Working out my TDEE

Options
Hi,

I have just worn my HRM for 24 hours & have used 2734 cals - this is with no exercise so just simple everyday things.

What is a suitable level to bring my food calories down too to lose 1.5 - 2lb per week?

I usually walk 3 -8 miles a day but missed this yesterday. I weigh 12st.6lb & I am 5ft 6.5.

I currently have my goal cals set at 1400 & wonder if this is to low?

Thanks in advance

Sue

Replies

• sa11yn
    sa11yn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Use this formula to work out your TDEE

10 X (Weight in kg) + 6.25 X (Height in cm) – 5 X (Age in years) – 161

To help weight loss your calories intake should be somewhere between your BMR and your TDEE
  • OllyJ_79
    OllyJ_79 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    A slightly easier to understand site is found here, it has easy to relate to scenarios.

http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee

Also HRM are not really designed to be accurate on things apart from steady state excercise i.e running or walking etc, so the reading is likely a lot higher than reality. I would imagine the real number to be closer to 1800-1900.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well 1.5 to 2 lbs a week is too aggressive for someone with 30 lbs to lose. Also, if possible, I would look to get some resistance training into your workout routine. If you incorporate weight training or resistance training, it helps maintain metabolic functions and will reduce the chance of osteoporosis.

Based on your stats, I have you at 1650 calories, macros around 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats. 1400 may not be too bad, but make sure protein is high to help aid with satiety and muscle retention.
  • Suebepinkydoo
    Suebepinkydoo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well 1.5 to 2 lbs a week is too aggressive for someone with 30 lbs to lose. Also, if possible, I would look to get some resistance training into your workout routine. If you incorporate weight training or resistance training, it helps maintain metabolic functions and will reduce the chance of osteoporosis.

Based on your stats, I have you at 1650 calories, macros around 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats. 1400 may not be too bad, but make sure protein is high to help aid with satiety and muscle retention.

Thanks!!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Use this formula to work out your TDEE

10 X (Weight in kg) + 6.25 X (Height in cm) – 5 X (Age in years) – 161

To help weight loss your calories intake should be somewhere between your BMR and your TDEE
    that formula is spot on for my BMR, but way too low for my TDEE. using the iifym website, it almost exactly matches what it puts my BMR at (1171 @ the website; 1172.75 using your formula). So, you must have meant that the formula calculates your BMR.

to the OP, use this website to get some daily calorie numbers to play with: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • Suebepinkydoo
    Suebepinkydoo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    to the OP, use this website to get some daily calorie numbers to play with: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Think it will take me a while to get my head round everything on that site!
    IT has helped me work out my calories though & I can increase them :)