Shakeology vs. GNC Total Lean 25

Amberh82
Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
So I got a free sample of Shakeology with my Insanity purchase. I've tried it and it was pretty good. But I was wondering what the difference is between the Shakeology and the GNC Total Lean 25, besides the greens and the price? Is there another way to get the greens that are in the Shakeology without paying for Shakeology? I know the GNC shake is cheaper, but is it worth it?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Don't get sold by the hype. Eat well. Supplements are only needed if you are lacking in micronutrients and most foods have what you need.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    i think most of the protein shakes are the same, actually. there are some higher quality ones around, and some that are not such high quality. the key is to read the ingredients, see what is really in there. i really like jay robb whey protein and the flavors are so good and from what i know about it, it very high quality and unfortunately a little pricier! howver, some of the cheaper protein shakes made me feel ill when i drank them. but everyone seems to like something different. i have heard good things about shakeology but i have never heard about the GNC one. i hope you get some other comments because i am curious now.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    you can buy some baby spinach and blend it in with some berries and the vanilla lean shake
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,177 Member
    in b4 slew of beach body coaches......wait.....are you a beach body coach?
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    I drink Shakeology too, but I'm starting to think that ninerbuff has a point. It's been great for me when I have to run out the door and have fed everyone in the house except myself (world's smallest violin lol.) Otherwise, I hate drinking it. Maybe it's because I have a bad flavor, strawberry. My SIL has the chocolate and it's actually yummy. If I have the choice and the time, solid food wins for me. I never ever drink it at home unless I'm feeling REALLY lazy and don't want to cook.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Both are overpriced and average quality at best.
  • Amberh82
    in b4 slew of beach body coaches......wait.....are you a beach body coach?

No I'm not
  • Amberh82
    I drink Shakeology too, but I'm starting to think that ninerbuff has a point. It's been great for me when I have to run out the door and have fed everyone in the house except myself (world's smallest violin lol.) Otherwise, I hate drinking it. Maybe it's because I have a bad flavor, strawberry. My SIL has the chocolate and it's actually yummy. If I have the choice and the time, solid food wins for me. I never ever drink it at home unless I'm feeling REALLY lazy and don't want to cook.

I had the chocolate as a sample and it was pretty good (not great). I ordered the strawberry and it has been awful! I did talk to a Beach Body coach and they said add more liquid and a banana. It did help, but I don't htink enough to keep it. I'm seriously thinking of sending it back since it was $120!

I tried the GNC Lean today in chocolate and it was a lot better than the shakeology one.
  • Amberh82
    I'm not looking at this for my protein drink (like after workout/recovery). I'm looking at it for a meal replacement. I'm always running late in the mornings so this is an option I'm looking into....
  • ninerbuff

I had the chocolate as a sample and it was pretty good (not great). I ordered the strawberry and it has been awful! I did talk to a Beach Body coach and they said add more liquid and a banana. It did help, but I don't htink enough to keep it. I'm seriously thinking of sending it back since it was $120!

I tried the GNC Lean today in chocolate and it was a lot better than the shakeology one.
    If you don't like the taste and really see not drinking it, then send it back. $120 is a WEEKS worth of real food.

IDEA Fitness member
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Amber, if you don't like the taste and you don't want to pay the price. Send it back. They have a bottom of the bag guarantee.
  • mayegirl
    mayegirl Posts: 1 Member
    I just started using Shakeology a couple of weeks ago and am IN LOVE!! Yes, it is pricey in bulk...but if you break the price down per day (roughly $4.33), it's no more than a meal (which is what you are getting). And my beachbody coach sent me several samples and I am a Vanilla FREAK all the way!! And the calendar of recipes you get...HOLY COWSERS...this is one HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY chick! Honestly, I think you are looking at it differently than I. NOTHING in life that is good for you is cheap (ie, ORGANIC items), the sooner you accept that the better off you will be. This product is 100% NATURAL (no bi-products or preservatives) and the absorbtion rate is insane!! Each 'supplement' you take generally has a different absorbtion rate. =) Hope this helps!!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    It's a money sink IMO. You should go with real food and if you are running late just pack your breakfast the night before.
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    I drink GNC lean shake becuase I don't have time in the morning to make a breakfast, due to the fact that I work at 630 in the morning. So it is a great way to get the nutrients that I am missing. These two drinks are not protien shakes, they are Meal Replacement drinks. If you don't have time to eat an actual meal is the only time when you really need them.
  • ninerbuff
    I just started using Shakeology a couple of weeks ago and am IN LOVE!! Yes, it is pricey in bulk...but if you break the price down per day (roughly $4.33), it's no more than a meal (which is what you are getting). And my beachbody coach sent me several samples and I am a Vanilla FREAK all the way!! And the calendar of recipes you get...HOLY COWSERS...this is one HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY chick! Honestly, I think you are looking at it differently than I. NOTHING in life that is good for you is cheap (ie, ORGANIC items), the sooner you accept that the better off you will be. This product is 100% NATURAL (no bi-products or preservatives) and the absorbtion rate is insane!! Each 'supplement' you take generally has a different absorbtion rate. =) Hope this helps!!
    Can't be natural if it's processed. Using a shake as a meal isn't teaching people how to eat correctly. A 5lb tub of ON's Gold Standard Whey is $53.99 (0.74 cents per serving) and if you combine it with Essential Greens at $22.70 per can(0.75 per day serving), you're looking at $1.50 a day or $45 per month. That's almost a 3rd of the cost of Shakeology with essentially the same nutrition (albeit a better protein profile and amount from my suggestion). So yes, one DOESN'T have to pay out the wazoo to obtain decent supplementation. You just got sold on the pitch.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Shakeology is pretty decent as a quick healthy convenience meal imho, but it is just way overpriced and overhyped. You do not NEED it.
  • Can't be natural if it's processed. Using a shake as a meal isn't teaching people how to eat correctly. A 5lb tub of ON's Gold Standard Whey is $53.99 (0.74 cents per serving) and if you combine it with Essential Greens at $22.70 per can(0.75 per day serving), you're looking at $1.50 a day or $45 per month. That's almost a 3rd of the cost of Shakeology with essentially the same nutrition (albeit a better protein profile and amount from my suggestion). So yes, one DOESN'T have to pay out the wazoo to obtain decent supplementation. You just got sold on the pitch. Ninerbuff,

