should i eat my exercise calories?

Options
MissAnjy
MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
hahaha jk :))

I know this question is annoying and that you guys repeat yourselves constantly regarding this topic, but sometimes it takes time to really wrap your brain around this. When I first joined this site, I was under the impression that the less I ate, the more weight I would lose. Did it work in the beginning? Yes. Was it healthy? Absolutely not. I had no idea what I was doing to my body. I was under the impression that I was doing everything right. I started seeing this question come up more often than not and would read about it over & over. I noticed that a lot of the posters were frustrated with answering the same thing over & over.

I just want to say (to those frustrated posters) thank-you, and to give others time. It took me quite awhile to realize what I was doing was wrong. When you've been doing something all along, and have been seeing results, you assume you're doing it right. So, when someone then tells you, you've been doing it wrong, and you need to eat more, it's very easy to think they're wrong & go about your way. I always kept it in mind and kept reading these posts and kept trying to wrap my brain around it, and finally ... i got it. I've been trying this theory out for the past week or so, and I have been successful at it. It really works. So, I wanted to thank everyone who has responded to, and continues to respond to this "annoying" question. Please don't think of it as annoying to repeat, and re-repeat yourself over and over. Every time you share knowledge about this topic, you're reaching someone else, you're helping someone else. Maybe not necessarily the OP of the thread, but maybe someone who is lurking, maybe someone who is confused of conflicted about the topic who was scared to post it themselves.

I think we all need to take a better approach to this topic and really remember that as annoying as it may be, we're helping people. Isn't that the reason you became knowledgeable? To help yourself, and then go on and help others? I was able to go on now and share this information with someone else in my life who needs to break a plateau, and I hope it really does help her get to where she's going. Be thankful, be supportive, be encouraging. You're helping people.

When you get annoyed/frustrated/irritated just remember what you're doing it for. Just remember where you started, without any knowledge. Just remember what society has told these people all along about "eat less to lose". When you've been doing something all your life, it's hard to change in an instant, especially with no questions asked.

Now that i've taken on this method & fully understand it and see that it does work, i'm going to share that with whoever needs it. You should too. Thanks to all the people who have, and who continue to.

Replies

• ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Hehe. I've taken to posting these threads - seems to help some people, and certainly helped me as far as grasping some of the metabolic stuff in a more comprehensive way. Stuff I've known for many years, but much better and more thorough explanations than I could ever give.

THESE ARE MUST READ THREADS!!!! :wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • JulieKay77
    JulieKay77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can you share what you learned? I'm confused about this too. I work out alot (burn 850-900 calories per day). Does this really mean I should be eating them all? Some?

Thanks for your advice and guidance!
  • lheath2382
    lheath2382 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi that was a really nice post you had, but I have one question? What exactly is it relating to? Is this the calories that you "win" back after exercising? And could you explain how it works please and the method you were talking about following? I am still fairly new to this site and havent even figured out how to set my weight loss goal yet...lol. Your insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  • Capucine72
    Options
    :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Your daily calorie goal that MFP gives you already has the deficit for you to lose weight. 1200 is the general number used for Starvation Mode for women. If (women that is) we dip down below that for too long our bodies will go into a "famine response" and hold onto fat and start storing the fat you take in. From what I have read it takes only a few days for this to start.

People that are bigger have much higher Net Calories so they can get away without eating their exercise calories and still lose weight. MFP originally put me at 1200 as my daily goal so any calories I burn I try and eat. If I burn 300 then my calories are at 900 which is too low.

I eat enough of my exercise calories to get me to 1200. I even try and go a little over - say 1300.
  • LJ0125
    LJ0125 Posts: 89
    Options
    I just wanted to thank you for your post. I am still trying to "wrap my brain" around eating all of these exercise calories. I'm still in the beginning of my weight loss journey therefore i have a lot to learn.

