How much to exercise when you're maintaining?

Options
13»

Replies

• LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I tend to not exercise when I'm maintaining, since I don't seem to enjoy it.
  • newfie026
    newfie026 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If I put my exercise goals too high, I get discouraged and give up. I set my activity level at lightly active and try for three-40 minutes sessions a week. When I was losing, I did both "30-day shred" and "Ripped in 30", one right after the other. It took me a little over two months and I followed it faithfully 5x, but mostly 6x/ week. Now, at my goal for a few months, I was scared I would gain it all back super quick. I exercise whenever I can and whenever the mood strikes me, but I do at least three - 40minute sessions per week. I usually go over, but I don't feel bad when I don't, because I can easily meet my goals no matter how busy I get. If I can only get in 20 minutes, I add an extra 20 minutes on another day. I can realistically fit in 20 minutes / 6 times a week with no problem. It's hard to say you cannot find twenty minutes to exercise even if it's only a brisk walk/run. That way I don't feel boxed in and like a failure if I don't meet lofty goals.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you are unhappy with the amount of time you are putting into exercising then cut back.
    It's all about what makes you happy, not just how you look.
    Cut back to what you are confortable and happy doing, if you start to gain weight cut back in calories. If you want to eat more then try exercising more.....
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Now that I am looking to maintain weight, how much do people typically workout?
    6 days a week, the same as when I was losing weight. I didn't exercise to lose weight - I did it (and still do it) to get stronger, fitter, healthier and because I enjoy it.

Ditto........

Same here!!!
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I think it entirely depends on what works for you.

Weight is mainly influenced by what we eat and how much of it. Exercise mostly benefits heart health and reduces the risk of diabetes than weight control.

I've asked myself the same question & I've tried a variety of combinations. And I settled with 5-6 times a week for 30 minutes of high intensity cardio. Honestly, gym and eating healthy has been interwoven into my life so much that I feel a bit 'out of sorts' when I skip the gym for 2 consecutive days.

So I encourage you to change things up & see what works best for you in your new healthy life style.

Best of luck!
  • ronitperman
    Options
    For maintaining weight its very important to follow a proper exercise routine. Count your calories means how much calories do you take regularly and plan your exercise routine according to that, it will give you more benefits. You can also try yoga it is really good for your physical as well as mental fitness. Always motivate yourself and other also for fitness.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Well you should definitely exercise for the health and fitness benefits more than weight loss so basically pick the amount of exercise that works for your particular health and fitness goals and then eat the amount of calories you need to maintain with that activity level. Make a sustainable exercise program that suits your needs and lifestyle and eat accordingly
  • FatJockSing
    FatJockSing Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Because when I was exercising everyday sometimes twice a day on a restricted calorie intake, I overdid it and burned myself out. I needed to give my body a break because I felt constantly achy and I wasn't allowing for enough rest. I don't dispute the mental and physical benefits of exercise, however even if you're doing something healthy for your body, it can veer into unhealthy territory if you aren't fueling properly or are becoming obsessive, which I found I was towards the end.

Here is my tuppence worth - first of all - congrats on making your goal weight!! A level of success many people have not yet made so that deserves recognition by itself.
    On your post - If you have overtrained and are achy - first priority is to heal. Any exercise that exacerbates the pain should be stopped as the long term damage will be a bigger negative on your health.

If you continue to track bodyshape (photos) and weight you will find your maintenance calories easily enough. Once you are healed and you are looking at "Health Benefit" goals from training, as people have said, do what you ENJOY, and what fits your lifestyle. there is no Golden Rule stating "HIIT 4x a week is for maintenance!" or any amount of any exercise. You have proven to yourself that you have the dedication and control to stick to a food intake of a certain amount. Maintenance is no different to cutting or gaining in that respect. Life is not meant to be a chore. Find your comfort zone balancing diet and workout - and enjoy THAT! Good Luck!!