From 315lbs to Zumba instructor: my

celinetmika
celinetmika Posts: 70 Member
Just wanted to share with you my little story. I am not done yet but if my journey can inspire someone, then it's worth it.

I have already posted here a few weeks ago at 115 lbs lost. I have hit a plateau after that, and now I am at 119lbs lost.

I used to weigh 315 lbs and I had no control over food. I ate for any reason. ANY reason. When I was sad, when I was stressed, when I was happy, when I was alone, when I was celebrating.... and of course I HATED working out. Like really. Hated it. Since I was a kid. In school I used to ditch PE and go hide around the school and get detention every week! Truth is I was never really athletic any way, and always thought that was the way it was, and that's it. I truly thought that my laziness and my gluttony would kill me one way or another, and that I would be obese my whole life and I just had to love (and die) with it.

I had tried so many diets, so many things. Nothing worked because as much as I would make an effort with my eating, I still would not increase my physical activity so I wouldn't lose and then I would just give up.

And then 2 and a half years ago, I tried a Zumba class for the first time. Truthfully, I did not go for the physical activity itself, I went because I needed to find something to do outside of the house, as we had just moved across the country and I was stuck at home with my two young kids.

That was the longest hour of my life! I was exhausted, sweating like crazy, out of breath... but it was fun! I loved the music, I loved the dancing, I loved that nobody was looking at each other and mocking others as I had feared.

So I came back. Again. And Again. And after a few months, I joined a gym.

I kept doing Zumba at the first class I had tried, and tried other classes too: water aerobics, jazzercise, step... After a few months at the gym I enrolled in a weight loss program with a trainer in a small group. Oh how hard it was! The squats, the push ups, the planking... I was really really not fit. Some days, well, most days, I did not feel like going before class, but I did like how I felt after, so I kept going. And my teammates became my friends. And I saw progress and never gave up.

I started taking other classes on a regular basis, became interested in weight lifting (turns out I'm strong! Never knew!) and became friends with another Zumba and group ex instructor who helped me, encouraged me, became my mentor. This instructor/friend and my trainer have been key elements in my success.

Now my weekly workouts include no less than several Insanity classes (yes, Insanity, like the DVD but with an instructor in the room with you) , r.i.p.p.e.d class, weight lifting/trainer sessions, and of course several Zumba classes too.
And on Friday, I will do the Zumba instructor training, something I would NEVER have thought possible in a million years.

So yes, just wanted to share ... I am not done yet, I still have a lot of work to do, but with commitment and consistency, amazing things can happen.

c8619b7c-206e-4308-830a-8e3a348e56af_zps912c6e50.jpg

Replies

• Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Congrats! And I fixed the pic for you
    c8619b7c-206e-4308-830a-8e3a348e56af_zps912c6e50.jpg
  • celinetmika
    Haha thank you! I was trying to fix it but it was giving me a hard time tonight lol
    Thanks so much!!!
  • sh738
    sh738 Posts: 6 Member
    Wow you look amazing, I'm at the start of my journey, you are an inspiration! I used to love zumba and I've just joined the gym, I really hope I'm writing a story like this soon.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Wow! What a transformation Congratulations, and much luck with the instructor training :D You can do it!
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Thats a great story and very inspiring thank you for sharing and well done!
  • xopizzo
    xopizzo Posts: 6
    You are my idol. Thank you soo soo much for sharing!
  • Moses101
    Moses101 Posts: 26 Member
    You look so great! Congrats on all your hard work
  • mkchris
    mkchris Posts: 35 Member
    Incredible! So great that you found something you loved in the process. Great job!
  • GMC_81
    GMC_81 Posts: 193 Member
    Well done you, the change in those photos is incredible. The amazing energy that comes from you now!
    You will be an amazing instructor.
  • tryanother
    tryanother Posts: 36 Member
    I want to be you right now! I started at about the same weight as you. I have lost 60lbs. Almost half way to my goal. I whish I could have one of those 'movie moments' with music in the background, flashing progress images and VOILA, done..... LOL
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    What an incredible transformation! You're such an inspiration! You look amazing!
  • ReneeIsReady
    ReneeIsReady Posts: 97 Member
    Very inspiring Thank you for sharing, you look amazing!!
  • celinetmika
    Thank you so much! Glad it helps some of you, especially if you are just getting started. You can do it! (Trust me, if I can, you can!!) Feel free to add me as a friend so we can support each other!
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Simply AWESOME!!! :flowerforyou:
  • 1jspence
    1jspence Posts: 1 Member
    Wow, you look wonderful. I have just restarted my weight loss journey...I too don't want to go to the gym, but I like how I feel afterwards. I am changing my eating habits, mainly limiting sugar (I really want some sugar)! I will keep you posted on this journey....The holidays are coming.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    you don't even look like the same person! Congratulations! What a lifestyle change! So happy for you! :smooched:
  • sjmoran
    sjmoran Posts: 31 Member
    You look amazing and are such an inspiration! Way to go!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    a huge round of applause to you, honey ....... outstanding accomplishments !

thanks for sharing !
  • Kristin41080
    Kristin41080 Posts: 9 Member
    Wow! Thank you so much for sharing! I use to be a Zumba and group fitness instructor before I had my two babies. Fast forward 2 1/2 years (yes 2 kids in 2 1/2 years) plus about 40 extra pounds. Until now I have had no motivation to get back to fitness classes but just recently I have really been missing Zumba. Not teaching it per se but just dancing my heart out! Hoping to get back to a class next week. Have fun at the instructor training I know I had a blast!
  • branbuds
    branbuds Posts: 624 Member
    Thank you for sharing your inspiring story! You look awesome!! Congrats :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!