Walking For Health & Fitness

Options
:happy: Once upon a time I would not miss a day of walking. Somewhere along the line I stopped......don't remember where or
when but that does not matter.

What matters is that I have made a commitment and set a goal of getting back to walking everyday and also so that when my
cardiologist asks me if I am walking and can say "yes I am" instead of "sometimes".

It's such a natural exercise, walking.

You can do it inside, outside, on a machine, on a staircase, even in your favorite mall.

I would love to have you join me to support and motivate each other. To share ideas to keep from getting bored.

My first goal is to just get out there and move for at least 10 minutes every day until I am up to 30 minutes for at least 2 weeks.
Today I did 30 minutes at a normal pace.

I go out in the morning. I learned years ago that if I don't get out there first thing
I find more excuses to put if off and then never go. When I get out moving I feel motivated to keep going.

Once I feel comfortable with 30 minutes I will set my next goal.

Replies

• Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Your goal is an achievable one. I've been noticing a lot more walking turning up in the newsfeeds of my MFP pals. I'll join you in squeezing more walks into the week. Though it is rainy and winter here, as you noted, I can do it inside! :)
  • pap3rw1ngs
    pap3rw1ngs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan! I've been walking 5/6 days (averaging 25 miles) a week for the past couple of months and I love it. Once you motivate yourself to get out there, there's nothing to but keep on walking.
  • marise1113
    marise1113 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!!
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Walking makes me feel so free.

Nine months ago I couldn't even walk from the parking lot into the store without my back killing me and being short of breath. I hated it and decided to do something about it.

97 lbs down later, I'm regularly walking 25 miles a week now. Heck, I walked 7 miles this morning without stopping and no pain!
  • castillomom1978
    Options
    I walk 7 days a week and when I started I did only 30 minutes and that was a year ago and now I'm up to 2 hours and anywhere from 5-8 miles a day and since I've been doing that I'm down 10 pounds and I've also gotten my fiancee to walk and he had major back surgery last September and is now doing great please feel free to add me as a friend
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Walking was about the only exercise I would get. I could walk 2 miles in 40 minutes. I know its not far but for me its a good workout. I have since got a bike and will start with 2 miles on that andcsee how it goes.
    There are videos on www.walkathome.com. check it out, you wont be bored doing that. You can choose 1, 2, 3 mile and more walks.
    Enjoy
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise! Keep up the good work. It's how I got started back with fitness after my son was born.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I walk the dogs on most days. I'm also using Vivofit as Polly274. I'm happy to connect anyone who is interested in health and fitness.
  • marise1113
    Options
    Of course I am not ready for these but I came across them this morning and just wanted to share......something for future reference to increase the intensity:

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/nourish-your-health/walk-off-the-weight?ocid=Outbrain=obnetwork
  • marise1113
    Options
    Yesterday was a beautiful walking day but I was only able to get 15 minutes in. I had to take my 5 year old granddaughter with me which slowed things down :smile:

Good news.....my daughter, who live around the corner from me, bought a new treadmill yesterday, which means I have use of it on bad weather days. I hope I take advantage of that.
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I started walking a few months ago and average about 26 miles a week. I'm desk bound in my job, so I have to consciously go for a walk to clock up some decent miles. Sometimes I walk with a girlfriend & we talk so much before we know it we have walked 2 hours. I also go hill walking with my husband because the countryside here is stunning. I try to get out 4-5 times a week - depends a lot on the weather (Lots of rain here in Ireland). Last week what was meant to be a 6km walk turned into a 15km walk....just because the sun was shining:-)

Around the same time as I started walking, I got a Fitbit Flex (I wanted a more accurate estimate of calories burnt with or without walking). This tracks my distance, routes, no of steps & I have a little league table of friends with Fitbits to keep me motivated. It has alos really helped me to monitor if I have a good enough calorie deficit to hit mu weight loss goals each week.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Leslie Sansone walking videos. I love those. I have done her 1 mile video and it burns about 150 calories. It's pretty easy to do, and it's about 20 minutes long.
  • JustXtc
    JustXtc Posts: 3
    Options
    I LOVE Walking and when I can't seem to make it outdoors, I walk ANYWHERE in the World using My FreeMotion 790 Interactive Treadmill... I LOVE that thing! And, I am such a Technology Geek, I wear FOUR, count em' 4 walking monitors EVERYDAY - I have my Samsung Gear Watch, My FitBit One, My FitBit Flex, AND My New iFit Monitor. Of Course they produce different results, but I'm okay with that, because I at least have a good ball park range of my Steps/Floors and Calories Burned. Anyway, All the Best to the Walkers For Health & Fitness! Walk On, Beautiful People... Walk On!

Namaste':wink:
  • marise1113
    Options
    Icandoityayme , so many people have done so well with Leslie Sansone! Now that I have a new laptop that I can take
    into any room with me I hope to take advantage of her videos this winter.
  • marise1113
    Options
    Polly3274, I wish I could walk with my little dog but she is stop and go, stop and go :yawn:
  • marise1113
    Options
    ScottH_200 I think so too . Once upon a time if for any reason I could not get out walking my entire day was thrown off.
  • marise1113
    Options
    it's a rainy day today......trying to decide how to get my walk in or dust off my exercise bike ?

I am down another 1/2 pound for a total of 3 pounds so far. I am happy!
  • marise1113
    Options
    The rain stopped long enough for me to get out and I did.

I am considering doing a morning and early evening walk
  • marise1113
    Options
    Wanted to share this little article I just read:

Technique Counts

As you walk, add to the benefits of your walk with four important ways to improve your walking technique.

•Stand tall. Posture matters. Focus on the horizon, keep your shoulders back, and tuck your abs to avoid arching your lower back.

•Take quicker steps, not longer. Your stride will lengthen as you speed up, but don't force yourself to take longer steps.

•Bend your arms. Bring them up to a 90-degree angle, no more. Keep your elbow fixed. Your hands come to the center line in front of your body but do not cross. Faster arms will make faster feet.

•Push off with your back foot for power. Generate push at the end of each step as your leg prepares to swing forward. You should feel as if you're showing the sole of your shoe to someone behind you.

eMedicine Health