Thank you!
  • CobraBubbles
    Options
    Can you share what you learned? I'm confused about this too. I work out alot (burn 850-900 calories per day). Does this really mean I should be eating them all? Some?

Julie, you should more than likely be eating at least SOME of them back. The amount of calories that you're striving towards in any given day is pretty much what you should be netting. That doesn't mean that you have to force food down if you truly are not hungry; our bodies are not as fragile as everyone seems to think they are; that, however, does not mean that you should be going out of your way to eat as little as possible.

Let's say it's your goal to consume 1500 calories per day; you burn 800 calories exercising... well, 1500-800 is only 700 calories. You could eat up to another 800 calories just to say within your goal range. I hope that helps! This can get confusing!
  • MissAnjy
    Options
    Yes, people often question wheither or not to eat back their exercise calories (even i did for the LONGEST time). Basically MFP already creates a deficit for you when you sign up. If when you sign up on MFP your calorie goal is 1200 & you exercise above and beyond that. You need to eat back all the calories that you've burned off. You do not want your NET calories (calories eaten-exercise) to go below 1200. It's not healthy.

My calorie goal is 1200 but today I will be exercising and I know my burn will be 300 therefore, today i NEED to eat 1500 calories (1500-300=1200 net calories)
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    haha, Ive posted and reposted this same response (below) over and over and over and over. I had the same questions for a long time, too. For some reason, no matter how it was explained, I didnt really "get it" for a while. Now that I understand it, I try to help others get on the right track, too. I agree that its important (and fun!) to help people around us who are in the same boat we may have been a week ago or a year ago. :)
    Great post!!

(My trusty old response that I will repeatedly copy and paste until someone proves me wrong):

This is from several posts yesterday, and I just copied and pasted it for convenience sake, so ignore the parts about exercise that dont pertain to your situation. But the BMR stuff is important :) MFP sets your calories based on what you tell it. If you told it you want to lose 2lbs per week, its gonna go as low as 1200 calories. But thats not necessarily healthy or the right thing to do. Really...check out your BMR and stick to it:

Short answer: Try Searching this topic, as it has been discussed ad nausea here on the site.

Longer (but not nearly long enough) answer:
    Your body requires a certain number of calories in order for you to simply exist. In order for you eyes to blink, your heart to keep beating, your hair to keep growing, your organs to keep functioning, you have to feed it a certain number of calories. This number is called your BMR. (Use the tool on this site to check your BMR...) For example, my BMR is about 1490 calories. So say I lay in bed allllll day, motionless. I would require 1490 calories just to keep my body alive in a coma-like state.
    The second I get out of bed, walk across the room, open the door to the bathroom, brush my teeth, pee, weigh myself, turn on the hot water,and hop in the shower...I have burned calories. Minimal...but still enough to start cutting into the 1490 my body needs in order to fuel its most basic functions.

So if I eat my BMR of 1490 a day, I am only giving my body enough to do its basic functions.

MFP gave me 1200 calories based on my desire to lose 2 lbs a week. At my height and current weight, losing 2 lbs per week is not reasonable, but I wanted to lose FAST. And the lowest MFP will set someone's calories is 1200 (For many good reasons). 1200 is sort of an arbitrary number at this point but no one should really eat LESS than 1200, and there are likely very few people who could eat 1200 calories for the rest of their lives and maintain weight or stay satisfied. (opinion...sorry) I lost 20+ lbs eating 1200 cals a day. Wahoo! Yeah me!! Right? WRONG. The second I started eating "normal" again, I gained all 20+ lbs back, PLUS MORE. It might "work" in the short term, but for many here, 1200 calories isnt the lifestyle change needed to STAY healthy and thin.

OK, back to the exercise thing. If I eat my 1500 (1490) cals today, my body will already be at a deficit for weight loss since I got out of bed, functioned, walked, lifted my toddler countless times, etc. So if I were to workout and burn 500 calories this afternoon, my body would be at an even greater deficit, and risk pushing my body to panic. Once your body panics and your metabolism worries that you are not feeding it enough, you will start to store fat at a faster rate. Your body and metabolism will try to hang onto any extra store of fat in preparation for an upcoming "famine".

Another way to look at it: If you eat 1200 calories and then exercise 500 calories away, you are only holding onto 700 calories for your body to draw from for energy, organ function, eye blinking, etc etc. Its just not enough for your body to exist on without causing longterm troubles.

It took me a looooong time to "get" this. I still have to consciously remind myself to eat my calories in order to lose weight. It seems counter-intuitive...but it WORKS. When I eat my BMR and at LEAST half my exercise calories, I lose weight. When I only eat 1200 calories, I am miserable, hungry, and i might lose some weight initially...but i gain it alllll back with a few extra for fluffiness.

Bottom line: eat more, keep moving, lose more, keep it off
    BMR + exercise calories = longterm success

Hope that helped!

Also, if you put your goal as "lose 2 lbs per week" then MFP will set your calorie goal accordingly. That is why it gave you 1200 cals rather than your BMR. Its fruatrating to repeatedly see people say "eat 1200 if youre a girl and 1500 if youre a guy" because every body is sooo different. Dont take that 1200 "golden" number and assume you will lose weight. You might initially, but youll likely stall if your frame/height/etc arent getting enough calories to exist on.
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Wow, good effort! You should attempt to yes. Think of exercising as actually lowering your "eaten" calories. So, hypothetically, say you need 1200 calories in fuel per day to lose 2 lbs per week, and you start out the day with your 900 calorie burn. You are actually -900 calories taken in. You need to eat 2100 just to get back up to the 1200 mark. That seems like a lot, but consider that your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is still burning calories all day long in addition to what your burned during your workout, and if it runs out of fuel, it starts tearing down your body tissue, and yes, you can still go into starvation mode even if you are eating your 1200.
  • anabelle2mince
    Options
    Yes, I just started too and I'm a bit leery about eating all of those exercise calories. I don't know if I'll be able to lose weight, and if I do won't it be super slow? I know when you burn calories, MFP allows you to eat that many more to acheive 1200 net calories. Should I eat all of those exercise calories? I know I sound stupid, forgove me but i would like some advice. Usually I burn 300 calories a day, and am given 1200 as my total, so that ups me to 1500 that I am allowed to eat. should I eat the full 1500 or maybe just 1300 or 1400. advice? What has worked for everyone else? I have only just started
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It has taken me awhile to wrap my head around this too. My problem is that I am so used to eating 1300 caloires a day or less, that even when I TRY to eat more, it is very difficult. I hate to say it, but it took my trainer at the gym to tell me I needed to eat my exercise calories back for me to truly believe it. She is trying to get me to exercise less because as it is I burn 500-1000 calories per day and it will be difficult for me to eat them all back. I had burned 825 calories when I left the gym and was planning on coming home and doing another 400 calorie burn but she strongly discouraged it.

As someone who is just starting to try out eating exercise calories back, it is too soon to tell if it will finally jumpstart my weight loss/ building some muscle, but we will see what happens.
  • MissAnjy
    Options
    Yes, I just started too and I'm a bit leery about eating all of those exercise calories. I don't know if I'll be able to lose weight, and if I do won't it be super slow? I know when you burn calories, MFP allows you to eat that many more to acheive 1200 net calories. Should I eat all of those exercise calories? I know I sound stupid, forgove me but i would like some advice. Usually I burn 300 calories a day, and am given 1200 as my total, so that ups me to 1500 that I am allowed to eat. should I eat the full 1500 or maybe just 1300 or 1400. advice? What has worked for everyone else? I have only just started

