Healthy Diet, On a BUDGET!

Hey Fitness Pals, I am so new to this! I really wanna buckle down and get healthy!! I have just moved back home to my dads, and eating healthy has been hard! I think I need to start buying some groceries for myself, but I am also saving for a place. So any ideas on how to shop for healthy foods on a budget?? Any advice would help! I'll even take grocery list! Also, any ideas on how to motivate myself to get up and eat breakfast !! Lol. I love to sleep, and I am not a morning person! But I want to change my lifestyle so bad!! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    You don't have to eat first thing in the morning if you don't want to.

Buy things like rice, beans, pasta, flour and lentils in bulk. They're dirt cheap and a good source of calories, plus you get to learn how to cook.
    Buy store/generic brand groceries.
    If bread is cheaper in bulk for you, buy it and freeze what you won't use right away.
    Buy bouillon instead of boxed stock - boxed stock costs way more to ship because of the water weight then bouillon, so it's much more expensive.
    Season lightly and only buy seasonings you know you will enjoy and use.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Eating breakfast does not make someone healthy. It is o.k. to skip it. All that matters is how many calories you ate in the 24 hour period.
  • TLIVIGNSTON
    TLIVIGNSTON Posts: 81 Member
    this is good avice.. also some veges/salads might last longer if they are kept in a container in the fridge... having said that some might go a lil soggy.. for example i keep kale in a container int he fridge and it lasts ages... same with celery and red cabbage..

also im in Australia, i can got a and spend 50$ on veges at my local market and it will last me a week to a fortnight. supermarkets are more expensive for fresh produce..

if you feel like hot chips (fries) make your own from potato or sweet potato... etc... don't buy frozen foods.. frozen veges and berries are ok.. buy canned chickpeas... always a nice addition to salads..

urmmm im just rattling of things that help me in a weekly shop as im in a similar position that your self.

having said that spoil yourself once in a while as a treat for doing good.

hope everything works out.. remember these things take time to fall into place so be patience..

live long and prosper.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Make your breakfast before you go to bed. Oatmeal and boiled eggs are easy peasy.

As for everything else, look at your weekly grocery ads. Plan your meals around the cheap cuts of meat and veggies. If something is a particularly good sale, stock up and freeze it. Even most veggies can be blanched and flash frozen.

Aside from that, buy rice and beans/lentils in bulk and include them as much as possible into your diet.
  • First post for me. I really need to eat better, eat less and spend less on food because of job loss. It's time to turn things around for mind, body & soul - crunch time is here! Has anybody used the recipes on http://www.budget101.com/frugal/recipes-117/ with fitness in mind? I haven't made any of them yet, but I kinda like the DIY ethos of the site.

Getting up early is pretty crucial, but make it easier on yourself by getting to bed a little earlier for a night or two first, and get in the habit of spending about 5 - 10 minutes getting ready for your day before you hit the sack. Then when the alarm goes off early, you already have the morning routine kicked in the butt before your feet hit the floor.

Good luck!
  • TLIVIGNSTON
    TLIVIGNSTON Posts: 81 Member
    oh yea i always try and make lunch the night before... as far as breakky goes it will have a shake and then some toast a few hours later. (im pretty lucky we have a kitchen at work) so this might not apply to you.. if not take some nuts and fruit in.
  • kynsie2
    kynsie2 Posts: 35 Member
    Brown rice, healthier than white rice. Eggs, healthy and inexpensive.
    Fresh veggies since you probably only have to feed yourself. Asparagus,broccoli, etc.
    Carrots & peanut butter to snack on. (Carrots lose a lot of nutrition cooking them) Peanut butter-protien.
    Different beans to cook. (No canned)
    Chicken is healthy, watch for sales.
    No white bread if u can avoid it.
    There's a couple meals there. Omelets, chk and rice, beans chicken & or rice.
    Watch for trans fat, of course all high fructose corn syrup avoid like the plague.
    Beets are good for you.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Brown rice, healthier than white rice. Eggs, healthy and inexpensive.
    Fresh veggies since you probably only have to feed yourself. Asparagus,broccoli, etc.
    Carrots & peanut butter to snack on. (Carrots lose a lot of nutrition cooking them) Peanut butter-protien.
    Different beans to cook. (No canned)
    Chicken is healthy, watch for sales.
    No white bread if u can avoid it.
    There's a couple meals there. Omelets, chk and rice, beans chicken & or rice.
    Watch for trans fat, of course all high fructose corn syrup avoid like the plague.
    Beets are good for you.

