Increase calories for vacation?

Options
Hi all,
I'm going on a 2.5 week long vacation to the US next week. I don't want to fall off the bandwagon entirely, but I don't want to keep eating only 1400 calories a day, either (especially because I am a US expat and I can't wait to eat all the amazing American foods i've missed!)
I'd like to increase my calorie limit but I'm not sure what makes sense (I want continue eating at a deficit, just a smaller one). Maybe like 1700? I'm guessing with numbers here. How do I figure this out?
I'm female, 5'2", 25 years old, 158 pounds.
Thanks!

Replies

• emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What do you have your weekly weight loss goal set to at the moment? Can you go into the calculator and reduce this, say from 2lbs per week to 1 lb or 0.5 lb per week. Then it will tell you your new calorie goal.

I think what you are planning is a good idea. Years ago when I did WW, our leader always advised to eat at maintenance on special occasions as it helped stop you going overboard while still allowing treats and extras.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I think setting your profile to half pound a week sounds like a very good idea. I also think just going to maintenance calories for the vacation would be fine, too.
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    thanks! good advice. so looks like i'll be eating 1750 to lose .5 pounds a week! good luck to me :)
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Easy solution.

Skip a meal each day. That can save you 300-500 calories to enjoy later. WHen I go on vacation I usually dont have BF to save cals for later in the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Vacations are for enjoying...nobody became fat because of a vacation or a holiday or a birthday or whatever occasion you want to throw out there. I've never actively tried to lose weight during vacation...overall I make pretty good nutritional decisions regardless of whether I'm at home or away, but I cut myself a little slack too. Honestly, I've never gained any more than a bit of water weight on a vacation...and I actually end up often losing a couple of pounds unintentionally for the simple fact that when I'm on vacation I'm up and about and around and doing and seeing, etc rather than sitting behind my desk.

IMHO, enjoy yourself...make decent food/nutritional decisions overall, but have fund. I would hate to ruin and epic vacation because I was afraid to eat food.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Plan some hikes, city walking (instead of bus or subway), body weight working out, etc.

When I went on a cruise (a long while ago), I stayed away from bread, but had dessert every night. I had a larger than normal breakfast, but a lighter lunch. I also hit the gym everyday in addition to excursions. I managed to not gain or lose a single pound, which I considered a success.

The last thing you want to do when you're on vacation is stress about not enjoying good food. I think you should adjust to "maintenance mode". Don't kill yourself trying to lose weight, but don't have a gorge fest either. Find that happy medium so you enjoy yourself, but don't crash diet on your return.
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Vacations are for enjoying...nobody became fat because of a vacation or a holiday or a birthday or whatever occasion you want to throw out there. I've never actively tried to lose weight during vacation...overall I make pretty good nutritional decisions regardless of whether I'm at home or away, but I cut myself a little slack too. Honestly, I've never gained any more than a bit of water weight on a vacation...and I actually end up often losing a couple of pounds unintentionally for the simple fact that when I'm on vacation I'm up and about and around and doing and seeing, etc rather than sitting behind my desk.

IMHO, enjoy yourself...make decent food/nutritional decisions overall, but have fund. I would hate to ruin and epic vacation because I was afraid to eat food.

thanks for your opinion. however i know that when i overindulge in food and make bad choices it negatively impacts my mood and my energy levels. i don't want to spend my vacation eating too much and feeling bad about it. i would rather continue to watch what i eat and feel great. however i don't want to ignore the fact that i'm on vacation entirely and feel deprived, hence i would like to increase my calorie limit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i always eat all the food when i'm on holiday... there are 51 other weeks in the year to worry about a calorie deficit!
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just came back from a holiday in which I ate and ate and ate some more. And then some more besides. It is probably best not to mention the beer as well. I got back and weighed myself and the scale told me I'd put on 8lb! After a minor freak out I went back to my usual routine, resisting the urge to drastically cut my calories or anything silly like that. One week later (today) I hopped on the scale and I'm back to normal :smile:

Go and enjoy yourself! :drinker: