issues diagnosed by a psychiatrist - you may need to have your duaghter seen by a doctor if her depression continues - there could be medical issues too).

I would recommend the two of you reach out to others in need in your community - to help people with needs greater than yours or hers (e.g., homeless shelter, a women's shelter, etc.). This gets the focus off of ourselves. When we help others, WE feel better about ourselves and life in general.

I would also recommend you find other girls your daughter's age that face a similar family situation. Knowing they aren't the only ones with a mom & dad that live apart helps - & sometimes they will tell their peers things they won't tell mom or dad. See if there are other counseling options without a waiting list - does her school have a "lunch bunch"? These are kids from homes with divorced or separated parents that eat lunch together. If not, maybe you could start one? Does her school have a counselor? That might
    be another source of help.

Does she cry at her father's house too? I would be concerened with the dad's girlfriend & the home life there - it IS your business; your daughter may be negatively affected by their fights/etc., & may be blaming herself, or other issues might be going on that she does not want to share. She may be safe physically(?), but maybe not emotionally. You should find out more about that.

Also - take time out with her - just you and her, and have a girl's day or night out! What does she like? Do somehting special together - & make it a regular time you two can look forward to.

Finally - you are NOT a bad mom. I know you feel helpless - I do too. Don't play a blame game - that does not help your daughter - do give her support (& don't talk her to death - I do that too, & my duaghter tunes me out after a while).

My daughter & I are involved with a wonderful Christian church and supportive people - they do a LOT of outreach to our community. This may be another source for you - many churches also have counselors that could help you out, and direct you to some resources for you & your daughter.

I hope some of these ideas help - she is still young, and there is much hope for healing. I will remember you and your family in my prayers.
  • Erius
    Erius Posts: 23
    Options
    I have three young children, and I would be devastated if I felt as though I failed as a mother. The only suggestion I have is to maybe send her to talk with a therapist. There are some things you can only tell a stranger. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I really thank everyone for the responses. I am on a wait list for a psychologist (I have to go to the university for low-cost because insurance companies don't care about mental illness). I appreciate everyone's comments so much. I am the only one of my friends that has been divorced, so I don't have anyone to talk to about this. My parents are still together, so I can't relate to my daughter's feelings. I know that her dad and I both are trying really hard to understand what is going on with her. I will look into all of your suggestions, except maybe medication. That is last resort.

Thanks again to all of you. :flowerforyou:

I agree, medication is a last resort. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in my post. It's not something to be taken lightly, especially in a child that young.

The important thing is that she knows that you and her dad are here for her. That is SO valuable for anybody going through depression, especially a kid. No matter what happens, whether she does therapy or whatever, knowing that she has the two of you is the best gift you could give her.
  • smoothsue
    Options
    Sg, you are a wonderful and caring mom. My suggestion is so simply. Take her to your exercise classes and your walks. Exercise is a wonderful remedy for depression. Affirm her that she's beautiful, lovely, wonderful, good, special, smart, resourceful, and interesting.
    Have Dad affirm her too. Sometimes children blame themself for all the bad stuff that happens or for changes. They need to know they are not the cause of the effect. When talking about the Godfather, do it in a positive light always until she asks why did he die. Hope she is mature enough for your answer by than. Maturity in a child is not based on age but the understanding of life and love on people give and receive. I like what everyone here has shared with you. God bless you, your daughter and your friends and family.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • tuduis
    tuduis Posts: 67
    Options
    Is there a counselor at her school that she could see while you're on the waiting list for a therapist? Some schools have part-time mental-health/guidance counselors, and since depression can impact a child's school performance, this is definitely something the school should be concerned with.

this is also a wonderful idea. i've loved dearly every school therapist (elementary, middle and high school) that ever helped me. they're amazing people and they WANT to help and are very good at it.

COMPLETELY agree with this, as I did the same for my parents divorce and my counselor and support group made everything better...
  • DreamingOfSize10_UK
    Options
    I have no advice, I have never had children. I can say you sound like a wonderful mother :)
  • sillygoose1977
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You are all so sweet. It feels a little better just to have "talked" about it.
  • carmen62
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts and I too have have a sad, little girl on my hands. You sound as if you are assuming the divorce is the issue. It may not be the whole story. There may be school dynamics you are not aware of, so make sure while you are waiting for your appointment, that you contact the school counsellor and get the big picture. Also, her classroom teacher will need to be aware of her emotional state. She/He may have some light to shed on her, or at least be supportive with her daily school routine.

I know how heart-breaking this is. Stay strong. You are sensitive to her needs and she no doubts hears from you that you love her.