Brown rice really isn't much/at all healthier than white rice. White bread is fine. HFCS is fine as well.

The rest of it I agree with. :flowerforyou:
  • kynsie2
    kynsie2 Posts: 35 Member
    canned chickpeas oh yea these are good
    and if you want them as a snack put a little oil on a pan, roll them around, add some garlic or salt, what ever u like and bake them
    Better than pretzels!!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Provided you don't live in a food desert (like I do - that's a place where a lot of lower middle class and poor people live, that doesn't have many options for fresh foods, and most of the options for food are chain stores that don't have many options or are expensive, gas stations, or discount stores like Dollar tree - and since people are lower middle class or poor, transportation to the city is hard), avoid chain stores and discount stores when doing your shopping.

Farmers markets tend to have the best offers for fresh fruits and vegetables. We have exactly one nearby (but I can't get there unless my sister comes by to give us a ride), and we can get lbs of fruits and vegetables for a dollar or so. Sometimes less, if it's bruised or something. And some fruit is fine bruised, like bananas.

Shop frugally. When buying meat, shop around a lot. Buying it by the bundle is often cheaper. I haven't been able to buy any at all (the past few months I've been surviving off less than 100 a month :( ), but when I can buy it.. I always buy bundles. It works out to where you save up to ten bucks or more.

Don't be afraid of frozen fruits and vegetables. They last longer (don't go bad as quick as fresh ones), so you can buy them in bulk when you have the money and they're a bit healthier than canned (though less so than fresh). Canned works in a pinch for the end of the month, when everything else is low.

Oatmeal is cheap. Rice is cheap. These make great sides or breakfasts. Brown rice is pricier than white... and they're both, actually, fairly healthy. Eggs are a cheap source of protein. Peanut butter is cheap and filling. And don't be afraid to experiment. Part of living on a budget is learning to make the best with what you have! One of our favorite meals growing up... was a simple pot of potatoes, sausage, and onions. My mom made it at the end of the month... literally using the remains of our food that hadn't been used. We, also, loved when she made white rice with burger.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member

Buy things like rice, beans, pasta, flour and lentils in bulk. They're dirt cheap and a good source of calories, plus you get to learn how to cook.
    If bread is cheaper in bulk for you, buy it and freeze what you won't use right away.
    Buy bouillon instead of boxed stock - boxed stock costs way more to ship because of the water weight then bouillon, so it's much more expensive.

:noway:

I never thought of doing this! How well does it thaw, and how long can you keep it frozen for?
  • First let me say thank you all for all of your responses! I honestly didn't expect to get so many so quickly! I am definitely going to take notes and then go do my shopping! You guys are all awesome! I'm excited to start my journey and fully commit. I have a long way to go! But I am very eager! And I will definitely use this site for motivation! Thanks again!
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    It's time to learn to cook! For instance, it takes five minutes to throw together a batch of bread, then the rest is just waiting and baking. It's much less expensive and tastes better than commercial bread -- and you know what's in it!

Homemade soup is delicious, much better than canned soup and much healthier. And it freezes well, so you can make a lot, divide it up into servings and freeze them individually.

Cook your own lean protein for sandwiches, depending on what's on sale. It's not hard to cook chicken breasts, for instance, and then slice them as needed to make sandwiches or salads.

Don't buy mixed salad greens -- too expensive. Buy whole heads of lettuce or cabbage and make your own salad mixes. Properly washed and wrapped, lettuce keeps well in the frig.

Shop around the outside of the main aisles in the store -- that's where all the fresh food usually is kept. You'll find produce, dairy products, meat around the outside of the store. Venture into the aisles to buy whole grains and dried beans. They're easy to cook, too.

You can even learn to can, dehydrate or freeze produce when you find it at a really good price or the neighbor gives you a huge basket of tomatoes or squash.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    If you have the space (and the patience), try starting a garden.

Benefits: exercise, fresh fruits and veggies. You don't even have to start from seeds; you can get some plants at the stores.
    Downsides: weeds.

