Low fat?

Options
I'm trying to follow IIFYM approach and I've discovered that I have the biggest problems with hitting fat numbers. I prefer carbs&protein (both 90% from whole grains and lean meats).

So here is my question: what do you think about maintaining my fat levels at 20% with 25% protein and 55% carbs? I don't want to loose weight, rather gain muscles, and I also know that fat isn't scary nor bad for you :)

Replies

• quarkenstein
    quarkenstein Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Your days will vary. For muscle gain, make sure to do some sort of resistance work and get enough protein :) everything else is option. I sometimes feel better with less carbs, and fuller with more fats, but some days I'll be way over carbs and that's okay! Find what works for you!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    20% fat isn't a bad goal, but I just wanted to make sure you knew that fat is important for brain, hormone and nerve health. It also helps you absorb certain key vitamins and minerals that your body needs. Though you don't "need" more than 2-3 Tablespoons per day, more is definitely not bad, especially if it comes from something like salmon or olive oil.

Something like 16% of the calories in spinach come from fat. Don't be afraid of fat. Avocados are delicious and probably really good for your circulatory system by raising your HDLs. Almond butter and tree nuts are a great source of all kinds of minerals and unsaturated fats. Full fat (and organic if you can afford it) dairy and whole eggs are also a potential way to get some fat back into your diet. Coconut milk.... mmmm. Now I'm hungry....
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Toss in some of these to meet your fat requirements and you won't need to change anything:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-healthy-fat-foods
  • anuulak
    anuulak Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input, it's really helpful! :)

Branstin, I'll definitely use some of those options cause most of my fat comes from diary and sometimes fish and nuts.
  • robpetrov
    robpetrov Posts: 9
    Options
    It has been recommended that you consume 1g to 1.5g of protein per pound of body weight, for optimal muscle maintenance or muscle gain. Fats should make up about 20 to 25 % of your total caloric intake. You can experiment with the fat/carb ratios but it is recommended you stick to the protein levels mentioned.
    On a personal level, I hover around 50 - 55% protein, 20 - 25% fats, 20 - 30% carbs. Another thing you may consider is timing. Eg, I consume 80 - 90% of my carbs by lunch time, because I train in the morning, a couple of hours after breakfast.
    You can experiment with your macros and see what works best for you. People respond differently to different macro ratios. What works for one may not work well for another. I would, however, recommend a high(ish) protein intake, especially if your goal is muscle maintenance.