Is anybody else using Gym Pact for motivation?

Options
When I bought new shoes for running/working out earlier this week, the guy at the store told me about Gym Pact and I downloaded it and added it to my phone. Pacts run from Mon- Sun, so the "pact" I set up last Wednesday won't end until this Friday. But I found that I've already almost completed my entire goal.

For those who aren't familiar it's an app that let's you "pledge" to go to the gym/work out a certain number of days a week, log your food on MFP a certain number of days per week, and pledge to eat a certain number of fruits/veggies per week. For each time you miss doing one of the things you've promised to do, it takes 5 dollars from your payment method. (I signed up via paypal.) I read reviews, and they were mostly good. Some were charged accidentally, but I read up on that and you can send in a Help request to get your money refunded if that happens.

I've found it to be a great motivator this week. The guy who told me about it explained that when you set it up and you're making about 5 bucks per week it can either 1) pay your gym membership (depending on where you go), or if you save the money, in five or six months you can afford to buy a nice new pair of shoes as a way to reward yourself.

I was just curious if anyone else is using it and if they've had problem or success out of it? (It also syncs to the fitbit so if you get your 10,000 steps in, it counts as a workout.)

Replies

• Immab118
    Immab118 Posts: 7
    Options
    No, but I'm intrigued..gonna check it out..thanks!
  • lastfarewell
    lastfarewell Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded it today.
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have used it since the first day it came out. Is a nice way to stay motivated.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I am I like it
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I use it, it helps me get my steps in and reminds me to log.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I use it but only because I know I will meet these goals anyway. So it's a nice way to have some extra pocket change :)
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I signed up for PACT 11 weeks ago, and in that time I've taken 2 weeks off for surgery and travel overseas, so I've actually used the app 9 weeks. So far I've earned about $15. I do 4-5 workout days a week and 6-7 food log days a week, depending on what's going on that week. On several occasions it has been the factor that makes me decide to work out when otherwise I would have skipped it. I have mine set to $5 per missed event, but my sister sets hers to $10. The first time I checked in at my gym, the app checked me out before I actually left so I didn't get credit for that one. I contacted the help team and they fixed it within 10 minutes. Last week I logged exactly 1200 calories on Monday (the minimum) and the app told me it didn't count. I contacted the help team again and this time it took them 4 days to respond but they did resolve the issue. I have mine synced to MapMyFitness, which I use when I walk or run in the neighborhood, and MFP for my calorie tracking. I've never used the fruits/vegetables feature because I'm afraid I'll forget to take pictures of my food, but I might try it sometime. Anyway, I have definitely found it motivating on days I was tempted to skip the workout. I haven't withdrawn any of the money yet but I think I'll use it to buy some new running socks... :)
  • wherethereis
    wherethereis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I need to get this!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I really wanted to do this but it does not support my galaxy 3 phone for some reason...
  • lastfarewell
    lastfarewell Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It works on my Galaxy Note 3 and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!