Also, if you have a card for someplace like Costco, that is good for SOME things in bulk.
    I also have store loyalty cards (for the local grocery stores); these give me special prices for different things (check the store ads).
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member

:noway:

I never thought of doing this! How well does it thaw, and how long can you keep it frozen for?

We do this all the time. Weekly I buy about 6 loaves of bread and put them in the freezer. It takes less than an hour to thaw and taste fine. I'm not sure about keep time because with 6 people in the house, it doesn't stay in the freezer for more than a week. We've also done it with milk, cheese, butter, and go-gurts. Milk products take a little longer to thaw though.

To the OP: Ask your dad if you can plant a small garden. I've been munching on tomatoes out of our garden for weeks now.

Also, see if your local stores have a loyalty program. Ours has a fuel saver program to earn money off per gallon of gas. The weekly ad shows what's on sale but also items that qualifies for fuel saver discounts. While the fuel saver discount doesn't affect the price of the item it still saves us money in the long run. I had an extra $140 for our grocery budget this week because I filled an SUV and a truck for only $0.33 total.

One last one. Sometimes I'll cook a lot of food and individually package it to make home made tv dinners. If I get the items on sale it's cheaper plus I'm not buying any tv dinners (great for in a pinch when the family wants something not in my calorie budget) or frozen snack items buy doing this. Also since they are frozen and individually packaged, there is less chance I'll eat seconds.
  • BEquality
    BEquality Posts: 58 Member
    I agree with many of the suggestions above me.

I, too, am on a tight budget. Right now I am living at home (finishing school), and my family is relying on one income right now. It can be extremely, EXTREMELY hard and very stressful.

I recently discovered the wonder that is WinCo. They have a bulk section that is really amazing... others rec'd getting beans/etc. in bulk, and you can do that at WinCo. They also have spices, nuts, pasta, and more... even some candies. It's great. I looked at your profile to see where you live, and you do have a WinCo in your city! :)http://wincofoods.com/about/locations/california/

If you like salad, WinCo stocks Bolthouse Farms' low-calorie line of dressings. I REALLY recommend the Caesar Parmigiano yogurt dressing (no anchovies!), and the Miso Ginger dressing.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    I bag pita breads up in pairs and freeze them, same as wraps and bread. Take them out half an hour before making pack-up and they're fine.
  • Homemade vegetable soup. (Scientifically proven to be more filling than the same food not made into soup.) Very easy to make large batches and freeze portions. Very low in calories and very cheap if you buy vegetables which are in season.

My trick to guarantee that the soup always tastes good is to use Marigold Vegetable Bouillon for the stock - always turns out delicious whatever veg I use. Also, I like to make soups that look good - bright colours - so I tend to stick with one or two veg at a time, eg, carrot (flavour with coriander), pea (add a little spinach for a real health kick and to make it a real vivid green). Always start with a white onion (you can soften it in oil first but obvs that adds a few calories), then add the chopped veg and the stock. Bring to the boil, simmer until veg is soft, then blend.

Happy blending!
  • pbbagel
    pbbagel Posts: 53 Member
    Everyone's advise is really good so far.
    You should also find the time when your supermarket reduces items. Some supermarkets tend to reduce everything by 20% at say 4pm then 50% at 8pm. If you find out when your supermarket reduces things (even if you ask one of the staff members) you can buy things like meat and dairy for very cheap. Then just portion it using plastic bags or saran wrap and freeze it.
    Also avoid going shopping when hungry to avoid impulse purchases and stick to the fresh sections of the supermarkets to avoid buying pricey snacks. For example, vegetable with homemade dip or yogurt and fruit is muchhh cheaper than pre-made snacks. I recently make my own fruit jello (just gelatin, sugar and tinned mandarin pieces) and my own ice-lollies, for about 1/3 of the price of pre-made stuff. It only takes a little effort and you can save a lot. This rule also applies for pasta sauces, etc.
    Oh! and eating oatmeal or muesli is much cheaper and healthier than regular cereal.
  • You guys have been so helpful!! I am looking forward to going shopping! and i definitely will let you guys know how it goes! Im so excited!
    Any ideas on Beginner workouts at home? Or Dvds that are good? I am pretty overweight so I wanna find something that works, but that I also am able to do! Only ones ive heard of are p90 and insanity, and I dont think i am quite ready for that :)