Eat the 1500 hun, or as close to as possible. You will NOT gain weight from doing this. I had the same fears, trust me. You don't want to go below the 1200 net calories (come as close to it as possible for you). You need as much of that as you can. I found that I actually started losing weight again by upping my calories to the 1500 when i burned 300 off. You'll be pleastantly surprised. However, IF for some reason you see a gain in the beginning, DON'T stop. It's just your body re-adjusting itself to your new routine. If you don't eat back the calories and have a net at 1200 everyday, you'll start plateauing like i did ... for months.
  • MissAnjy
    Options
    It has taken me awhile to wrap my head around this too. My problem is that I am so used to eating 1300 caloires a day or less, that even when I TRY to eat more, it is very difficult. I hate to say it, but it took my trainer at the gym to tell me I needed to eat my exercise calories back for me to truly believe it. She is trying to get me to exercise less because as it is I burn 500-1000 calories per day and it will be difficult for me to eat them all back. I had burned 825 calories when I left the gym and was planning on coming home and doing another 400 calorie burn but she strongly discouraged it.

As someone who is just starting to try out eating exercise calories back, it is too soon to tell if it will finally jumpstart my weight loss/ building some muscle, but we will see what happens.

definitely understand. I talked with a fitness guru friend of mine who confirmed the "net calories need to be 1200" rule to me. I think that's when it clicked for me. I also find it hard to eat an abundance of food, so i keep my workouts and burns to a minimum. I burn roughly 300-500 a day and eat that back. That's do-able for me. Now, if i had to eat another 1,000, that might not work for me. I keep my workouts and my burns manageable.
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Eat the 1500 hun, or as close to as possible. You will NOT gain weight from doing this. I had the same fears, trust me. You don't want to go below the 1200 net calories (come as close to it as possible for you). You need as much of that as you can. I found that I actually started losing weight again by upping my calories to the 1500 when i burned 300 off. You'll be pleastantly surprised. However, IF for some reason you see a gain in the beginning, DON'T stop. It's just your body re-adjusting itself to your new routine. If you don't eat back the calories and have a net at 1200 everyday, you'll start plateauing like i did ... for months.

BEST. ADVICE. EVER.!!!

Well said :) BRAVO!
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this reminder to be patient and help each other out.

The idea of eating more to lose weight was one of the most important things I learned on my journey. I ate 1320 calories (1200 was to few for me to lose) and my exercise calories every day. I even learned that I really HAD to eat them, even if I wasn't hungry, I ate them and I lost at a very steady rate.

Good luck on your journey. I hope you find a way that works for you.
  • lheath2382
    lheath2382 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks to everyone for their insight! This has definately helped to clear up some of my confusion. Thanks! :)
  • MissAnjy
    Options
    You know the thing i noticed the most when i upped my calories & was netting 1200? I realized just how HUNGRY I used to be. I'm NOT HUNGRY anymore. I'm very fullfilled. I don't feel deprived, I don't LONG for meals like I used to. I don't sit by the clock waiting for my next meal. I don't obsess over food. I'M IN CONTROL NOW. I never realized how hungry I was when I was eating 1200 and burning that way. I think I had it so plastered into my mind that this was how it had to be, that i didn't even realize how brutal i was making it. I eat 3 meals a day now, and 3 snacks. NOW sometimes i look at the clock and think ... oh crap, i gotta get that snack goin :) instead of looking at the clock thinking ....omg another WHOLE hour before i can eat my snack?

Trust, if you don't have to feel like this, you dont' want to!!! Up those calories, hit that net, you'll be amazed how much better you feel physically AND mentally.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input!
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree. In my past weight loss efforts, I wasn't eating enough calories. I would feel like dirt because I was eating under 1000 calories AND working out. I would lose some weight , hit a plateau, then gain a bunch back.

When I first started looking at the MFP message boards I would see threads regarding eating your workout calories.
    It never occurred to me to do that until I read first-hand accounts of the people who successfully lost weight.

This time I am doing it the right way and I feel better than ever. I have the people on this site to thank for that.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!