It as natural as any processed food can be, compare these labels and you tell me what you see...
    Gold Standard
    Serving Size 1 Rounded Scoop
    Servings Per Container 77
    Amount Per Serving % DV
    Calories 120.00
    Calories from Fat 10.00
    Total Fat 1.00 g 2%
    Saturated Fat 0.50 g 3%
    Cholesterol 30.00 mg 10%
    Sodium 60.00 mg 3%
    Total Carbohydrate 3.00 g 1%
    Sugars 1.00 g
    Protein 24.00 g 0%
    Vitamin A 0.00 0%
    Calcium 0.00 10%
    Vitamin C 0.00 0%
    Iron 0.00 2%
    Other Ingredients: Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides), Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides), Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Artificial Flavor, Artificial Flavor, Lecithin, Lecithin, Acesulfame Potassium, Acesulfame Potassium

Essential Greens
    Serving Size:1Scoop(16.6g)
    Servings Per Container:30
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 50
    Calories From Fat 0
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 0g 0%*
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%*
    Cholesterol 0g 0%*
    Sodium 0mg 0%*
    Potassium 0mg 0%*
    Total Carbohydrate 13g 4%*
    Dietary Fiber 6g 24%*
    Sugars 6g †
    Protein 0g 0%*
    Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0%
    Iron 0%
    Other Ingredients:
    Greens Blend [(Aloe Vera Leaf (Source Of Mucopolysaccharides, Plant Sterols And Anthraquinones), Hawaiian Blue-Green Algae (Source Of Phycocyanins And Beta Carotene), Barely Grass (Source Of Bioflavonoids), Wheat Grass, Alfalfa (Source Of Beta Carotene), Chlorella (Source Of Oceanic Trace Minerals), Dulse (Source Of Oceanic Trace Minerals), Green Tea Extract (Source Of Polyphenols)], Kombu Seaweed (Source Of Trace Minerals), Nori Seaweed (Source Of Trace Minerals) And Wakame Seaweed (Source Of Trace Minerals)], Prebiotic Fiber Blend (Gum Acacia, Beet Fiber, Oat Fiber, Soy Fiber, Apple Pectin), Sweetener Blend (Fructose, Cherry Juice Crystals, Orange Juice Crystals), Natural Flavors, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Super ORAC Vegetable Blend [(Brocoli (Source Of Indole-3-Carbinol, Sulphoraphane And Beta Carotene), Ilberry Fruit Extract (Source Of Anthocyanosides), Blueberry (Source Of Anthocyanins And Ellagic Aclid), Elderberry (Souce Of Flavonoids) And Raspberry (Source Of Beta Carotene, Ellagic Acid, Catechins And Monoterpenes)], Citric Acid, Super ORAC Vegetable Blend (Broccoli (Source Of Beta Carotene), Carrots (Source Of Beta Carotene), Tomato (Source Of Lycopene, Coumaric Acid And Chlorogenic Acid), Brussels Sprouts (Source Of Indole-3-Carbinol And Sulphoraphane), Cauliflower (Source Of Sulphoraphane), Beet, Celery, Kale (Source Of Indole-3-Carbinol. Sulphoraphane And Beta Carotene), Spinach (Source Of Beta Carotene Lutein And Quercetin), Radish, Leek Or Yellow Pepper, Onion (Allyl Sulfides, Quercitins And Saponins), Cabbage (Source Of Indole-3-Carbinol And Sulphoraphane), Garlic (Source Of Allyl Sulfides)], Lo Han Guo Extract, Malic Acid, Silica And Plant Based Enzyme Blend (Amylase, Lactase, Neutral Protease, Lipase And Cellulose).

Shakeology
    http://images.beachbody.com/tbb/shakeology/PDFs/Chocolate/shakeology_supplement_facts_chocolate.pdf
    (I couldn't get the picture to download.) Compare the natural to to artificial ingredients, The daily values of vitamin, and tell me it is the same nutrition...
  • You may want to look at Juice Plus+ Complete - packed with nutrients and only $2/day! For more information, visit http://www.juiceplus.com/+lb36137
    Plus when you choose to participate in their Complete Transformation Program, you receive access to recipes, tips, trackers, educational videos and more! Plus the customer service is excellent!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Don't get sold by the hype. Eat well. Supplements are only needed if you are lacking in micronutrients and most foods have what you need.

IDEA Fitness member

^this

Seriously a waste of money.

I maybe have a protein shake once a month or two, when I can't fulfill my protein macro otherwise.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Just compare the nutritional info?

There are probably cheaper/nicer/better shakes so compare a few then get sample sachets to see which ones you like.